Votes: 104 11.7%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Caporegime
OP
Well to be fair, he said "it WILL go the same way" which is right in a few years time. The PCs will be doing ray tracing things that these new consoles can't do. But I'd rather have a system that lasts six or seven years than having to keep adding parts to a PC. That's one lesson I've learned since buying mine. It's 2 years old and already feels out-of-date.

But if they do a mid-gen refresh again, then my point goes out the window.

Associate
This!

Running an 8 Core Navi 2 based CPU and an RDNA2 based GPU which isn't even released on the PC market yet is hardly a 'mediocre' PC. This is probably way faster than 90% of the current 'gaming' PC's out there especially considering that on the most recent Steam survey the most common configuration is a 4 core CPU and a GTX 1060 gpu!

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

The Series X is supposedly as powerful as a GTX 2080 which is less than 1% of the survey results...

Shawrey
This point hits the nail on the head, people in here forget sometimes it is a hardcore gaming PC forum and that the majority of what are called "gaming PC's" out there are a million miles away specs wise from what most on here have, so the next gen consoles are very attractive what you get for the price

Associate
Hope they have the UI nailed at launch. It's been a complete shambles and lag filled mess since day 1.
It's only started to feel ok to use since the latest version.

If you disable what i think is called "menu animations" or something, it does help. Allbeit, not enough. Bit late with that info xD

But the UI you'd like to think will be good this time round. Not because the hardware is decent, but because many updates to the UI would indicate they knew of the issues and read the many complaints.

However that share button looks ominous. While very cool, again, more focus on non pure game type stuff.

Soldato
From the videos though, it's the same UI tthough right?

Would make sense why they changed it AGAIN so close to the end of the generation, and finally fixed the speed issues they'd ignored for 7 years.

Soldato
I’m a big Xbox fan but yeah - this is a major opportunity to change that damn UI. If it’s exactly the same it doesn’t even *feel* like you are using a new machine.

Soldato
I believe they talked about why blades just wouldn't be able to cut it in newer machines. Like the sheer amount of new info isn't able to be displayed in blades even if you stripped a lot of things away.

Soldato
Their excuses against the blade UI are nonsense IMO. They could easily still fit the advertisements for **** in there, as well as all the relevant information or buttons to them that we need. Even more so now the majority will be playing 32" plus screens at 1080p to 4K.

Caporegime
OP
I would quite like to see what Apple could do with the user interface. I don't know whether an Apple TV-like interface would work as I've never used it. But it looks purdy and clean.

Man of Honour
I would quite like to see what Apple could do with the user interface. I don't know whether an Apple TV-like interface would work as I've never used it. But it looks purdy and clean.

Have you not seen the Nintendo switch? It would be precisely that interface.

Soldato
I have mixed feelings about the new controller.

Love the share button.

I believe the new form factor will better suit my hands.

Not 100% sold on the the new hybrid dpad. I hate using the disk on the elite pad tried it a few times and swapped it out straight away.

Last edited:
Soldato
Having owned both a PS4 pro and and Xbox one X I'm not convinced of the whole "Sony exclusives are best" thing. Last of us? Sure, but wasn't that a PS3 title? I'm all about the single player multi plats on console and the X is where it's at for me. I love fps with a K&M so if they nail that this time around then I see no reason to bother with a PC anymore (as a pure gaming box), the diminishing returns for 10x the outlay seem pointless. it's more of a hardware hobby thing anyway for most PC enthusiasts.

I've read there's more to adding support for K&M than just the physical act of it working, the game mechanics are different (turning speed etc) so I think that will be trickier.

Either way, it's a day one purchase for me, along with a 48" OLED of course.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom