Germanium X Overclocked Gaming PC - Intel Core i9 9900K @ 4.8GHz

Soldato
Hi,

Looking to purchase this. That spec. mentions liquid cooling - OcUK Tech Labs 240mm AIO Liquid CPU Cooler.

I have no knowledge of water/liqud cooling at all. Is the cooling on the Germanium similar to the existing Corsair H100i (have this on the old Titan Ency Duo purrchased frrom OCuK in 2016), as in no maintenance is required?

Cheers

Soldato
Hi,

Looking to purchase this. That spec. mentions liquid cooling - OcUK Tech Labs 240mm AIO Liquid CPU Cooler.

I have no knowledge of water/liqud cooling at all. Is the cooling on the Germanium similar to the existing Corsair H100i (have this on the old Titan Ency Duo purrchased frrom OCuK in 2016), as in no maintenance is required?

Cheers

What's your budget ? Might be able to spec slightly different but still have OCUK build it, with warranty but either faster or cheaper

If your not doing Prem Pro then personally i7 9700k to cut the costs down as gaming will kick up same frames, or ryzen 3700X and even more savings - specially at 1440p ultra wide or 4k

Soldato
OP
Not too fussed about budget as buying through my company :) Looking for a pre built one to be honest. The previous one I purchased on OCuK in 2016 has been flawless. For the cost differrence I'm upping to 64 GB of ram too.

Soldato
Some mild gaming. Majority will be work based as I'm a developer and have tons of stuff open at once. For the cost difference between 32 and 64 GB of RAM and the fact I don't upgrade too often, I may aswell go for 64 GB of RAM.

what was the price point you were looking at ?

again can get OCUK to build but much better spec'd system for the price
Base Price is £2200 for i9 & 2070s + 16GB RAM

matching same price and £150 for OC to build it . Having 2x32GB sticks for 64GB and leaving 2 dimm slots to bring the total to 128GB if need be . RTX 2070S as before. 1TB NVMe drive vs 500GB .

Also keeps it all Gigabyte/Aorus as the Germ spec but wifi with the board

E
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £2,184.56 (includes shipping: £14.70)​

dropping quality of board, 3200hz ram instead of 3600hz , quality of SSD and PSU , lands you 16 core Ryzen +£150 odd for build

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £2,160.06 (includes shipping: £13.20)

Last edited:
Associate
Why did you change the towers in those two configurations? was it due to size or purely aesthetics?
Also, and forgive such a dullard question, presumably you install all software and games on the SSD, what is the SATA drive for? just storing pics/movies etc on?

Soldato
Why did you change the towers in those two configurations? was it due to size or purely aesthetics?
Also, and forgive such a dullard question, presumably you install all software and games on the SSD, what is the SATA drive for? just storing pics/movies etc on?

cases are all done to personal tastes. the second list also cuts down £50 in savings to go else where etc etc

@Plec has the base 500. nice case

yeah, just personal storage - backing up your phone etc . Not always needed. Im lucky enough to have enough helping to samsung NVMe SSDs for mass storage , but still use a NAS for family snaps

Soldato
@Plec has the base 500. nice case
Yep, almost spent double on a Phantek - but liked the idea of a smaller format/footprint but still retaining quality. Looks sleek and stylish too.

Personally, i think it's exceptional value when compared to other cases i've used/built for recently. Plus, I got the windowless version so £10 cheaper (i would have paid £10 more not to have a window - so win win for me.). It packs a lot of usable space into a relatively small package - and if extra cooling is required you can remove the solid top and use the included mesh insert/top (but this will compromise the silent aspect of the case - but it's nice addition for those that need it.).

/off topic

@orbitalwalsh - OcUK confirmed board was faulty (will update main thread later) still intend to fit a Mugen 5 when stock returns - so in about 12 months time :/.

Soldato
@Plec stick with the DR4- you'll upset the aesthetic gods!
It did look good - and cooling was exceptional; a good 8 degrees better than the Mugen under synthetic tests - and noticeably quieter to a trained ear. (The Mugen is exceptional value but i've yet to see it, personally, go toe-to-toe with the big coolers, with my own, limited, testing.

But, i've had niggles/suspicions before that have proven to be right - even if not a mainstream issue. I'm not saying that all the Toma boards are prone to the problem i had when using the DR4- but i do believe it's susceptible when using the NVMe slot and that particular fixing. I even had reservations before i even installed the DR4 on seeing how close the m.2 slot was to the bracket. As mentioned, I've installed them before, and knew the force they apply - but no m.2 slots on those close by to worry about (or none at all).

Probably being too careful but with stock the way it is and no sign of improvement I would nuts jeopardising my main workstation over a choice of cooler/fitting. Plus, you don't see the internals - so out of sight out of mind - but my ears wish they had stock... (My treasured silence :/)

It's a bummer as - looked tidy, cooled exceptionally and was silent even under moderate load. : P*ss*d off face :

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom