Vim or Emacs?

Soldato
This thread is a joke thread with a serious purpose. I need a full-time IDE on Linux, and I think these two packages might be the ones to use. The other option is Visual Studio Code.

So I want to see the pros and cons of your favourite editor and just for fun the pros and cons of your least favourite editor.

New suggestions are welcome, of course :).

Associate
VS Code when doing terraform, ansible, jinja, yaml work etc as I have multiple tabs and repos on the go at any one time, then its VIM when I am looking about systems or need to edit something on the fly before committing it to code etc.

Soldato
VSCodium

I only use vim to make ad-hoc changes on the cli, don't think I would want to use it as a full time IDE.

Last edited:
Soldato
On unix, vi ... mostly out of habit as that's what I used at university 30 odd years ago.

Most work stuff I'm on windows as a lot of the corporate tools used are internet explorer only and IT only provide desktop support for windows. Nobody wants to attempt to support the stupid numbers of unix desktop platforms around. Some colleagues use unix desktops, but they're on stackoverflow and google for help when it doesn't work.

For an IDE it depends what I'm coding. Generally prefer eclipse for java and jupyter notebooks or pycharm for python - depending on whether I'm doing data science stuff or writing an application.

the only right answer to your question is that you should try a few out and pick what works for you. Its a massively personal choice and anyone telling you that you're wrong is either an idiot or trolling you.

Soldato
Vim or Emacs?

Seriously!
Are you trying to start a holy war?
:p

He doesn't need to try... He already succeeded. :mad: ;)

GTFO. Vim > * but if you want an 'easier' editor (Vim's pretty darn easy really, and way more powerful) then ee is better than nano imo, though it's more BSD derived and may not be available on your distro of choice.

Associate
Like peterwalkley, it depends what kind of work.

1. VI/VIM : If I need to update several lines on a server and I'm lazy to download that file.
2. Nano : Small update on a tiny file
3. Visual Studio Code: For the lightweight script
4. PyCharm/Eclipse : Bigger project in python or java.

Also I dunno much shortcut with VIM... but that game might be helpful : https://vim-adventures.com/ :cool:

Back
Top Bottom