INWIN A1 PLUS PSU replacement

Associate
hello the forum,
just wanted some advice on replacing the PSU in the INWIN A1 plus case and my reason is that the case comes with a built in PSU which is inwin's own 650w 80plus gold,the issue i am having is that it was also has a direct wire into the cases built in chi charger which is a three pin of some sort,(see pics),so adding a new PSU i will need to find an adaptor which will power the chi charger either directly into the PSU or through one of the USB ports...not sure what to do TBH

any help would be very much appreciated

trying to upload images but the forum is not showing them via imgur in any format...?

8sRolXt.jpg

Associate
OP
tried using the BBcode in the images but it doesn't seem to want to show as an image for some strange reason...?

the inwin PSU keeps blowing any GPU i attach to it,already lost a 1080ti and a spare 970 i had lying around keeps pushing at 100% so i quickly removed that before it also blew,cannot RMA it as i purchased the case here at OCUK and also modded the case to fit a 240 AIO in the base,and inwin have been giving me the run around since before christmas even when i attempt to just purchase a new PSU from them they refuse to reply,they don't know i modded the case but OCUK do and advised me to contact inwin,have been trying that for 5 months without any reply,i think i can easilly fit an SFX PSU in there
KV4Brt8m.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Man of Honour
So that 3 pin fitting plugs directly into the psu? Never seen a psu with a socket for one of those before so that could be a problem. From looking at picture of the case the other end of that cable looks to be USB that plugs into the Qi charger, is that correct? If so I wonder if powering it off a USB header with a male to male USB cable would do the job? It appears that the Qi charger requires 5v@2A so maybe someone else can say if that's achieveable from a standard USB socket.

As far as SFX psu's go you would be hard pushed to get better than the excellent Corsair SF units which come as Gold rated 450w and 600w units as well as the 750w Platinum rated unit. If your case can take a SFX-L psu then the Seasonic Focus SGX series and Fractal design Ion SFX series which is built by Seasonic and based on the SGX series are two excellent alternatives.

Soldato
tried using the BBcode in the images but it doesn't seem to want to show as an image for some strange reason...?

the inwin PSU keeps blowing any GPU i attach to it,already lost a 1080ti and a spare 970 i had lying around keeps pushing at 100% so i quickly removed that before it also blew,cannot RMA it as i purchased the case here at OCUK and also modded the case to fit a 240 AIO in the base,and inwin have been giving me the run around since before christmas even when i attempt to just purchase a new PSU from them they refuse to reply,they don't know i modded the case but OCUK do and advised me to contact inwin,have been trying that for 5 months without any reply,i think i can easilly fit an SFX PSU in there
KV4Brt8m.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Are you certain it's the psu? What steps have you taken to come to that conclusion? I'm only asking because a broken 1080ti and a 970 stuck at 100% load don't look to be related.

Associate
OP
Are you certain it's the psu? What steps have you taken to come to that conclusion? I'm only asking because a broken 1080ti and a 970 stuck at 100% load don't look to be related.

hey mate thanks for your reply,yes i managed to also have a GT610 on hand which plugs directly into the PCIE without cables and the system then ran fine without issues so am pretty certain it was the cable for the GPU coming from the PSU

Associate
OP
So that 3 pin fitting plugs directly into the psu? Never seen a psu with a socket for one of those before so that could be a problem. From looking at picture of the case the other end of that cable looks to be USB that plugs into the Qi charger, is that correct? If so I wonder if powering it off a USB header with a male to male USB cable would do the job? It appears that the Qi charger requires 5v@2A so maybe someone else can say if that's achieveable from a standard USB socket.

As far as SFX psu's go you would be hard pushed to get better than the excellent Corsair SF units which come as Gold rated 450w and 600w units as well as the 750w Platinum rated unit. If your case can take a SFX-L psu then the Seasonic Focus SGX series and Fractal design Ion SFX series which is built by Seasonic and based on the SGX series are two excellent alternatives.

thanks i will check those PSU's out,yes it seems they hard wired the QI charger directly into the PSU although i have yet to take the PSU apart and check where it is they have attached that cable onto it,i will attempt to do that today and upload some pics

Associate
OP
here are the images of the QI charger cable which is wired into the PSU and the PSU itself not sure if this will help or not,i marked in red where the QI charger cable is in relation to the other cables added in each section,as you can see the QI charger cable goes to three different points and is shared with other cables at each point

UFRhRCKm.jpg r0IGBK2m.png.jpg uYZBMyLm.png.jpg lB1mLMjm.png.jpg

Associate
OP
hey guys can you tell me can i connect this,(what i think o be an earth on my top IO to any screw attached to the metal of the case and it should be ok

zpDbveil.jpg and then to this screw nB23JY3l.jpg

Associate
Hi Mr Sim, wondered how the PSU change went and if you have any tips? I'm actually not worried about having the Qi connected as I seldom use it though would rather not damage the original PSU.

Just back ordered the Corsair SF750, hope to pick up a 3080 at some point and need the extra juice though I'll likely underclock it a bit. Also, can't believe the standard PSU isn't modular (come on InWin, really).

Any advice, gotchas welcome.

Cheers

Alex

Associate
OP
hey Alex, gotta say firstly that inwins response to my requests to replace the unit we're terrible, they actually have an office a couple of miles from my home but everytime I attempted to contact them they were never around, I ended up speaking to someone in Germany only once and after that nothing... terrible company for communication, so i ended up getting an EVGA SFX fully modular unit instead which served the purpose and cut the bottom of of the case to add a 240m AIO, have since watched gamers nexus video on why you should never mount an AIO below the pump level in a case so am also expecting that to fail at some point too... lol... once it does I will add an air cooler instead, also have an older GPU in the build a 970 and it sits awful close to the bottom of the case with the AIO and low profile fans installed but lucky the air blowing up through the fins helps cool it all in all its not a bad case... p. s. when fitting the MB the top left screw is very hard to get to you will need a long screwdriver and a light to access it i have an asrock board installed so not sure if any other board will be different but just be aware, also try attaching as many cables to the board as possible before screwing it down as I had to unscrew multiple times to add cables like fans, CPU power front IO etc

Associate
Ah thanks for your response! I'm actually running OK on air at the moment. Don't even have the base 120mm fans installed though will for the 3080. Managed to amazingly fit a 5700xt THICC III in there so that does a sterling job of sucking air in to cool itself....which if course it then superheats and chucks onto the CPU during FAH or gaming :D. However an undervolt of the Ryzen 3900x to 1.15V and all solid and acceptable temps. Actually if the 3080 chucks half its TDP out the back of the case then if anything may have a slightly cooler internal case, especially with the addition of two base fans to push air in. All going well I'll take some photos when its being done and add to this thread for others.

Fully understand on the "£$£%%$^$ fan and jumper cables though. Had to remove and redo several times in first build (live and learn, fan directions, reseating etc). The THICC can't be inserted or removed with the CPU cooler on its so massive. Top tip, get yourself some gardening tweezers like these.....its the only way I didn't go postal in the end...

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071YYQDRG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cheers

Alex

Associate
OP
Ah thanks for your response! I'm actually running OK on air at the moment. Don't even have the base 120mm fans installed though will for the 3080. Managed to amazingly fit a 5700xt THICC III in there so that does a sterling job of sucking air in to cool itself....which if course it then superheats and chucks onto the CPU during FAH or gaming :D. However an undervolt of the Ryzen 3900x to 1.15V and all solid and acceptable temps. Actually if the 3080 chucks half its TDP out the back of the case then if anything may have a slightly cooler internal case, especially with the addition of two base fans to push air in. All going well I'll take some photos when its being done and add to this thread for others.

Fully understand on the "£$£%%$^$ fan and jumper cables though. Had to remove and redo several times in first build (live and learn, fan directions, reseating etc). The THICC can't be inserted or removed with the CPU cooler on its so massive. Top tip, get yourself some gardening tweezers like these.....its the only way I didn't go postal in the end...

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071YYQDRG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cheers

Alex

good call on the tweezers,hope your new hardware works and fits well

Associate
Hey Gents,

Any problems fitting in the 3080 in the case? Also - what would you say the difficulty level of the replacing the PSU?

Totally agree on the CS component. Lousy at best!

Associate
OP
Hey Gents,

Any problems fitting in the 3080 in the case? Also - what would you say the difficulty level of the replacing the PSU?

Totally agree on the CS component. Lousy at best!
PSU replacement is easy enough if I remember correctly I think i had to play around with cable management a little and obviously the cover at the front will only fit back on with 3M tape or velcro but other than that it was ok

Associate
Alright, I think I'll give it a go. An SFF PSU works, you just need the ATX bracket? Lastly, did you ever figure out the wireless charger bit?

Back
Top Bottom