Is it that time of year for you too?

Soldato
This is just a rant really... I'm not expecting any answers. But last week I had my annual review/performance feedback with my manager (who works in the US so our facetime is generally limited to 3-4 times a year). He's not much of a corporate type but we do what HR expect us too. A few notes etc. everything is absolutely fine. He's been impressed with my work this year.

I've been in my role for 5 years now and since the last 2-3 I've been pushing for a promotion. He is hiding behind some issues he's had at work (he's not the favourite at HO), and not to help things his manager (head of our department) is also having shall we say.. personal issues that are affecting his work. He might retire etc.

So, in the week I'm getting more and more despondent that my manager is never going to do his part in me getting that promotion.. I've now counted 5 emails from teams around me with about 12 people that I work/sit with getting their promotions. It's like an avalanche and I'm very, very annoyed with it all now :(
Trying not to be a jealous type here... but failing. lol.

bol

bol

Associate
I don't miss that at all, working for A US company for 17 years meant I had more than a belly full of corporate incompetents assessing my performance every 12 months. Haven't had a single on since moving to a domestic employer 10years ago. You have my utmost sympathy.

Soldato
OP
Do you feel valued in your current job/role?
Not right now! No, in all seriousness my boss is an odd cookie and has many people that wouldn't give him the time of day. However I've managed that well, managed being managed remotely quite well and it does all work. I'm seeing the issues now is that a lot of the stuff I can do can get swept under the carpet etc. or just simply not seen.

I don't miss that at all, working for A US company for 17 years meant I had more than a belly full of corporate incompetents assessing my performance every 12 months. Haven't had a single on since moving to a domestic employer 10years ago. You have my utmost sympathy.
I actually don't mind the corporate lifestyle. I just wish my boss had less of his own problems with it and worked a bit more like some of the decent bosses here that are obviously very keen to push people up the ladder. I'm currently very frustrated.

When we spoke about it in my performance review he seemed to lean on the fact (with examples from his office in the US) how so-and-so was going to leave, got a job offer then his manager decided he couldn't do without him, so promoted him. All very "hard ball". I can't imagine all the people I'm seeing promoted here are playing that game. I also think you shouldn't need to do that -- it's much more a US thing where they're on 2yr/fixed term contracts and are very protective of their roles. Way too much so :(

Soldato
You probably know what people are going to say...... Have your CV ready and start looking elsewhere.

5 years is long enough if you are not going anywhere.

Associate
I have the joys of working for a US company for the last 19 years. I got a new boss 2 years ago. She is struggling and has thrown me under the bus as a blame hound. Currently negotiating a settlement and then off to pastures new. Happy days.....

Man of Honour
the fact (with examples from his office in the US) how so-and-so was going to leave, got a job offer then his manager decided he couldn't do without him, so promoted him. All very "hard ball". I can't imagine all the people I'm seeing promoted here are playing that game. I also think you shouldn't need to do that -- it's much more a US thing where they're on 2yr/fixed term contracts and are very protective of their roles. Way too much so :(

The more people are playing 'hard ball' the fewer opportunities there are to go round presumably. i.e. let's say they have the budget vacancy for one promotion, and there are two equally qualified team members:
1) BILLY "BIG BALLS" JOHNSON III, over in the US who has told them he is leaving to pursue another opportunity
2) Scam, the guy across the pond who seems keen to progress but we can keep fobbing off with a bit of box-ticking and he hasn't quit yet

Give it to #1 and happy days, knowledge kept within the team/company
Give it to #2 and we've got a problem because #1 has walked

Man of Honour
I my place we were just told that we have promotion targets for gender and ethnicity this year. It doesn't bother me but my manager is trying for promotion and as a white male he's probably going to be overlooked despite utterly deserving it.

Soldato
US corporate owned company here. We have this stupid performance system (and I struggle to use the word 'managed' here) very badly managed by HR and in turn by department managers.

It's a total joke. Once a year in January you have to compile your end of year review, send it off to your manager after which you hear back in June how they've marked you down. They then push us to put the years' goals in by sometime in August and that's all we hear until January.

I wouldn't mind if something good came from it all.

No one gets promoted because of it. Mostly you have to threaten to leave, or put your notice in, to actually get a promotion. So many people rise above their level of competence this way.

Soldato
I my place we were just told that we have promotion targets for gender and ethnicity this year. It doesn't bother me but my manager is trying for promotion and as a white male he's probably going to be overlooked despite utterly deserving it.

Equality of opportunity is something I genuinely believe to be important, equality of outcome on the other hand will often see the deserving overlooked for the undeserving.

Personally speaking, if I found out that I'd been hired based upon my skin colour, gender, or whatever trait, I'd be highly insulted. The only thing that I want to be considered is whether or not I'm the right/best person for the job.

Back
Top Bottom