New inclusive Marvel superheroes - Safespace & *********

Permabanned
I used to be an avid comic book fan and have tried to become a bit more tolerant in my views of late... But this seems like a parody until you realise it's not and these are genuine characters that are being introduced in to the marvel universe. Sorry for the daily mail link feel free to Google news search for an alternative article

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...vels-two-new-superheroes-woke-generation.html

Soldato
I've no problem with having non binary Superheroes but the names ********* and Safespace make it sound like Marvel is taking the p***.

Is this supposed to be a parody as I can set the lefties being offended by the names as much as the right wingers will be by their existence. Has Marvel set out with the aim of upsetting everyone equally!

Maybe it's an early April fools joke that leaked out early? Personally I can't wait to go and see the movie.......

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/introducing-the-new-new-warriors

"They’re hyper aware of modern culture and optics, and they see their Super Heroics as “a post-ironic meditation on using violence to combat bullying.” They're probably streaming this.

"********* and Safespace are the twins," the writer says, "and their names are very similar to Screentime; it's this idea that these are terms that get thrown around on the internet that they don't see as derogatory. [They] take those words and kind of wear them as badges of honor.

"Safespace is a big, burly, sort of stereotypical jock. He can create forcefields, but he can only trigger them if he's protecting somebody else. ********* is non-binary and goes by they/them, and has the power to generate individual crystalized *********-shaped shurikens. The connotations of the word '*********' in our culture right now are something fragile, and this is a character who is turning it into something sharp.

"********* is the person who has the more offensive power, and Safespace is the person who has the more defensive power. The idea is that they would mirror each other and complement each other."

Last edited:
Caporegime
Edit: one of their names is a banned word on this forum due to it presumably being seen as an offensive and insulting?

Its one of the many curious overclockerisms! You can call someone a gammon; an insulting term based upon their physical appearance (racism by definition) yet snow and delicious Cadburys chocolate bars combined is deemed too offensive to be seen.

Soldato
Its one of the many curious overclockerisms! You can call someone a gammon; an insulting term based upon their physical appearance (racism by definition) yet snow and delicious Cadburys chocolate bars combined is deemed too offensive to be seen.

Presumably they're going to defeat their arch nemesis, the evil Gammon, whilst jointly chanting their catchphrase "OK, BOOMER!" after unleashing their devastating ultimate ability "Virtue Signalling".

I realise I'm taking the **** but to be fair Marvel are setting themselves up for it :D

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2020/03/...warriors-black-non-binary-safespace-backlash/

Not unsurprisingly Marvel's attempt to appear 'woke' seems to have backfired spectacularly and succeeded in upsetting everyone! The Twitter comments are fantastic. Looking forward to the Meme content these characters are going to provide over the coming months!

Last edited:
Caporegime
:D :D :D :D

I used to make a few threads about this stuff, it's way too ubiquitous to bother about now though but those two characters are just brilliant. I do wonder if they're having a bit of a laugh over at Marvel though tbh... either that or this stuff has jumped the shark. I mean it is pretty standard to mock "woke" stuff these days - even the BBC got into it a couple of years back:

Woke support group sketch:

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=10155552204996778

and another:

etc...

Soldato
In an alternate reality of our multiverse, safespace actually exists, he's depressed and wants to die because he's wondering why the **** did he lose the superhero lottery

Man of Honour
What does 'woke' mean in this context? I'm hearing that word a fair bit lately and my google-fu isn't working. Probably too generic a word.

It's particularly fervent support of whatever irrational prejudices are fashionable in the time and place and whatever excuses are used to "rationalise" them. Which, as always, boils down to blaming the victims - "they're all the same and they deserve it because reasons". New word, same very old ideas.

Caporegime
I kinda love this, it's going to make people so pointlessly angry.

All the while Disney continues to monopolise with little to no friction, so it's going to happen to everything else, even more chances to giggle uncontrollably in the future as people's cultural icons extinguish.

Last edited:
Caporegime
This latest car crash from Marvell is so bad that even SJWs are complaining about it.

Natural progression of factionalising a movement so much, infighting is inevitable, though i imagine most of the complaint is about the lack of sincerity in pushing revenue streams, it's basically the same issue that plagues the rest of the increasingly corporatised creative industry.

Profit above all.

Caporegime
Natural progression of factionalising a movement so much, infighting is inevitable

Subcultures with aggressive purity tests inevitably tend towards factionalism.

though i imagine most of the complaint is about the lack of sincerity in pushing revenue streams

SJWs are actually complaining that the characters aren't accurate enough. They're claiming that the appropriate minorities weren't consulted. It's hilarious.

Back
Top Bottom