New build £2.5k budget

Associate
Hi all,

Looking to upgrade with a loose budget of £2.5k. I can spend more but not sure it is necessary.

PC usage is a mix of gaming (some high-end such as modded GTA V, RDR2, The Witcher 3 etc.), streaming and audio work but no video editing. I don't need a new monitor (using an Acer Predator X34A), keyboard or mouse.

I have some ideas (3900X, X570 board, AIO cooler) but wanted to see quite what people would end up recommending.

Soldato
Nvidia's new GPUs are rumoured to be about 6 months off. Your 1080 will do until then. And your Noctua cooler will cool a 3900 just fine too. All you need is a CPU, motherboard, and better RAM.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £693.47 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

Save the rest of your pennies for a new GPU later this year. Bookmark around £1K for the 3080 Ti.

Soldato
Hang fire until we hear the announcement from Nvidia on or around the 24th of this month. If we get a firm release date for the 3080 ti then it might be also worth waiting for Ryzen 4000 and X670.

Soldato
Your Noctua beats most AIOs in continuous cooling per noise
You can get AM4 mounting kit for free from Noctua:
https://noctua.at/en/nm-am4-mounting-kit-order-form

At the momenth is about historically bad time to buy expensive graphics card.
GTX 1080 certainly does fine untill there's actual major performance jump.
And would certainly wait until also AMD has next-gen out.
With previous price bumps accepted and Coronavirus acting as convenient excuse, Nvidia is no doubt going try even bigger "butt syncing" with next gen prices if they get to release first.

Back
Top Bottom