Glastonbury

Soldato
I've just been watching Christine and the Queens. She's an amazing performer and one of the few artists that really makes an effort to communicate with the audience.

I never realised 'Girlfriend' was her song, I always thought it was some old 80s pop song. Great tune.

And 'Tilted' is so mesmerising and catchy. She looked better with long hair.

Need to watch her set, I've been listening to her for a while and was pleasantly surprised to see her get such a high billing.

The video the BBC is sharing of that 15 year old lad that got up on stage and rapped with Dave is hilarious, he's off his **** :D

Soldato
The Chemical Brothers set was pretty epic on the Saturday night.

Wife and I both watched it and it was a "damn, wish I was there" moment.
I saw the Chemical Brothers at Reading back in the late 90s (maybe 2k) and, despite being a fan, was really quite bored by it. There's only so much of watching a couple of men fiddling behind a DJ-deck whilst lights flash around the stage that I can take.

I've not seen the Glasto footage, though - was there a bit more going on?

Permabanned
I saw the Chemical Brothers at Reading back in the late 90s (maybe 2k) and, despite being a fan, was really quite bored by it. There's only so much of watching a couple of men fiddling behind a DJ-deck whilst lights flash around the stage that I can take.

I've not seen the Glasto footage, though - was there a bit more going on?

Yes, they brought their RGB PC's with them.

Soldato
Soldato
I've just been watching Christine and the Queens. She's an amazing performer and one of the few artists that really makes an effort to communicate with the audience.

I never realised 'Girlfriend' was her song, I always thought it was some old 80s pop song. Great tune.

And 'Tilted' is so mesmerising and catchy. She looked better with long hair.

Prefer the French version. The mrs listens to French internet radio and at one stage every hour you could guarantee this would have been one one at least.

Soldato
Nice. Although I find it easier to remember the words in english. :p

Terrible music if it can be called that, but very impressive of that kid coming up on stage and rapping it word perfect in front of thousands. Did the swearing go out live on bbc?

Just watching Best of Glastonbury 2019 on the beeb and they showed Stormzy. He was one of the pyramid headliners. I mean, why???? He's just awful. Lowered trousers and underpants on display (how original) doing nothing that hasn't been done better by americans 20 years ago. Absolutely no talent except reeling off strings of rapped words that can't be deciphered without subtitles and complete with swearing. What a great artist.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Good chunk of the lineup for 2020 now announced: https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/line-up/

Gotta say the headliners are massively underwhelming, and generally a weak lineup compared to festivals of 15-20 years ago. However, as usual enough on the undercard to pique my interest (Sam Fender who pulled out last year, Noel, Supergrass, Primal Scream, Haim, Manics, Skunk Anansie, Crowded House...). Doubtless half of it will class in the late afternoon/early evening rather than going up against the headliners on another stage though :(
People will always say "if you care about the lineup, you're doing it wrong" but I don't subscribe to that theory; I can have fun times without music but I can have more fun times with good music.

Associate
Kendrick Lamar is really great live (saw him in Hyde Park a few years ago), will have to catch his set on TV.

Out of that list, I'd see Anderson .Paak, Caribou (saw him back in 2014 at West Holts), FKA Twigs (annoyingly missed her in '15, was dragged along to a rubbish comedy set), Clairo, Danny Brown, Kano, Khruangbin, Nadine Shah, Thundercat, and Thom Yorke.

Back
Top Bottom