Software or Hardware - Sharing a Mouse & Keyboard

Soldato
We're on the last stretch before our office shuts and we will be working from home! I've already been relegated upstairs on my own so we can space out the main office (only a small company of 10).

When the shutdown happens, our IT wants us to take our computers home, to work from home with, rather than using our own home PC's (Security, Licencing etc...)

Problem is I live in a small Flat, My Work PC is HUGE (HP Z230) and I already have a large home computer, that Myself, the wife, and kids use... We have no space to set up another full computer system!!

I initially thought KVM to save on space (there's just enough for the Work Tower along side the Home PC)... But my monitor has multiple inputs (2x HDMI, 1x DVI) so I'd only need Keyboard and Mouse sharing between the two computers.

I've looked on various buying sites (no names) for a KM switches and they seem to be £10 - £25 with very mixed reviews! I've also googled KM software, and found a few (Synergy, Input Director etc.. even one from a Microsoft developer), but again mixed reviews!

Anyone out there have any recommendations? do you use hardware? Software? which ones? how much?? I don't want to have to spend too much!!

Thanks in advance!
Sim.

Man of Honour
If your monitor has multiple inputs then only the keyboard and mouse are an issue. A KVM is an option and they can be had cheaply on ebay. But another (slightly more expensive) option would be a keyboard and mouse which can switch between different devices. For example Logitech make several keyboards and several mice which can connect to multiple bluetooth devices or through a wireless USB adapter. Then you switch between devices using a button on the mouse and keyboard.

Associate
I use Synergy daily and think it's great. The only issue I have is that once in a blue moon it will stop working but it's very quick and easy to resolve by restarting the service. I have separate monitors for my work and personal PCs but it should work fine for your use-case.

Having said that, you would have to move the mouse to get to the desktop you want and also switch inputs on you monitor and that sounds like a lot of faff to me. A cheap KVM switch would be less trouble, I think. RDP too probably as you could use your PC and have a work RDP session open in a window. If you don't like RDP you could also consider something like NoMachine.

Soldato
OP
How would I set up an RDP on my home network? I've used it before!! but it was set up b someone else!!

My home PC is Win10 Home (doesn't have RDP) and the work machine is Win10 Pro

I do have Teamviewer on both machines! would that be a good alternative?

Cheers
Sim

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom