• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Soldato
I found one interesting caveat when using MSI Afterburner's fan control.
As it appears now with 20.2.2 the min. fan speed is now 26% (for me at least). However, you can set a lower fan speed using the "User Defined Software Auto Fan Control". However, it seems to bug out stuck at a single fan speed setting. Causing me to always have manual control. Which means using the slider to manually change fan speed instead of the custom profile. After noticing that the fans were ramping up based on my fan profile I decided to set the min fan speed under the Auto Fan Control Properties in MSI AB to 26%. Then disable User Defined Software Auto Fan Control, hit apply. Then re-enabled it. Now I have fan speed based on my custom profile.

Caporegime
AMD Radeon Adrenalin 2020 20.3.1 Released

Support For
    • DOOM™ Eternal
      • Achieve up to 5% better performance playing Doom Eternal (Ultra Nightmare settings) at 1920x1080p on the Radeon™ RX 5700XT with Radeon™ Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.3.1, versus Radeon™ Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.2.2. RS-333
    • Half-Life™: Alyx
    • Ghost Recon™ Breakpoint
      • Vulkan® API
Added Vulkan® Support
    • VK_EXT_post_depth_coverage
      • This extension indicates support for shader modules that use the SPV_KHR_post_depth_coverage extension. Fragment shaders using the SPV extension can control whether the SampleMask built-in input variable reflects the coverage after the depth and stencil tests are applied. This extension is only supported on AMD RDNA hardware.
    • VK_KHR_shader_non_semantic_info
      • This extension indicates support for shader modules that use the SPV_KHR_non_semantic_info extension. Shader modules using the SPV extension can include non-semantic instructions that can be safely removed from the module.
    • VK_EXT_texel_buffer_alignment
      • This extension provides a mechanism to query alignment requirements for uniform and storage texel buffers that cannot be well communicated via minTexelBufferOffsetAlignment.
    • VK_EXT_pipeline_creation_cache_control
      • This extension provides flags that can be used by an application to inquire about potential high cost that could be incurred during pipeline creation. The information can be obtained prior to carrying out the create operation, which would allow the application to adjust its behavior accordingly.
Fixed Issues

Frame skipping or choppy audio may be experienced in videos captured using Radeon ReLive.

• Some games may experience stutter while using Instant Replay or third-party applications that stream or perform screen capture.
    • Hotkeys may fail to apply to scenes in ReLive scene editor when the scene has a custom name.
    • Webcam elements may fail to appear on screen when a custom location is set during ReLive recording.
    • AMD A-Series/E-Series APU Processors will reflect older Radeon Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition Settings user interface.
    • Zero RPM toggle may fail to reset or appear when disabling advanced fan tuning options in Performance Tuning.
    • Radeon Software may automatically close when a live stream is started or stopped.
    • Desktop cursor may intermittently remain visible after toggling Radeon Software’s overlay in some games.
    • Red Dead Redemption 2™ may experience a blank screen when launched using the Vulkan® API.
    • Radeon Software may experience an application crash, or a system TDR may occur, when VRAM reaches 8GB or more with HBCC enabled on Radeon RX Vega series graphics products.
    • DOOM™ may experience an intermittent system hang or application crash during gameplay.
    • Space Engineers™ may experience an application or hang during gameplay when Grass Density is turned on.
    • A system hang or black screen may occur when exiting SteamVR™ with multi display system configurations.
    • Monster Hunter World™: Iceborne may have lower than expected performance in some areas of the game on Radeon RX 5700 series graphics products.
    • Video playback may exhibit corruption on Interlaced content in Movies and TV on Ryzen 3000 with Radeon Graphics Processors.
    • PassMark™ may experience an application hang on some Ryzen with Radeon Graphics Processors.
    • On Radeon RX Vega and older discrete GPUs and on APUs, enabling integer display scaling could result in a reduction of frame rate.
    • Integer display scaling may not show up as available in Radeon Software on some GCN-based GPUs.
Known Issues

• Enhanced Sync may cause a black screen to occur when enabled on some games and system configurations. Any users who may be experiencing issues with Enhanced Sync enabled should disable it as a temporary workaround.
    • Performance Metrics Overlay and Radeon WattMan incorrectly report higher than expected idle clock speeds on Radeon RX 5700 series graphics products. Performance and power consumption are not impacted by this incorrect reporting.
    • Radeon Software may open with an inconsistent window size or may not keep its previously set size when opened.
    • Modifying the HDMI Scaling slider may cause FPS to become locked to 30.
    • Some games may exhibit stutter intermittently during gameplay on Radeon RX 5000 series graphics products.
    • Desktop or In-game corruption may occur intermittently when HDR is enabled.
    • Radeon RX Vega series graphics products may experience a system crash or TDR when playing games with Instant Replay enabled. A workaround for users experiencing these issues is to disable Instant Replay.
    • A system crash or hang may be experienced when using Edge browser to play Netflix™ content.

• Some users may still experience black screen or system hang issues during extended periods of gameplay. AMD will continue to monitor and investigate reports of these issues closely.

https://www.amd.com/en/support

Associate
OMFG driver crash already while exiting Borderlands 3. Game froze and was unable to tab out so had to hard reset. Why are AMD unable to get this right? :mad:

Edit: And yes I installed with factory reset before anyone suggests

Associate
OMFG driver crash already while exiting Borderlands 3. Game froze and was unable to tab out so had to hard reset. Why are AMD unable to get this right? :mad:

Edit: And yes I installed with factory reset before anyone suggests

Playing it now using my 5700. Have to lower the settings to low at 1440. lol. If not it will crash. Only issue now is every time I start to play it will crash and a pop up will ask if I want to submit a report. I just hit yes and restart the game. After that it will just let me play with no crashes. Just the initial start each time.

Anyways, lower your settings and see if the crashes go away. I'll observe the VRAM usage cos it could be it.

Associate
Playing it now using my 5700. Have to lower the settings to low at 1440. lol. If not it will crash. Only issue now is every time I start to play it will crash and a pop up will ask if I want to submit a report. I just hit yes and restart the game. After that it will just let me play with no crashes. Just the initial start each time.

Anyways, lower your settings and see if the crashes go away. I'll observe the VRAM usage cos it could be it.
Man that sucks as a workaround. Just played a couple of hours on (almost) Ultra and been OK. I've been having BL3 exit crashes quite regularly on all the 2020 drivers but usually it just pops up the crash report after the game closes which isnt a biggie. Guess I'm going to have to stick with it if I'm going to play Doom Eternal or HL Alyx in the coming weeks.

Associate
I still get black screen with new drivers it's very random can play for 5 hours or few days I play wow and it's just random i have to hard reset then i am fine agian

I have duel monitor wow on one twitch on another using Chrome done fresh install of drivers disable hardware accelerator in chrome

3900x stock
X570 gigabyte elite latest bios
64gb 3200 ram xmp
Gigabyte 5700xt stock

Brand new system been doing it since I built it in January

Can't seem to sort it very annoying

Soldato
I replaced my 390 in December with a 2070S but I moved this to my son's PC.

Division 2 would not work in full screen mode, would always stay in windowed mode and no matter what I did it would load full screen at all. (checked online and checked ini file etc)

I rolled back to earlier drivers (pre 2020 ones) and loaded full screen without any issues!

Spent a good hour looking in to it and trying to get it to work but had no joy and couldn't be bothered with messing around so rolled back to earlier drivers.

Associate
I still get black screen with new drivers it's very random can play for 5 hours or few days I play wow and it's just random i have to hard reset then i am fine agian

I have duel monitor wow on one twitch on another using Chrome done fresh install of drivers disable hardware accelerator in chrome

3900x stock
X570 gigabyte elite latest bios
64gb 3200 ram xmp
Gigabyte 5700xt stock

Brand new system been doing it since I built it in January

Can't seem to sort it very annoying

Very strange, I have pretty much an identical set up.
3900x
16gb 3600mhz ram
Aurous elite mb
Aurous 5700xt
Multiple monitors
Not a single black screen

Associate
I like 2 monitors i am using dp on my mains screen 1440p 60hz monitor and using a hdmi cable on my second monitor 1080p 60hz

I could try 1 screen for a bit see if that helps the monitors work fine on my last build so nothing wrong with them

Thanks for your help

Associate
Its random sometimes they both go black sometimes it's the 1080p monitor

But once it goes black somtimes it will recover for 1 min then black again so once it fails I just hard reset

Soldato
I like 2 monitors i am using dp on my mains screen 1440p 60hz monitor and using a hdmi cable on my second monitor 1080p 60hz

I could try 1 screen for a bit see if that helps the monitors work fine on my last build so nothing wrong with them

Thanks for your help

I used to get the same on my system. It eventually stopped after a few bios updates. That would be my first port of call as the hardware is still relatively new. Your motherboard even though you bought recently might still have a fairly old bios.

Associate
Man that sucks as a workaround. Just played a couple of hours on (almost) Ultra and been OK. I've been having BL3 exit crashes quite regularly on all the 2020 drivers but usually it just pops up the crash report after the game closes which isnt a biggie. Guess I'm going to have to stick with it if I'm going to play Doom Eternal or HL Alyx in the coming weeks.

Odd i don't suffer the exit crashes. My concern right now is i'm almost finished with the game. We can always play it again. There is Apex but BL3 is addicting.

Associate
I installed 20.3.1 yesterday. Played DayZ and BF V without issue. Was browsing this forum this morning (so bare minum of load) and screen went blank and PC froze and had to hard reset. Using Gigabyte 5700XT. This from the event log:

Faulting application name: Radeonsoftware.exe, version: 10.1.2.1788, time stamp: 0x5e713cb8
Faulting module name: Radeonsoftware.exe, version: 10.1.2.1788, time stamp: 0x5e713cb8
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000412917
Faulting process ID: 0x38c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d5ff64c4db6c98
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext\Radeonsoftware.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext\Radeonsoftware.exe
Report ID: 7a9ccf39-7b9c-4b63-8e55-3047b1c76a3a
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

If it happens again I may move back to the previous version as that was solid for me. Just to note I did just upgrade and not do any clear down of previous via DDU etc., so it may be due to not following process.

Associate
should i be enabling either "Enhanced Sync" or "wait for Vertical Refresh" on a 5700 XT and a Freesync monitor?

(Under Graphics/Gaming" NOT display)
This is a useful comparison: https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/radeon-software-enhancedsync. Basically freesync combined with enhanced sync is superior on paper. I don't think it's card dependent unless there are known issues with the 5700xt that other owners are aware of. I use this combo on my Vega 56 with the frames capped at 5 fps below the maximum monitor refresh rate. This prevents overshoot above the freesync range and thus means enhanced sync only comes into play if fps drops below the bottom of the range. So to put some numbers on it, my monitor is 75 hz with 48-75 fps freesysnc range, so games are capped at 70 fps with vsync off in both driver and games and enhanced sync on in the driver. I don't get any tearing and latency is meant to be reduced

Soldato
matt on amd forums said vsync and freesync works great together as is sometimes prefered way to use freesync with vsync on. As vsync limits the fps to freesync max range but freesync removes the latency caused by vsync alone thats why he says it is a good pairing of the two technologies. Dunno about enhanced sync tho as i never use it cos heard a lot of problems with it and most ppl say keep it off.

Back
Top Bottom