Half-Life: Alyx

Associate
I'm really enjoying it so far. It's only taken me 6 hrs to reach Chapter 3, but whatever.

7nxJIzo.png

This chapter is kicking my ass. I've had a Poison Headcrab chomping on my face too many times today. Hd0hLwv.png

Soldato
I've just hit a point in chapter 6 that I'm a little stuck on... I can see what I need to do, but not how to actually do it yet. Don't want have to look up the solution :mad:

Soldato
In one room in chapter 5 there are so many of those poison crabs. And there is also a couple of the the guys with the tentacles that hang down. To my delight the tentacles thingies were catching the crabs as they walked around. I must have stood around watching about 10 of them getting eaten. :D:D

I managed to get through the section without firing a shot or throwing a nade by dodging the crabs as they jumped to be caught by the tentacles behind me. Stupid crabs :p

And speaking of stupid..

You know the monster holding the ball type things that look like they are some kind of trap? And when you move towards them they shy away and close their tentacles around the ball? Well, It wasn't until chapter 5 that I realised that you could grab the ball and use it as a grenade.

DOH!!

Soldato
IYou know the monster holding the ball type things that look like they are some kind of trap? And when you move towards them they shy away and close their tentacles around the ball? Well, It wasn't until chapter 5 that I realised that you could grab the ball and use it as a grenade.

DOH!!

I saw that in one of the trailers, so I knew already... otherwise I probably would have been the same!

Soldato
Somebody said on a post somewhere that you could put grenades and health injectors into a container and put the container into your wrist slots.

Has anyone tried to do this? I haven't been able to find a small enough box/container since reading this so don't know if it works or not.

Haven't caught one with my hand but you can catch them in a box.

It's it possible? I keep trying but I keep failing!!

Soldato
I caught a headcrab in a box turned it upside down and watched this box move about the floor bumping into things. I then blasted it with my shotgun. Oh what fun. Just need to video it now.

The zombies with headcrab. Get a box. Shoot the zombie not the headcrab. The zombie dies. The headcrab falls off alive. Put the box on the crab quick.

Associate
Hi guys,
So I've got a couple weeks of mandatory leave from next week and the opportunity to pinch an original Vive from work.
I am a hl fan and have been holding off watching the walkthroughs on youtube but realistically the prospects of buying a vr headset and machine upgrades anytime soon are slim.
I'm running an i7 2600(non k), 16gb, rx480 so not terrible but hardly bleeding edge.
Baring in mind that I will only have ownership of the vive for a couple of weeks, and my system spec, would you think its worth a purchase?

Many ta's.

Soldato
Hi guys,
So I've got a couple weeks of mandatory leave from next week and the opportunity to pinch an original Vive from work.
I am a hl fan and have been holding off watching the walkthroughs on youtube but realistically the prospects of buying a vr headset and machine upgrades anytime soon are slim.
I'm running an i7 2600(non k), 16gb, rx480 so not terrible but hardly bleeding edge.
Baring in mind that I will only have ownership of the vive for a couple of weeks, and my system spec, would you think its worth a purchase?

Many ta's.

It might be possible, but your below minimum specification for both gpu speed (only slightly though) and below minimum requirements for video memory (if its 4GB card, 8GB is fine), but it may still run ok if you crank down the graphics options to minimum and maybe reduce the render resolution slightly. Certainly grab it and try it out, if your not happy with its performance or it looks vaseline has been smeared all over the screen, you can refund it if you've played less than 2 hours.

Soldato
Finished this last night. Took about 12 hours to complete, and I didn't rush through.

The ending was great!

I don't think it's necessarily a revolutionary VR game in pioneering new techniques and interactions. It has however taken what a lot of other games have done before and polished or enhanced them. Lots of VR games use a 'grabbity gloves' style mechanic - it's sensible because you don't necessarily have room scale, and crouching to pick things up can be tiring (or even not possible for some people), but they way Valve have done it here feels so good, with that flick of the wrist and the following catch.

The hacking puzzles were probably the best interactions in the game, as they really required 3D stereo and hand presence to play them, plus the sense of presence when manipulating them was very real. It was easy to forget you're in VR while solving them.

Graphics and sound are some of the best I've seen in VR. I think Lone Echo comes close in graphics, polish, and presence, but of course that's a much more limited and shorter game.

The main criticisms I have are no melee, as you really want to whack those headcrabs, but can't. (Apparently they tried a crowbar, but players kept on getting it caught on things as they walked around), and the small, linear levels with little side exploring. (I know, HL1 & 2 were linear, but even they had large levels with side areas to explore).

If this wasn't a HL game it would still be a darn fine VR game, but the added HL and the lore and references take it up several notches.

The killer app for a system isn't necessarily the most revolutionary (Boneworks), or the most accessible (Beat Saber), but its the one which can generate the most hype and publicity, and cut through to the wider gaming public. I think this is the one for VR.

Don
In one room in chapter 5 there are so many of those poison crabs. And there is also a couple of the the guys with the tentacles that hang down. To my delight the tentacles thingies were catching the crabs as they walked around. I must have stood around watching about 10 of them getting eaten. :D:D

I managed to get through the section without firing a shot or throwing a nade by dodging the crabs as they jumped to be caught by the tentacles behind me. Stupid crabs :p

And speaking of stupid..

You know the monster holding the ball type things that look like they are some kind of trap? And when you move towards them they shy away and close their tentacles around the ball? Well, It wasn't until chapter 5 that I realised that you could grab the ball and use it as a grenade.

DOH!!

I can't work out how to pick those balls up. They shy away from the grav gloves and my hands...

Associate
It might be possible, but your below minimum specification for both gpu speed (only slightly though) and below minimum requirements for video memory (if its 4GB card, 8GB is fine), but it may still run ok if you crank down the graphics options to minimum and maybe reduce the render resolution slightly. Certainly grab it and try it out, if your not happy with its performance or it looks vaseline has been smeared all over the screen, you can refund it if you've played less than 2 hours.

Thanks Mossy. I will prob give it a whirl then. It's the 8gb version I have. Nice to have the safety net of a refund too.

Back
Top Bottom