• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Ryzen 5 3600 Discussion Thread

Associate
:D

Yeah, very happy with this CPU. Happy I went with a 3600 and X570 Aorus Elite over a 3600X and B450 Mobo :)

nice combo :)
I have the 3600 and aorus x570 i aorus pro wifi as needed the itx format, been watching this thread but really can’t get to grips with o/c the 3600 and ram, which one 1st,

also dealing with some coil whine ! Thought it was my gpu AIO but don’t think it is now, so. It sure, can it come from a motherboard ?

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I have the 3600 and aorus x570 i aorus pro wifi as needed the itx format, been watching this thread but really can’t get to grips with o/c the 3600 and ram, which one 1st,

also dealing with some coil whine ! Thought it was my gpu AIO but don’t think it is now, so. It sure, can it come from a motherboard ?
Not heard of it ever coming from a mobo. Only heard about it from GPU's.

Soldato
Is PBO automatically set for 3600 and x570 mobo's or do I need to enable it? I'm going to finish off my build tonight and get playing with it properly

Aorus x570 Elite
Ryzen 3600
Ryzen tuned Corsair 3600 ram

is what i've got.

Haven't had an AMD build in 15 years or so

Last edited:
Man of Honour

It is rarer than graphics cards but it can. It's sometimes caused by fan connectors and there are some settings on the motherboard that can help.

Soldato
Is PBO automatically set for 3600 and x570 mobo's or do I need to enable it? I'm going to finish off my build tonight and get playing with it properly

Aorus x570 Elite
Ryzen 3600

is what i've got.

Auto is off. Needs to be enabled and thresholds increased.

My experience is zero benefit on 3900x. Maybe different on 3600.

I see you've just left the x79 platform. So did I, although not as flash as your mobo and chip. I rocked a 3820 on the formula.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

Aorus x570 Elite
Ryzen 3600

is what i've got.

I suggest you don’t bother with pbo. Try and achieve 4.2GHz all core, then up it to 4.3GHz and if you are lucky like me you may get it working at 4.4GHz all core ;)

Try setting voltage to 1.275v and try 4.2GHz first.

Associate
It is rarer than graphics cards but it can. It's sometimes caused by fan connectors and there are some settings on the motherboard that can help.

thanks, I had a quick bimble on the evga forums and they replace GPU's for coil whine, but your just as likely to get a replacement with one, and read afew more posts, its appears running a graphic intensive benchmark for a few hours to burn in etc like heaven can help, so thats what i did for 2 hours, maybe the placebo affect, but does seem to have helped,

anyway ill bring it back on subject, is it just me or are the temp readings for the ryzens all over the shop, tried setting up my fan curves in the bios and in windows, but its tricky having to allow for the bouncing around!! ryzen master seems the only decent read on the cpu temperature, but that doesnt help the fans firing up all over the shop, but at least i have it sorted for browsing now, was ridiculous having the jet engines fire up just for google lol

Soldato
thanks, I had a quick bimble on the evga forums and they replace GPU's for coil whine, but your just as likely to get a replacement with one, and read afew more posts, its appears running a graphic intensive benchmark for a few hours to burn in etc like heaven can help, so thats what i did for 2 hours, maybe the placebo affect, but does seem to have helped,

anyway ill bring it back on subject, is it just me or are the temp readings for the ryzens all over the shop, tried setting up my fan curves in the bios and in windows, but its tricky having to allow for the bouncing around!! ryzen master seems the only decent read on the cpu temperature, but that doesnt help the fans firing up all over the shop, but at least i have it sorted for browsing now, was ridiculous having the jet engines fire up just for google lol
Yep. Something you have to accept.

Have a flat curve up to 60 odd c then ramp up to 100% for 70c

Associate
Yep. Something you have to accept.

Have a flat curve up to 60 odd c then ramp up to 100% for 70c

they thats pretty much what i have, i saved a couple of profiles in windows, the browsing one starts at 30% fan rpm i think, and a few for gaming, at about 40-50% depending on if im using headphones, still trying to get my cooling sorted as have an itx case heat dissipation is a little problem at the moment, getting there thou, currently have the memory on the XMP profile to get 3600mhz out of it, so going to take that back off, and start ocing the cpu, think if i can get it sat 4-4.2ghz without too much heat, i'll be happy, then will try get my ram to 3800mhz which the dram calculator seems to suggest is possible,

Soldato
Auto is off. Needs to be enabled and thresholds increased.

My experience is zero benefit on 3900x. Maybe different on 3600.

I see you've just left the x79 platform. So did I, although not as flash as your mobo and chip. I rocked a 3820 on the formula.

In all honesty the 3930k is such a good chip that I didn't need to update, I only did as I wanted to write it off as capital expenditure for my business, this tax year.

Soldato
Stock cooler. Sitting at 4.2ghz all core.at 1.3v, 3600 on mem with c16 and 1.1v soc. Running extemely well so far.

Cpu burner made it go to 72 and very slowly rising. Need a better cooler for sure. Also need to find the wall then dial it back.

Last edited:
Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Stock cooler. Sitting at 4.2ghz all core.at 1.3v, 3600 on mem with c16 and 1.1v soc. Running extemely well so far.

Cpu burner made it go to 72 and very slowly rising. Need a better cooler for sure. Also need to find the wall then dial it back.

Can you test with case cooling at best, i.e. awesome airflow is the temp still slowly rising?

Soldato

Don"t bother spending too much on a cooler you generally won't see much frequency headroom or additional performance over 4.2ghz. The additional cost of a cooler if too much money could have gone towards a 3700.

For example my 3600 stock cooler would manage 4.3ghz, 1.376v, temps 72-74c CinR20, Gaming 53-58c. I bought a corsair h100x and it managed 4.450 Ghz at 1.43v, temps were 56-58c cinr20, gaming 40-42c.
I sent the h100x back and stuck in a cheap £20 Bequiet Slim Rock, and this manages 4.350ghz @1.35v temps 68-70c cin r20 and gaming 50-52c.

Soldato
@Davedree yeah, getting a cooler is definitely a splurge item. I could have bought the 3600x for only $20 more, got got the better cooler, with likely a higher binned chip. I'd only really be in the market to drop temps in the case, and reduce noise. Plus.. I haven't had a geeky AIO for quite a few years now. Just spent $3k on paying off one of my credit cards, so will see where I am in a few months.

I don't really want to be pumping 1.4+ volts through my chip though.

@Th0nt I am 100% remote working for at least the next few weeks, so I'll try today and do some monitoring. Not sure how much control I have over case fans (not even looked yet). Edit: I put fans in 'performance mode' (not full speed) and it kept it just below 72C

Last edited:
Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
@Scougar just seeing if its the case not being able to help out - I know I have 3x intake that I swapped out for better CFM and added 1x to side blowing directly over VRM area. With everything flat out it doesnt creep because the airflow is decent. If it creeps up it could be tackled by better management in the case rather than focusing on a better CPU cooler which ultimately wont be the source of the problem if you know what I mean?

Back
Top Bottom