Why might my last 2 BMW's audio systems have crapped out

Associate
Im about to pull the trigger on a third second hand BMW 5 Series F10/G30
The last two 5 series saloons i have owned have failed in the audio department, 1st one the amplifier broke on left channel, 2nd one multiple speakers have failed, both were the professional audio spec.

I like to listen to music for about 1 hour per day, fairly loud, the car lasts me about 10 years.

have i been unlucky, is this normal, would spending more money on the audio spec help with the longevity (not overly fussed about quality)?

thanks

Caporegime
Why would you not fix the audio rather than replace the car? Unless I’m misunderstanding what “the car lasts me about 10 years” means, then you’ve been seriously failing in that regard if you’re already buying your third F10.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
“Speaker failure”, really?
I’ve blown a total of one driver in 35 years of using hifi kit, and that was because I’d wired up something incorrectly. Either you’re being told porkies, or trying to emulate knebworth regularly.

Associate
OP
Why would you not fix the audio rather than replace the car? Unless I’m misunderstanding what “the car lasts me about 10 years” means, then you’ve been seriously failing in that regard if you’re already buying your third F10.

next one will be f10 previous ones were e60 etc, the audio tends to go in last year and i have hobbled on rather than spend money on a car that is due replacing in any case

“Speaker failure”, really?
I’ve blown a total of one driver in 35 years of using hifi kit, and that was because I’d wired up something incorrectly. Either you’re being told porkies, or trying to emulate knebworth regularly.

yep two speakers have gone, not being told porkies, i could hear that they were broken.

thanks for comments, no recommendations for spending more it seems.

Soldato
next one will be f10 previous ones were e60 etc, the audio tends to go in last year and i have hobbled on rather than spend money on a car that is due replacing in any case
So 2 failures in 20 years of ownership? That doesn't seem exceptionally poor really, just the sort of thing that starts failing on 10+ year old cars.

Associate
OP
LOL, just purchased a near 3 yr old g30 540i with H/K sound. The mid left speaker developed a fault in 1st month. Approved used warranty is covering its replacement...god hates my taste in music..must be.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Is it possible to blow a car speaker, or do they limit the volume to the max capacity? I swear I blew one in my Seat Leon. It started rattling and sounded awful.

Associate
If they are door speakers perhaps it's condensation on the window squeezing down and rusting the frame holding the cone so it delaminates and sounds blown. Apparently it's a common problem on my Mazda 6 Bose system.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Im about to pull the trigger on a third second hand BMW 5 Series F10/G30
The last two 5 series saloons i have owned have failed in the audio department, 1st one the amplifier broke on left channel, 2nd one multiple speakers have failed, both were the professional audio spec.

LOL, just purchased a near 3 yr old g30 540i with H/K sound. The mid left speaker developed a fault in 1st month. Approved used warranty is covering its replacement...god hates my taste in music..must be.

What the hell are you listening to at what volume to break that many audio setups??? :p

mjt

mjt

Soldato
I'd love to see your eq settings, out of curiosity what volume are you at? Bet your neighborhood loves you :D
Would the max volume allowed by the car be well within tolerance? It'd seem odd if manufacturers didn't limit volume based on the parts' maximum tolerances...

Soldato
Sounds like you're driving the speakers too hard outside of their range.
Based on his comments about keeping cars 10 years and the failures coming in the last year of ownership on his previous two, sounds like it's just old cars breaking to me

Associate
OP
its just pop/rock/electronic....i do play it loudly (~70%)...equaliser is just on its defaults.
i too wonder whether cars limit the volume to prevent breakages
maybe 70% IS too much for a car setup.

Back
Top Bottom