Yikes.... I only just went and did it!

Soldato
Hello y'all, first time posting in this sub (never thought that would happen!)

This time last week, I was reminiscing my trip around the world last year. I owed a lot of the adventures to doing some mileage on an automatic scooter.

I did some basic research and I was hooked. On Monday I made a few calls and by Wednesday I was taking my CBT and riding a manual for the first time ever. The whole thing was over in 3 hours and he spent of the time prepping me for mod 1 if I proceeded with it.

I had ordered my helmet, L plates and essentials ready for my bike.

On Thursday, I set off at 5:30am to view a YZF R125 at a garage. 4.7 on google with 270 reviews. They assured me the bike was 'mint' and 'like new'. I arrived to find that it was trashed. It had been dropped, display wasn't working... I was actually in disbelief :(

On the train home, having spent time, money and energy, I couldn't help but feel deflated.

I thought I would follow up a lead on another bike that I was eyeing up but it was pulled from sale but the buyer fell through. Before I knew it, I had the keys in my hand to this Yamaha MT125 that has done only a mere 1400 miles and had a full service and feels pretty much new.

I was in love.

Meet my first bike:

y0aQSmS.jpg

I don't know anyone with a bike, let alone ever thinking about owning a bike.

This is the biggest (craziest) decision I've made in a few days. I know it's a 125 but honestly, I'm having more fun with this 15bhp bike than I have with my 369bhp car :D

A few questions:

1. Has anyone gone from scooter to manual bike? How long does it take before the clutch process becomes instinctive? I really struggled with constantly reminding myself the the clutch isn't the rear break :o

2. Does anyone own this bike or have any experience? Would appreciate any advice and pointers to a community of riders (or even mt125 club).

3. I'd like to learn how to cover basic maintenance. Any resources to share?

Soldato
Congrats and great choice, I think all the Mt's are great from the 125 upto the MT10...

Once you've spent a few hours/days riding and getting used to the controls you'll be fine, I know why you mean as I went from a scooter to a geared 125 but got the nack of it with plenty of time on the bike...

There is a different feeling on a bike you just can't really explain to some car drivers that haven't experienced 2 wheels... I'm just taking my car lessons but my god I'm missing 2 wheels already :p

Associate
Congrats, love the Mt line, can't offer much advice on that particular bike I'm affraid.

Q1-practice, it all becomes muscle memory

Q3- YouTube helped me a lot. So many videos on bike maintenance, it's a popular bike so you might even find model specific videos

Associate
Seconded. Learn by doing and get out and ride for fun, not to actually get somewhere in particular.

I assume there's a Haynes manual knocking about for the bike.

Man of Honour
Thanks guys.

I'm trying to refine getting out of the house. It takes me too long to gear up and remove locks. I'm sure it'll improve. Currently it's around 15-20 minutes.

Hey Tom, great to see you here. You ride?
I do, been riding for 5 years this year. Started on a YBR 125 and I'm now on a 1100 Honda Blackbird, you'll soon catch the bug and end up getting your full licence :D

I commuted in on the bike this morning and it still takes me 15ish minutes to kit up and roll the bike out of the garden, it's a downside but worth it!

Soldato
OP
I do, been riding for 5 years this year. Started on a YBR 125 and I'm now on a 1100 Honda Blackbird, you'll soon catch the bug and end up getting your full licence :D

I commuted in on the bike this morning and it still takes me 15ish minutes to kit up and roll the bike out of the garden, it's a downside but worth it!
Brilliant! We've got to go for a ride some time.

Do you ride to the gym?

Man of Honour
Brilliant! We've got to go for a ride some time.

Do you ride to the gym?

Definitely when the weathers a bit better a nice blast through the peak district.

I have done, I tend to drive though as getting out of all your kit fitting it in a locker and then getting back into it all when you're warm from the gym isn't the most pleasant it's also a bit of a squeeze in a backpack if I've got lifting shoes/belt/plus normal kit.

Soldato
OP
Definitely when the weathers a bit better a nice blast through the peak district.

I have done, I tend to drive though as getting out of all your kit fitting it in a locker and then getting back into it all when you're warm from the gym isn't the most pleasant it's also a bit of a squeeze in a backpack if I've got lifting shoes/belt/plus normal kit.
Give me a shout in my trust if you're heading to the peaks :)

I've encountered the same problem. The lockers in my gym aren't big enough for a helmet and if I'm carrying my lifting shoes or belt, my backpack can't house the helmet lol.

Associate
I've not used one (oh and maybe the bike has one) but you can get little helmet locks (I've seen things mostly looking like those thin cycle chain/lines) and lock lid to bike. Keep it the right way up and rain shouldn't be an issue. There's probably internets explaining it better than me :).

Dunno how much a 40L top box will impact a 125 handling! When I used to climb I'd leave the lid in a pannier, and ram everything else in a locker. I'll second Tom's comment on getting back into heavy gear after all that isn't fun, and my gloves always felt tighter!

As for getting ready, it gets quicker as you get more familiar. I know when it's time to leave the office I can have everything on and ready to go in pretty short order! My textiles go over my work/normal stuff.

Soldato
OP
Yesterday was a real ball ache, I had some errands to run and I was stuck with carrying it for like an hour (so annoying).

I've not used one (oh and maybe the bike has one) but you can get little helmet locks (I've seen things mostly looking like those thin cycle chain/lines) and lock lid to bike. Keep it the right way up and rain shouldn't be an issue. There's probably internets explaining it better than me :).

Dunno how much a 40L top box will impact a 125 handling! When I used to climb I'd leave the lid in a pannier, and ram everything else in a locker. I'll second Tom's comment on getting back into heavy gear after all that isn't fun, and my gloves always felt tighter!

As for getting ready, it gets quicker as you get more familiar. I know when it's time to leave the office I can have everything on and ready to go in pretty short order! My textiles go over my work/normal stuff.
I've been thinking of both ways. Having spent more than I wanted to, I'm trying to stay away from buying any more non-essentials.

As for locking it to the bike, I can't help but feel some scrote will steal it :( Maybe I'll buy a cheaper helmet for gym.

Congrats on the bike!

Check under the pillion seat, you might just find hooks to attach a helmet with a double D ring style helmet. Most japanese bikes have this, and for sunny days its very handy, used it all the time on the SV with a helmet cover on top (to avoid too much sun). As long as no rain its great. Shame BMWs don't have this :/

I had a look and weirdly there's nothing there.

Welcome to the better way to burn petrol :)
Hah, I like it!

Back
Top Bottom