BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Caporegime
Shove the ethernet into your PC and dial a PPPoE session, then swap it back to the BT router. For some reason the profiles can get stuck.

Soldato
Shove the ethernet into your PC and dial a PPPoE session, then swap it back to the BT router. For some reason the profiles can get stuck.
Could you guide me on what I need to do exactly?

Edit: never mind, I misunderstood what you meant. I've sorted it now, thanks, it's running at the higher upload speed now.

Edit 2: it's still stuck on 51Mb when I'm using the BT hub as the router. But 120Mb when I'm directly connected to the ONT.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Do you have a different router? Use something else for a day or two and then swap back to the BT one. This seems to be a recurring issue that will clear by itself but also nobody on the tech support line seems to know how to escalate properly.

Associate
well my 900mb service went live this morning speedtest via LAN shows 925mb down and 115mb up. Wifi speeds range between 700-800mbs down and 111mb up. Im using Asus ZEN Wifi XT8, but my devices on wifi are still AC not AX models. I downloaded a fresh Call of Duty this morning via lan and its stayed at 101mb/s per second for the entire download.

Soldato
Spent an hour on hold, finally spoke to someone who couldn't access the faster speeds on my account so transferred me through to offline sales. Spent another hour waiting to speak to them. They did a "tech check" and said the fastest I could get was what I was already on, the 300Mb package. And yet when I put my postcode into the BT website, it states I can get up to Full Fibre 900. I wish some other ISPs would hurry up and rollout FTTP, sick of BTs customer service. I very rarely have to contact them, but when I do, its always an uphill struggle.

Associate
Spent an hour on hold, finally spoke to someone who couldn't access the faster speeds on my account so transferred me through to offline sales. Spent another hour waiting to speak to them. They did a "tech check" and said the fastest I could get was what I was already on, the 300Mb package. And yet when I put my postcode into the BT website, it states I can get up to Full Fibre 900. I wish some other ISPs would hurry up and rollout FTTP, sick of BTs customer service. I very rarely have to contact them, but when I do, its always an uphill struggle.

This pretty much sums up my experience of trying to upgrade. The waiting for hours to just get fobbed off is frustrating.

Soldato
I’m the last person who would normally stick up for BT, but they are obviously short staffed and it’s not unreasonable that people dealing with queues of customers who are having to wait hours to speak to them haven’t had time to read briefings. If you think upgrading profiles is a challenge, try getting any support (or even direct contact) from the g.fast team. I had two deadlock letters from different members of the CEO’s office before I got anyone to do what I explained needed to be done on day one several months and failed installs/faults earlier.

Soldato
Wondering if my ultrafast install will go ahead next wednesday, I have my doubts, no update from BT yet and order is still tracking as on schedule but have seen an article saying home installs are suspended.

Soldato
I’m the last person who would normally stick up for BT, but they are obviously short staffed and it’s not unreasonable that people dealing with queues of customers who are having to wait hours to speak to them haven’t had time to read briefings. If you think upgrading profiles is a challenge, try getting any support (or even direct contact) from the g.fast team. I had two deadlock letters from different members of the CEO’s office before I got anyone to do what I explained needed to be done on day one several months and failed installs/faults earlier.
Waiting hours is understandable given the current situation, however waiting hours and not getting anywhere is extremely frustrating.

Soldato
Wondering if my ultrafast install will go ahead next wednesday, I have my doubts, no update from BT yet and order is still tracking as on schedule but have seen an article saying home installs are suspended.
I've read existing appointments will go ahead, but no new ones will be booked.

Soldato
Waiting hours is understandable given the current situation, however waiting hours and not getting anywhere is extremely frustrating.

Totally agree, under normal circumstances I would suggest escalating calls, logging complaints and getting it resolved. Given what’s going on in the wider world and knowing people who work for large national ISP’s and the atomic crap storm they are dealing with daily, I would be slightly more inclined to cut them some slack at this stage, you still have a fast working connection, it could be a lot worse.

Don
No more in-home work from Openreach until June, so if you don't have your FTTP then it's not happening.

Just heard that from 2 openreach engineers who were on-site at work today. Any resource available that would be used for in-home work will be diverted to infrastructure work e.g. street level poles / ducting etc, although priority is obviously for any business critical installs
(e.g. why we had 2 engineers installing a new fibre circuit at our food distribution business today, that I wasn't expecting for a while)

Caporegime
It's GPON not a point-to-point link, and Openreach have leased lines to sell. I doubt you'll see a consumer symmetric service from Openreach until Virgin Media are able to offer one.

Soldato
can someone explain why upload speed is always slower than download? 920/110, why not higher? seems very strange

why not 920/920?

It isn't, some are symmetrical (alt net's usually), the rest are asymmetric because connection speed is marketed on download speed as that's what residential customers use most, you can have a leased line with symmetrical speeds, but you'll pay for it as a commercial service, also upstream bandwidth has a cost impact and generally symmetrical connections tend to be associated with running commercial services, which is generally not what residential ISP's encourage.

Soldato
As aid above, just because it’s fttp doesn’t mean it has to be higher speeds.

My folks are on the lowest FTTP package they could get as that’s all their new build can get, they are on a 50 meg down package.

I used to have an fttp speed of 40mbit/s down 8mbit/s up. I know it was fttp as I watched them pull the cable in. Like you say fttp doesn’t automatically mean high speeds.

Back
Top Bottom