AirPods (and AirPods Pro [and AirPods Pro 2nd generation]) now available

Man of Honour
Has anyone here who uses the AirPod Pro’s for calls has any complaints from the other end saying it’s all really muffled? If so, any workarounds?

Soldato
They are what they are - AirPods suffice for most, get Pros if you value noise cancellation

Consider Apple Care (£29) to guarantee you 2 years of usage as the batteries degrade quickly with heavy use

Soldato
What's the verdict on the AirPod Pros? thinking of getting some to replace my Sony WF1000XM3. I know they probably wont sound quite as good but the connection with the Sony's leave a lot to be desired.

Soldato
I’m kind of on the fence having had a pair for a few months.

The good:

- Noise cancelling is actually very impressive for something so small
- The automatic pairing is great
- Very comfortable in the ear and don’t hurt after Prolonged wearing at my desk
- the force touch controls are surprising intuitive
- sounds pretty good. Not critical listening good but for the tube and commute they’re good enough (this is versus my shure SE846)
- battery life is great and with the case means only have to charge at night.

the not so good

- tips are hopeless at maintaining a seal apart from when sat still or strolling very slowly. I’ve tried all sizes, modding them with memory foam and they can’t maintain a good seal for me especially when walking or running which really affects sound quality. YMMV
- whilst the Bluetooth magic is good it isn’t perfect. Sometimes they don’t pair or get stuck on some really bad codec and music sounds awful (I think this is a software bug caused by some apps) and require being re-paired with my phone
- multi device pairing seems non existent. I have two iPhones (personal and work) and it would be great to be connected to both but I’ve never managed it and it doesn’t seem to be a feature.

Commissario
- tips are hopeless at maintaining a seal apart from when sat still or strolling very slowly. I’ve tried all sizes, modding them with memory foam and they can’t maintain a good seal for me especially when walking or running which really affects sound quality. YMMV
Agreed and that's why I returned mine.
- whilst the Bluetooth magic is good it isn’t perfect. Sometimes they don’t pair or get stuck on some really bad codec and music sounds awful (I think this is a software bug caused by some apps) and require being re-paired with my phone
I've never experienced this with any AirPods, neither the original ones which I'm still using daily or the AirPods Pro.
- multi device pairing seems non existent. I have two iPhones (personal and work) and it would be great to be connected to both but I’ve never managed it and it doesn’t seem to be a feature.
My original ones are paired with both my own and my work iPhones. I can't connect to them both at the same time but I can use them on either without any problems.

Soldato
Yeah I was used to the super quick pairing of my first generation AirPods. They'd be connected and ready for music by the time it was out of the case and in my ear.

Was going to give my partner my WF1000XM3s and probably still will but think I'll get some airpods and trial them for a week and see if I want to keep them

Soldato
I've never experienced this with any AirPods, neither the original ones which I'm still using daily or the AirPods Pro.

I’ve had two pairs and found this with both. It’s probably me being an idiot but who knows.

I think the codec issues are either:

1. Voice dictation on Non-Apple keyboards like the Gboard which I use a lot but jumps out of the keyboard for voice dictation and I think confuses spotify. (Probably an edge case)

2. Terrible interference on the packed commuter tubes/trains which are AirPod central and it tries to keep connection but drops to a more basic codec which requires a re-pair to get back to the higher quality audio

My original ones are paired with both my own and my work iPhones. I can't connect to them both at the same time but I can use them on either without any problems.

My issue is I spend a lot of time having to manually connect between phones as I mainly listen to music via my personal phone but do most of my calls on the work phone. Again, not a specified feature of them but would be nice to have given other bluetooth earphones can do it.

Ultimately, the fit is the most annoying thing. I'm hoping there will be memory foam tips soon.

Soldato
That's the single reason I returned mine after about a week because with a bad fit, they were effectively useless. It's been months now, are there still no third party tips on the market?

So there are a variety of ebay and kickstarter stuff but all looks a bit hacky and limited reviews. I've resorted to adding memory foam under the silicon tip (macstories had a guide). Isolation is better but they still slip out when walking quickly as I think the silcon is the issue for me.

Comply foam have said there are tips coming soon, so hopefully that will solve it.

Back
Top Bottom