Half-Life: Alyx

Soldato
Bloomin typical!!!

I was really looking forward to diving in to this and then my Quests fan decides to go and die so I have to send it back to Oculus for a replacement. What with the current situation who knows when I'll get one sent back to me!

That sucks :(

Turnaround is pretty quick normally, but as you say the current situation means you could be waiting a long while. It's a shame Oculus don't do advance replacement like Valve and Amazon do.

I nearly didn't get my Index, as it has been stuck in the Parcelfarce depot since last Friday and no-one could tell me when I might get it. I was concerned that with the current situation I might not get it in time for Alyx or that it could end up damaged or lost, so I ended up having to drive over to the depot to collect it in person.

Associate
That sucks :(

Turnaround is pretty quick normally, but as you say the current situation means you could be waiting a long while. It's a shame Oculus don't do advance replacement like Valve and Amazon do.

I nearly didn't get my Index, as it has been stuck in the Parcelfarce depot since last Friday and no-one could tell me when I might get it. I was concerned that with the current situation I might not get it in time for Alyx or that it could end up damaged or lost, so I ended up having to drive over to the depot to collect it in person.

Thanks Ravenger, not a lot I can do so will have to wait it out.

I read you picked up your Index in the other post, really glad you managed to get it in time without much issue although its a shame you had to go out of your way to get!

Anyway I'll look forward to reading all the "This game is amazing, VR's killer app!" posts while I go sulk in a corner :D

Man of Honour
Just pre-ordered. I get time on games so infrequently (or at least small chunks) that I need to finish Far Cry 5, which I started playing on release, before Monday!

Caporegime
Does anyone intend to play Alyx in sitting only?

I want this, but I don't have room to use VR in a "room" based capacity. Unless I move my pc to the front room, which I'd rather not do.

Don
Does anyone intend to play Alyx in sitting only?

I want this, but I don't have room to use VR in a "room" based capacity. Unless I move my pc to the front room, which I'd rather not do.

Why not standing mode, rather than sitting? You dont need much space for that

Caporegime
Why not standing mode, rather than sitting? You dont need much space for that
Well thats also an option. I could push my chair away.

Although I just read in another thread that with the quest, and decent wifi you can stream the game from your PC. My PC is hard wired into the network, and the 5G router is in my living room. I'd be standing right next to it. That could also work, untethered...

Right hmmm....540eur for 1 game....

God dammit :p

Soldato
I'm using SteamVR in standing mode, as my PC is in an attic with limited space and sloping ceilings. Works very well, and I have the boundary circle permanently on the floor so I can see if I'm moving too far.

Associate
The trailer to me looks like a game from 2005. It's too little too late for me.
If games in 2005 could run stereoscopically at 90fps at these resolutions, I'd maybe agree with you. And that's before we even mention VR interactivity.

I'm playing though stock HL2 at the moment which is a late 2004 game, and it looks waaaay worse than the Alyx trailer. The water reflections are good, but the textures and models are poor to say the least.

Soldato
If games in 2005 could run stereoscopically at 90fps at these resolutions, I'd maybe agree with you. And that's before we even mention VR interactivity.

I'm playing though stock HL2 at the moment which is a late 2004 game, and it looks waaaay worse than the Alyx trailer. The water reflections are good, but the textures and models are poor to say the least.

i know half life 1 and 2 I played them when they were released, I’m 37.

it just doesn’t look any better than Half life 2 i all I was saying.

If the vr works I might get one towards the end of the year depending on metacritic scores.

Soldato
i know half life 1 and 2 I played them when they were released, I’m 37.

it just doesn’t look any better than Half life 2 i all I was saying.

If the vr works I might get one towards the end of the year depending on metacritic scores.
With vr games you need tobe in a headset playing them, watching a youtube video of a game is no way to compare the experience you get going from monitors to vr.
Have you tried high end vr?

Associate
Yes, totally agree with that, the first thing you notice in vr is the sense of depth and scale. The immersion that this game is going to produce is going to be amazing, nothing else out currently will be in the same league.
This really will be a game changer

Soldato
To be fair I’ve not tried VR since at Earls Court in 1994 when the Amiga was king :)
My advice is don't try it unless you've got a few grand to upgrade your pc and buy a headset, if you try it you will want one. Iam on my 4th headset had a vive, cv1, go and now a rift s. Having a head crab jump out at you from the shadows in vr will be terrifying. Zombies will look 6ft tall, the citadel will tower over you just like looking at a real skyscraper. Cannot wait for Monday now.:D

Soldato
My advice is don't try it unless you've got a few grand to upgrade your pc and buy a headset, if you try it you will want one. Iam on my 4th headset had a vive, cv1, go and now a rift s. Having a head crab jump out at you from the shadows in vr will be terrifying. Zombies will look 6ft tall, the citadel will tower over you just like looking at a real skyscraper. Cannot wait for Monday now.:D

Pretty much.

The dogs in Skyrim on my PC were a nuissance. In VR they were terrifying when I first saw them.

Now.. onto dragons and skeletons..

Soldato
You really can't get across how real VR feels and how big things are. It's one thing to look at a building on a screen, and another then stand inside it in VR, gazing at the ceiling and spotting all the details you missed before, or to stand in front of a monster on a monitor, and then have it being right there looming over you in VR, invading your personal space.

Even things like Truck Simulator can fool you. I was driving along the motorway in Truck Simulator VR and went to lean my elbow on the window sill, as I do when driving in real life, and took a sudden lurch sideways because of course it didn't exist! :rolleyes: Also just the other day I was playing Thrill Of The Fight, the boxing sim, and after a particually tiring round went back to the corner and absent mindedly tried to sit on the stool, which of course, didn't exist so I found myself suddenly falling backwards onto the floor. :D. I'm normally wise to this sort of thing but the immersiveness still catches me out occasionally.

Back
Top Bottom