SBS2011 replacement with only standard ADSL internet (10mbs)??

GM2

GM2

Associate
We're a small business and have been running SBS2011 for a few years now on what was a fairly over spec'd Dell server (from their 'outlet' and a bargain!).

Most of the time about 7 or 8 users, plus a couple of 'consultants' who have email accounts they access remotely.

We also hold just over 1TB of data, typical office docs etc, but mostly a lot of photographs of buildings and bits of buildings!

SBS is obviously past it's 'best before' date (and strictly it's 'use by' date too!). So we need to replace it with something. The obvious option for exchange/email would seem to be O365. But, due to a twist of fate, and although we're close to the centre of a major city (Birmingham), we can currently only get a fairly poor ADSL internet connection at max 10 mbs download and 1 mbs upload. Frustrating as there is a fibre cabinet 50m away - but out lines run straight to the exchange, which was apparently better when they were installed a few decades ago!

We're working on trying to get a fibre connection (ideally FTTP), but realistically, it could be anything from 6 to 24+ months away.

SBS has been great for us over the years (we were on SBS2003 before). But I'm really not sure what our best option is now - especially when 'working from home' is now with us and likely to be for a while.

Options / thoughts / suggestions / solutions greatly appreciated!

Soldato
As a SMB, i'd be looking at O365 for emails and local network storage (+ external/offsite backups) for data - i can't envisage too many issues going down this route other than the initial mail sync and, if you have them, remote-workers that need access to local data (but then you have the same issue regardless).

Re. the connection, have you looked at seeing if you can new lines pulled from the local cab? Or going down the EFM or leased line (/FFTPoD if available) route?

Soldato
I second visiblemans Office 365 suggestion. I ran SBS for several years at an old employer and I migrated them to o365 when the company grew and more remote working was needed. It was an easy process and well worth doing.

Soldato
IIRC Windows Server Essentials 2016 is supposed to be the upgrade path. The upload speed of ADSL is going to be a real issue. Can you not upgrade to SDSL?

Associate
I agree Office 365 will still be the best route, even with the slow upload. From an email point of view, you can setup a cutiver migration, and just let the first sync take as long as it takes. It will still work just take longer to upload. The other alternative is to configure Office 365 and mailboxes, point MX record so new email gets delivered. Then export your old mailboxes to pst and import them using a faters internet connection (you can do mass import of pst using the Office 365 PST upload/import service).

Document I would transfer to OneDrive or a Teams site (synced with OneDrive). Iw ould copy the files to a USB and upload elsehwere as it owuld be faster.

GM2

GM2

Associate
OP
Thanks all for your responses.

O365 certainly seem to be the best option for email going forwards.

We've been trying to get sense on a faster connection for a number of years - the really frustrating thing is that there's a fibre enabled cabinet so close! A leased line may be an option.

For remote access to data, at least short term while we have more home workers than usual, I'm considering some sort of manual back up to an off-site NAS drive (at a location with decent internet). Not ideal and always slightly out of date, but 99% of the time, would be fine.

And probably a small server on site for file, print, back-up, domain controller, active directory etc.

Soldato
We've been trying to get sense on a faster connection for a number of years - the really frustrating thing is that there's a fibre enabled cabinet so close! A leased line may be an option.

If a FTTP cab is close, then see if FFTPoD is available and/or what leased line options. Plus more bandwidth would alleviate a lot of headaches and open up a few other possible solutions.

And probably a small server on site for file, print, back-up, domain controller, active directory etc.

Other than file (/network storage), do you need the other services?

Document I would transfer to OneDrive or a Teams site (synced with OneDrive).

Depending on the data churn rate and access, the lack of bandwidth could make it a pain; although i agree, for a SMB, pushing the lot to O365 isn't a bad idea.

GM2

GM2

Associate
OP
If a FTTP cab is close, then see if FFTPoD is available and/or what leased line options. Plus more bandwidth would alleviate a lot of headaches and open up a few other possible solutions.
Close but Openreach won't connect us to it - at least no-one I've been able to speak to at OR. All comes back to us being connected directly to the exchange. I'm trying to get beyond the 'computer says no' people at OR, to see if someone can authorise a new

Other than file (/network storage), do you need the other services?
File - yes. Print - yes. Back-up - somewhere! Others, not sure?

Document I would transfer to OneDrive or a Teams site (synced with OneDrive)
We produce reports which can have 100-200 photos fairly regularly. Trying to put those together with a 10/1 mbs down/up wouldn't be fun!

So any other suggestions or thoughts appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom