Best Value mech keyboard

Associate
Looking for a mech keyboard but the price has had me on the fence a while. So brand and switch loyalty aside what you think the best value mech keyboard is? Can include models that are frequently discounted.

tia

Soldato
Hyper X Alloy Elite RGB.

Every bit as good as the equivalent Corsair KB's but about £50-£70 cheaper.

..It's why I bought one :p

Soldato
I picked up a Redragon K582 Surara (Otemu red switches) for £46 (you need to click to activate a voucher before adding to basket to get this price from the place I ordered it, and I think that's one per customer).

I'm so impressed with it that I just bought another one for my youngest son's birthday.

It's got really solid build quality, good lighting options, compact footprint, the keycaps seem good quality, and the switches feel really satisfying to use.

It's US layout, but I don't find that a drawback myself (I actually prefer the wider return key for touch-typing efficiency).

Soldato
I Bought a new HyperX Alloy FPS mechanical keyboard with Cherry MX Brown switches. It has a Deutch keyboard layout, hence cheap price of £38.99 on an auction site.

Replacement UK keycap sets can be bought for as little as £7.99 at some places which will obviously change it into a UK layout. Overclockers do a very nice Glorious PC Gaming Race set of UK keycaps for £14.99.

This is probably the cheapest way to get hold of a good Cherry MX mechanical keyboard. Be careful when doing this though because some mechanical keyboards use non standard key sizes. Logitech and Corsair for example have a slightly longer spacebar (6.5) and a shorter windows key. So replacement keycap sets wont fit. Razer has an even longer spacebar (6.0) although the new Razer Blackwidow X Tournament Edition has a standard keycap set which is a step in the right direction. Ducky, HyperX, Das, Deck, WASD all have standard keycap sizes so replacement sets can be purchased easily and swapped over.

Surely one of the many reasons to buy a mechanical keyboard is the modular design so switches and keycaps can be replaced easily. Yet the leading brands dont let you do this? Crazy.

Associate
OP
I went and did research on switch type first and worked my way back from there. I tried some mx browns and they were ok but I hardly ever type. Settled on some Gateron Blacks and went Drevo Blademaster. Just under £60 I thought was v good value

Back
Top Bottom