• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Oldest graphic card still be used for gaming?

Soldato
Still on a 1070 I bought on 5/3/17 so the warranty has just run out. :(

Cost me £380 but got £20 for the game it came with, so effectively cost me £360.

The way things are with GPU prices currently and likely the future, I'm going to stick with it for at least another year, unless I can grab one in the MM.

It runs really well still, so in no rush to upgrade.

Associate
still got a GTX 780 in one of my machines, and its still fine for 1080p.

I think people get carried away with thinking that new and shiny is important. But there's several generations of stuff that is still perfectly fine.

I also have a 2200g system as an HTPC, and that thing plays a whole lot of games really great and its really under-powered compared to even 10 year old graphics cards. More power is great, but if you're happy to mess around with the setting you can get away with a lot less than you may think.
its not like the late 90s or early 2000s, where if your GPU is more than 2 years old and suddenly you can't run any games :p

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I used a HD 3870 in my daily until 2018, only switched it because was having games refuse to start without DX 11. It had a silent cooler and no freaking coil whine (went through 4 3870s/3850s until I got one without), so was great for semi office use.

Associate
still using a gtx 970 because not many games have had my interest this last while, how ever that is changing now in a few weeks as i feel i do now need that performance jumpo, also a lot more games coming out this year that i am interested in, and i want a better experience

zer

zer

Associate
I have a GTX570 sporting 1.2Gb Vram in my second PC, paired withan age old but beloved AMD Phenom X4 965 Black Edition! Perfectly capable of running maxed out Rage1, Saboteur (great game btw), NOLF 2 and Magic the Gathering Arena and many more!!!

Soldato
R9 280x is still fairly capable for 1080p,wouldnt want to go a whole lot lower/older than that though for a decent experience.

I had a pair in Xfire for some time. Great cards in thair day.

Back
Top Bottom