Oculus Quest (Santa Cruz)

Associate
Well I have pre ordered a Quest 64Gb for collection next Friday on a spur of the moment thing... now need to sell my Rift CV1, but they seem to be getting ok prices on eBay.

What accessories do people recommend?
  • Headstrap cushions?
  • Potential link cables? (Is neilF’s solution the best one to go for?)
  • Foam replacements?
  • and is lens lab eu the best option or prescription lenses?

Soldato
Headstrap Cushion (VR Cover Thick version)
Use Virtual Destop (Sidequest version) do not bother with Link.
Have a soft gel cover I just bought off Amazon for the facepart.
I just use my glasses with the glasses insert.

Also recommend 2 x 10000mah Powerbanks with Power Delivery. I just use a USB C to USB C cable long enough for it to go in my back pocket. eg Ugreen 10000mah Power Bank and a good case for it all.

Soldato
yes, but the oculus desktop software needs to be on v15 to do so.... enrol in the PTC (desktop) and it should download v15 for you.

with v15 on both quest and desktop, go to devices and click on quest, then click on device setup, on the second page of setup will be an option to "Test Cable"

For reference I get 2.3Gbps using a 3m amazon basics 3.1 cable on the front port of my PC which connects to the Aorus Master x570 internal port.

Last edited:
Soldato
yes, but the oculus desktop software needs to be on v15 to do so.... enrol in the PTC (desktop) and it should download v15 for you.

with v15 on both quest and desktop, go to devices and click on quest, then click on device setup, on the second page of setup will be an option to "Test Cable"

For reference I get 2.3Gbps using a 3m amazon basics 3.1 cable on the front port of my PC which connects to the Aorus Master x570 internal port.
Thanks!

I get 1.8Gbps thru my 3m JOTO via my front USB ports (to MB).
I get 1.8Gbps thru my 3m JOTO via my rear USB ports (to MB).
I get 1.5Gbps thru my 3m JOTO via my front rear 5 port USB3 PCI expansion card.

Is your "AmazonBasics Double Braided Nylon USB Type-C to Type-A 3.1 Gen 1 Cable | 3 m"?

ps: Using a 90 degree adapter to take cable down the side of the Quest nicely, makes no difference to my speeds...

Soldato
The camera passthrough by double tapping the headset works a treat. However I dont like the universal menu I prefer the old one. Things like seeing the battery percentage straight away without having to go tap on it and the layout of the new one are a bit hideous to me. Also on mine the menu gets in the way of the back screen and I cant seem to lower it. Much prefer just clicking on Library and seeing your installed apps. This will probably get turned off hope they dont make it permanent.

Soldato
Thanks!

I get 1.8Gbps thru my 3m JOTO via my front USB ports (to MB).
I get 1.8Gbps thru my 3m JOTO via my rear USB ports (to MB).
I get 1.5Gbps thru my 3m JOTO via my front rear 5 port USB3 PCI expansion card.

Is your "AmazonBasics Double Braided Nylon USB Type-C to Type-A 3.1 Gen 1 Cable | 3 m"?

ps: Using a 90 degree adapter to take cable down the side of the Quest nicely, makes no difference to my speeds...

yup that's the one

Associate
I managed to get one from Argos on Sunday, I prepaid online and collected during our Sainsburys shop.

I had messed about a little with Gear VR a couple of years ago and wasn't impressed, despite what I read I was wondering if this would be much different. Needless to say I tried the Beat Saber demo, it was great and the gf likes this one a lot, however then I tried the Super Hot demo and understood the difference between this and the mobile phone VR immediately. I am casting to FireTV so she can watch while we play Beat Saber and vice versa and really enjoying this, have a link cable (3rd party Anker) coming tomorrow and looking forward to getting into Alyx once I have run through Super Hot.

Soldato
I'll order one out of interest, to see if it's faster than my JOTO...

Still wondering what difference between 1.6Gbps and even 5Gbps makes to the experience?!

Given link maxes at 150Mbps currently due to the decoder limitations on quest, very little I would assume. Carmack did mention some changes that might be able to make more use of the available bandwidth of usb 3.1 but haven't heard anything further in months...

Soldato
I managed to get one from Argos on Sunday, I prepaid online and collected during our Sainsburys shop.

I had messed about a little with Gear VR a couple of years ago and wasn't impressed, despite what I read I was wondering if this would be much different. Needless to say I tried the Beat Saber demo, it was great and the gf likes this one a lot, however then I tried the Super Hot demo and understood the difference between this and the mobile phone VR immediately. I am casting to FireTV so she can watch while we play Beat Saber and vice versa and really enjoying this, have a link cable (3rd party Anker) coming tomorrow and looking forward to getting into Alyx once I have run through Super Hot.
Run a "Cable Test" on that cable when you get it. Go into Device and on second page you can "Cable Test". My JOTO 3m cable is giving me 1.8Gbps. Supposedly someone with a 3m AmazonBasics one is getting 2.3Gbps. Doubt it makes any difference though :)

Associate
Run a "Cable Test" on that cable when you get it. Go into Device and on second page you can "Cable Test". My JOTO 3m cable is giving me 1.8Gbps. Supposedly someone with a 3m AmazonBasics one is getting 2.3Gbps. Doubt it makes any difference though :)

I can’t run a cable test yet as they pulled v15 update due to bugs, probably rereleased next week think they have put out a v15 hotfix to those who have it installed.

Soldato
The cable test doesnt work for me just sits there spinning circle left it for good 10 minutes.
V15 firmware was pulled but its being pushed out now with a small update so 15.1 or whatever. V15 firmware users will get a small update.
V15 Oculus Software beta is still rolled out and you can get it now with PTC enabled.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom