Virgin Media Hub / New home network

Associate
Hey. Looking for a little bit of advice for a novice.

I have a Virgin Media Hub 3.0 running in modem mode and connected directly to my Orbi RBR50 router.

Does anyone know if this connection has to be direct, or can I connect the two via a network switch?

Reason I ask is: I have a house where every wall is made of brick, and then plaster board on top. The internet connectivity in the house isn't great. Currently, my router and modem sit in a room off to the side, rather than middle of the house. I would like to put in a network switch so that I can run cable under the ground floor to each room that has devices with ethernet ports (eg. Sonos and TVs). If I can connect the router and modem via a switch, then I can better place the router for better wifi around the house.
If the router and modem have to be connected directly, it means running cable from modem to router, then router back to switch, then from switch to each room.

To check physically I need to buy a switch (delays in delivery at the moment) and then disconnect the wifi when people are at home.

Thanks in advance

Soldato
The router will need to be directly connected to Virgin's hub. The cable you use for that can be as long as you like (up to approx. 100m).

You can use a switch to add additional Ethernet ports to the network but it'll need to be connected to the LAN side of your router.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply. I thought that may be the case. Not the end of the world, just one more cable to run.

Back
Top Bottom