How much does 3 points increase your premium? And when to declare it?

Soldato
So after 10yrs of driving I’m receiving my first points on my license :( was driving home just over a month ago on a fairly empty motorway put my foot down for a brief overtake as someone was middle lane hogging and carried the pace on for a good few miles. Cue getting pulled over by the law and seems as they didn’t have any proof on camera of me apparently speeding they gave my car a good going over and found a tyre that was slightly below the legal limit :rolleyes: just my luck because in the Mot 2 months earlier it never even flagged as an advisory.
So I am getting 3 points and £100 fine. It’s took over a month for this to come through and last week my insurance was due for renewal which I have renewed as normal because I still had not received my letter through the post and my license when checked online was still showing as clean.
Now I have received confirmation that I am getting points when do I declare it to the insurance? I have to pay the fine then surrender my license so do I wait until I get it back before ringing the insurance to say I now have 3 points?
And what kind of damage is this going to do to my insurance price? Will they ask for a few hundred pounds extra on top of the price I have already agreed? And does it make any difference what the 3 points are for with it being a tyre compared to speeding?

Man of Honour
You call them now and let them know although they may not take it into account until renewal time, that's how it worked with both my car/bike polices when I got points in December.
My bike renewal has gone down and my car renewal is looking about the same even with the 6 points added, but points for a illegal tyre may well be treated with a different weighting than speeding points.

Don
Now I have received confirmation that I am getting points when do I declare it to the insurance? I have to pay the fine then surrender my license so do I wait until I get it back before ringing the insurance to say I now have 3 points?

If you've got a confirmation with a date, points and an offence code, then you should declare it now. If you haven't got all of the above then either wait until you do, or you could ring your insurers and get them to note on your file that you have an offence pending, and that you will update them when you have all the details. (At least if you do have to make a claim they are aware of it, and you cannot be guilty of declaring a change of circumstance).

And what kind of damage is this going to do to my insurance price? Will they ask for a few hundred pounds extra on top of the price I have already agreed?
And does it make any difference what the 3 points are for with it being a tyre compared to speeding?
For Speeding SP30 as above, probably no difference or a very small difference. If it's not actually a Speeding offence, then it might make a larger difference.
With it being early in the policy, they may just increase any remaining direct debits (assuming paying monthly) to cover the cost of the increase.

Soldato
The insurers small print didn't demand you declare any intended/pending prosecutions (they gave that when they stopped you) when you renewed ? some do .. notify them ASAP

Soldato
OP
If you've got a confirmation with a date, points and an offence code, then you should declare it now. If you haven't got all of the above then either wait until you do, or you could ring your insurers and get them to note on your file that you have an offence pending, and that you will update them when you have all the details. (At least if you do have to make a claim they are aware of it, and you cannot be guilty of declaring a change of circumstance).
I’ve just checked the form I was given by the police when I was pulled over and it’s got an offence code for insufficient tread but as I say I didn’t mention nothing to the insurance when renewing because I had still not had any letters through the post it took over 5 weeks! and my license online was still showing as 0 points so there was nothing to declare to the insurance at that time was there? I need to pay the £100 fine by phone or online today then they will give me a reference code to put on the form I have to send off with my driving license. I will be posting it recorded delivery so I know they get it.
So as you say it’s either ring them and inform them today or wait until I get my license back and it’s actually got the 3 points on before declaring anything :confused:

Man of Honour
I’ve just checked the form I was given by the police when I was pulled over and it’s got an offence code for insufficient tread but as I say I didn’t mention nothing to the insurance when renewing because I had still not had any letters through the post it took over 5 weeks! and my license online was still showing as 0 points so there was nothing to declare to the insurance at that time was there? I need to pay the £100 fine by phone or online today then they will give me a reference code to put on the form I have to send off with my driving license. I will be posting it recorded delivery so I know they get it.
So as you say it’s either ring them and inform them today or wait until I get my license back and it’s actually got the 3 points on before declaring anything :confused:
Think yourself lucky it only took 5 weeks, 5 months from being pulled over I finally knew I wasn't going to be banned and what my fine was...

Soldato
@Dav4
Literally the same circumstances happened to me. I was caught on 18th January, My insurance renewed on 18th Feb, but i did change insurers.

I payed the fine and sent my license off last week. I don't have my license back yet, but i know (from the letter it will be 3 points).

I told my insurer and the code for me is SP50 i was doing 69 on the motorway which was a 50limit due to road works.

My insurance went up £400 for the year. He said because the offence happened before i took out the insurance thats why it had gone up. If it happened after i started it would not of changed.

Also, I just checked i don't have any points on it yet, and i sent it back early last week.

Last edited:
Soldato
@Dav4

I was doing 69 on the motorway which was a 50limit due to road works.

I hate those.

When it is busy, you cant do 50 anyway.

And when it isn't busy, it isn't a problem

EG 07:00 on M4 west of reading last sunday.

A 50 "Due to roadworks"

I was the only vehicle on the road (Well, almost. I think there was somebody about half a mile ahead of me and another half a mile behind), and there was nobody working in the roadworks anyway, but I bet the cameras would have been snapping away had I exceeded the limit.

Soldato
@Dav4
Literally the same circumstances happened to me. I was caught on 18th January, My insurance renewed on 18th Feb, but i did change insurers.

I payed the fine and sent my license off last week. I don't have my license back yet, but i know (from the letter it will be 3 points).

I told my insurer and the code for me is SP50 i was doing 69 on the motorway which was a 50limit due to road works.

My insurance went up £400 for the year. He said because the offence happened before i took out the insurance thats why it had gone up. If it happened after i started it would not of changed.

Also, I just checked i don't have any points on it yet, and i sent it back early last week.

It wasn't in Nottingham by any chance?

I got done doing exactly the same speed back in November, my first offence as well in 13 years of driving.

I got an SP50, £100 fine and at my renewal that I've just done it bumped up my premium £40, so around 10% on the initial renewal premium with Adrian Flux.

Soldato
OP
@Dav4

Thanks for all the info guys. So I should be prepared to be bent over then when I ring them today? When I rang up to haggle over the price last week and say I am renewing my insurance with them for another year which I pay outright we agreed the price and they sent the documents out but it doesn’t officially start for another 2 days having just checked the date so I can still officially cancel the policy and go with someone else if they try and bend me over can’t I?

Soldato
I hate those.

When it is busy, you cant do 50 anyway.

And when it isn't busy, it isn't a problem

EG 07:00 on M4 west of reading last sunday.

A 50 "Due to roadworks"

I was the only vehicle on the road (Well, almost. I think there was somebody about half a mile ahead of me and another half a mile behind), and there was nobody working in the roadworks anyway, but I bet the cameras would have been snapping away had I exceeded the limit.

If i remember rightly there was nobody working on the road, and a couple of cars ahead of me doing the same speed so i think we all got caught.

It wasn't in Nottingham by any chance?

I got done doing exactly the same speed back in November, my first offence as well in 13 years of driving.

I got an SP50, £100 fine and at my renewal that I've just done it bumped up my premium £40, so around 10% on the initial renewal premium with Adrian Flux.

No Hampshire, on my way to portsmouth 8:50am on saturday morning.

Soldato
Thanks for all the info guys. So I should be prepared to be bent over then when I ring them today? When I rang up to haggle over the price last week and say I am renewing my insurance with them for another year which I pay outright we agreed the price and they sent the documents out but it doesn’t officially start for another 2 days having just checked the date so I can still officially cancel the policy and go with someone else if they try and bend me over can’t I?

I doubt it. If you've had no past points or any accidents i doubt it will change at all if much.

The fact u pay upfront as well helps massively.

Give em a ring and let em know, then let us know :D

Soldato
OP
I doubt it. If you've had no past points or any accidents i doubt it will change at all if much.

The fact u pay upfront as well helps massively.

Give em a ring and let em know, then let us know :D
Ok so I have just rang my insurance to tell them of my impending 3 points and I gave them the offence code which is written on both forms RC86027 and they cannot find it on there system :confused: the guy was baffled and said it should be a 4 digit number 2 letters 2 numbers I got put on hold twice so he could speak to someone and he said nothing shows on there system for that code and he was unaware you could get 3 points for tyre tread? He then said to check the DVLA site for the 4 digit code which I can’t find then said maybe wait until I get my licence back with Points on then that might have the 4 digit code to give them :rolleyes: so he’s basically just put a note on there system I’m expecting 3 points so they at least have it logged.
It’s strange because even googling the offence code hardly any information comes up regarding it.
What now? Just wait until I get my license back?

Man of Honour
Ok so I have just rang my insurance to tell them of my impending 3 points and I gave them the offence code which is written on both forms RC86027 and they cannot find it on there system :confused: the guy was baffled and said it should be a 4 digit number 2 letters 2 numbers I got put on hold twice so he could speak to someone and he said nothing shows on there system for that code and he was unaware you could get 3 points for tyre tread? He then said to check the DVLA site for the 4 digit code which I can’t find then said maybe wait until I get my licence back with Points on then that might have the 4 digit code to give them :rolleyes: so he’s basically just put a note on there system I’m expecting 3 points so they at least have it logged.
It’s strange because even googling the offence code hardly any information comes up regarding it.
What now? Just wait until I get my license back?
Not sure where you were looking
https://www.gov.uk/penalty-points-endorsements/endorsement-codes-and-penalty-points

CU30

Back
Top Bottom