BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Caporegime
Not sure why they are quoting you more than the online price then to the extent that it's even more than the out-of-contract rate for those services, maybe phone back and see if you get someone more useful? Explain to them that you're out of contract so won't be paying more than the online price.

Soldato
Not sure why they are quoting you more than the online price then to the extent that it's even more than the out-of-contract rate for those services, maybe phone back and see if you get someone more useful? Explain to them that you're out of contract so won't be paying more than the online price.

Yeah just phoned back and got told the services aren't actually available in the area at the minute even though they are offering them online. Most of the people I spoke to earlier were trying to say it was more as it had to come with their Halo 2 stuff

Associate
Yeah just phoned back and got told the services aren't actually available in the area at the minute even though they are offering them online. Most of the people I spoke to earlier were trying to say it was more as it had to come with their Halo 2 stuff

Halo 2 - this will be what's upping the price and you shouldn't be forced to have that add-on. Reading through this article - https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.p...k-gigabit-and-full-fibre-broadband-plans.html they say "We should add that the paid HALO 1 or 2 add-ons are not a requirement, which is a positive."

When I called up I said that I wanted everything to stay as the same just the increased speed and to see if they can better the price.

Might be worth trying the dedicated BT FTTP Sales number - 0800 587 4787

Soldato
Has anyone gone with Vodafone FTTC and regretted it? My TalkTalk contract is almost finished and I have to say that they've been perfect, but Vodafone are about £7/month cheaper for the same service.

Can you use your own router with Vodafone?

Caporegime
I think a high percentage of people who get Vodafone FTTC regret it. The router situation is sorted now (the old one used to have a wobbly and tank your DLM profile for no apparent reason, the new one used to crash whenever an Apple device got near it), but as far as I know the severely congested backhaul is still a major problem. Anecdotally I know two people on Vodafone and they cannot wait to move elsewhere due to the congestion issues.

Soldato
Has anyone gone with Vodafone FTTC and regretted it? My TalkTalk contract is almost finished and I have to say that they've been perfect, but Vodafone are about £7/month cheaper for the same service.

Can you use your own router with Vodafone?

I'm in the process of moving from Vodafone to BT to get FTTP. I've had it for almost 3 years with no issues always got the full 80/20 in peak times. I do use my own router which I had no issues getting the username/password for took a 2 minute web chat.

EDIT

9172576872.png

Last edited:
Associate
It's telling me that the checker is down. I've had the email from the Trials team to confirm my enrolment into the "Full Fibre" trial as well as my line is capable of faster speeds. Trial has gone quiet due to Covit-19. Guess I am stuck on 330/50 for the foreseeable, first world problems!

Associate
Well I have been switched over to the Full Fibre 900 Product, new Smart Hub 2 arrived today.

So far the max speed I've managed over Ethernet is:

Hopefully that will increase later in the evening or I might switch the network cables about.

Soldato
They don't make it easy to upgrade do they? I'm out of contract and on the 330/50 package at the minute (Halo 1 I believe) paying £59.99. When I go via My BT and look at existing offers, all they offer is an upgrade to Halo 2 for more per month, no speed changes.

Their chat is useless and if I call them, they're prioritising calls for the vulnerable and for emergencies. I know, the ultimate first world problem!

Soldato
No more in-home work from Openreach until June, so if you don't have your FTTP then it's not happening.

Openreach pulled a rope through to the manhole for my fibre today he came to the door to say the dig team will likely still run ducting to my house in the next couple of weeks but installs are now cancelled. He recons BT will move me to BT FTTC from Vodafone on the current cut over date.

Might be some hope from ispreview

UPDATE 4:58pm

Some people with FTTP installs due soon, such as those in the process of a house move, had asked what might happen to them. Openreach informs us that they will be trying to complete all orders where an appointment has already been booked.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom