• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3950x Owners thread

Associate
I wish i could get my head around Linux. Plus i don't think my favourite game would run on it, or run well. Football Manager 2020.

Football Manager is on Stadia and that will run through Chromium on Linux.

Great use of 32 threads, running a browser so the game runs on someone else's computer.

Soldato
Find it hard to believe that will beat my current experience with the game on Windows 10 playing locally.

What usually prevents windows games from being run through wine or similar is specific DRM solutions or anti cheat like battleeye or easy anti cheat. The later is actually really silly cause from what I gathered there is a fork of it that works on linux but is never used. I wish it were though cause i'm playing Division 2 right now and would really like to get rid of Windows but can't due to easy anti cheat

Caporegime
What usually prevents windows games from being run through wine or similar is specific DRM solutions or anti cheat like battleeye or easy anti cheat. The later is actually really silly cause from what I gathered there is a fork of it that works on linux but is never used. I wish it were though cause i'm playing Division 2 right now and would really like to get rid of Windows but can't due to easy anti cheat
That's a shame. If it was a bit more user friendly and i knew the games i want to play would run without issue with little or no performance loss, i would definitely switch.

Associate
Decided to try 'Per CCD' overclocking yesterday on my 3950x since at 1.2V I was maxing out at 4.25GHz all cores. I was able to run at higher frequencies but due to voltage the temps were getting higher than I liked.
1.2V seemed to be the sweet spot for me considering I run a lot of prolonged AVX tasks.
Anyways at the same voltage of 1.2V I was able to get CCD1 running stable at 4.325GHz whilst CCD2 was obviously the one initially holding it back.
This works out great since most AVX tasks tend to hammer CCD1 more so being able to clock that higher was a nice 'free' performance bump.

Soldato
OP
Decided to try 'Per CCD' overclocking yesterday on my 3950x since at 1.2V I was maxing out at 4.25GHz all cores. I was able to run at higher frequencies but due to voltage the temps were getting higher than I liked.
1.2V seemed to be the sweet spot for me considering I run a lot of prolonged AVX tasks.
Anyways at the same voltage of 1.2V I was able to get CCD1 running stable at 4.325GHz whilst CCD2 was obviously the one initially holding it back.
This works out great since most AVX tasks tend to hammer CCD1 more so being able to clock that higher was a nice 'free' performance bump.
Air cooled or water?
I get maxes of 78.c if i ccx oc to 4.4 all cores and ccx1 4.5ghz at 1.3625

Associate
Air cooled or water?
I get maxes of 78.c if i ccx oc to 4.4 all cores and ccx1 4.5ghz at 1.3625

I'm using the Asrock Aqua motherboard...
I'm not experienced with AMD overclocking, so either the bios on the motherboard is completely out of whack or I'm missing something? Is the 78c under benchmarks or gaming? I'm doing a lot of H264 and H265 video encoding which use AVX.
I've already removed the waterblock and reapplied it with no changes in temps. Under load CCD1 seems about 6-7c hotter than CCD2.
I remember when I first started using the board CPU temps were a bit better but they spiked up when I started clocking my 4x8GB RAM kit at 3600Mhz.
Although I am in Australia and ambient temps are generally quite high but even with the air conditioning running it's still not 'Cold'. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'm using the Asrock Aqua motherboard...
I'm not experienced with AMD overclocking, so either the bios on the motherboard is completely out of whack or I'm missing something? Is the 78c under benchmarks or gaming? I'm doing a lot of H264 and H265 video encoding which use AVX.
I've already removed the waterblock and reapplied it with no changes in temps. Under load CCD1 seems about 6-7c hotter than CCD2.
I remember when I first started using the board CPU temps were a bit better but they spiked up when I started clocking my 4x8GB RAM kit at 3600Mhz.
Although I am in Australia and ambient temps are generally quite high but even with the air conditioning running it's still not 'Cold'. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
That's 78.c under stress on cinebench. But don't run that speed anymore, I am on all core 4.4 at 1.35v and games hit 60 stress is 73ish, I have a 2080ti in the loop with a 240 and 360 rad

Do you turn precision boost off? Do you set the v core manually?

Associate
Do you mind tell me what freq. are you running at the moment for 1.2 Vcore? Thanks!

Associate
Do you mind tell me what freq. are you running at the moment for 1.2 Vcore? Thanks!

I have CCD1 running at 4.325Ghz, and CCD2 running at 4.25Ghz.
I don't think this is Prime95 stable, but it's definitely 'hammer it with 100% AVX workloads for 24 hours' stable.

Associate
I have CCD1 running at 4.325Ghz, and CCD2 running at 4.25Ghz.
I don't think this is Prime95 stable, but it's definitely 'hammer it with 100% AVX workloads for 24 hours' stable.
Originally I could get 4.25 GHz on 1.2 Vcore but suddenly it become unstable, have to tune it down to 4.225 GHz. Would changing from two stick of ram to single makes the CPU running extra spikes and make the CPU couldn't run at higher freq.?

Associate
After all the reading online and looking at bench marks and peoples struggles to overclock the 3950x I am glad I waited before jumping on the amd band wagon once more. its no doubt AMD's best CPU to date, unless we talk thread ripper of course but the 3950x is no reason for me to update from a 9900k at 5.1ghz stable 24/7
I really wanted to switch back to AMD but the advantages and overclock headroom are small and in gaming terms no advantage at all. In multithreaded applications the 3950X scores very well, but iam not encoding 24/7 or running benchmarks to that affect, I surf, watch a few movies, bit of photoshop when needed and game.
it seems very very few of the AMD 3950x chips clock very well at all, AMD have set them close to there limit to begin with. Intels X299 boards are showing there age so I don't see that as an upgrade path either and will no doubt be replaced soon offering more onboard advantages motherboard wise like the new AMD boards with 4gen PCie configs.

I will have to wait until the next round of CPU's to get real term performance increase's worth the investment in upgrading M/board CPU and now doubt ram and CPU water block along with it.

Just my personal view, nothing against AMD or there user's. for me the long awaited AMD revolution just wasn't there.

Associate
After all the reading online and looking at bench marks and peoples struggles to overclock the 3950x I am glad I waited before jumping on the amd band wagon once more. its no doubt AMD's best CPU to date, unless we talk thread ripper of course but the 3950x is no reason for me to update from a 9900k at 5.1ghz stable 24/7
I really wanted to switch back to AMD but the advantages and overclock headroom are small and in gaming terms no advantage at all. In multithreaded applications the 3950X scores very well, but iam not encoding 24/7 or running benchmarks to that affect, I surf, watch a few movies, bit of photoshop when needed and game.
it seems very very few of the AMD 3950x chips clock very well at all, AMD have set them close to there limit to begin with. Intels X299 boards are showing there age so I don't see that as an upgrade path either and will no doubt be replaced soon offering more onboard advantages motherboard wise like the new AMD boards with 4gen PCie configs.

I will have to wait until the next round of CPU's to get real term performance increase's worth the investment in upgrading M/board CPU and now doubt ram and CPU water block along with it.

Just my personal view, nothing against AMD or there user's. for me the long awaited AMD revolution just wasn't there.

After reading your post, why didn't you buy the 9700k instead of then 9900k

Soldato

There is no reason for a 9900k owner to move. If you still had an older chip like a 7700k or something then I'd jump in the 3950x - that's what I did I had a choice between the 9900k and 3950x and went 3950x

Owners of the 9900k obviously aren't spending their whole day working, they are clearly mostly gamers and there isn't anything on the market right now to give you additional performance and likely won't be for a bit yet.

Let me explain: We've reaches a bit of a saturation point with cores and clocks - and now whether it's intel or AMD, adding more cores or having small clock speed bumps will do almost nothing for gaming. For that reason the upcoming 10 core Intel 10900k is a joke and a 9900k owner should not even look at it.

because of this saturation, until game developers learn how to make use of 16 cores - the only way to get tangible gaming performance boost now is to make substantial architecture changes. I'm talking reconfiguring your cache and controllers so you have more cache to access and lower latency to do so an I'm also talking about IPC increases.

Since you also want pcie4 there are only two possible products coming in the future for you to get that and more gaming performance - Zen 3 which has 15% extra IPC or Rocket Lake-S which has pcie4 and should have more IPC because it's a new backported architecture on 14nm.

So given your options you should just stop looking at CPU upgrades until 2021

Associate
There is no reason for a 9900k owner to move. If you still had an older chip like a 7700k or something then I'd jump in the 3950x - that's what I did I had a choice between the 9900k and 3950x and went 3950x

Owners of the 9900k obviously aren't spending their whole day working, they are clearly mostly gamers and there isn't anything on the market right now to give you additional performance and likely won't be for a bit yet.

Let me explain: We've reaches a bit of a saturation point with cores and clocks - and now whether it's intel or AMD, adding more cores or having small clock speed bumps will do almost nothing for gaming. For that reason the upcoming 10 core Intel 10900k is a joke and a 9900k owner should not even look at it.

because of this saturation, until game developers learn how to make use of 16 cores - the only way to get tangible gaming performance boost now is to make substantial architecture changes. I'm talking reconfiguring your cache and controllers so you have more cache to access and lower latency to do so an I'm also talking about IPC increases.

Since you also want pcie4 there are only two possible products coming in the future for you to get that and more gaming performance - Zen 3 which has 15% extra IPC or Rocket Lake-S which has pcie4 and should have more IPC because it's a new backported architecture on 14nm.

So given your options you should just stop looking at CPU upgrades until 2021

I agree, 3950x wasnt a viable upgrade over my 9900K and for gaming its still a great chip.

Back
Top Bottom