Doom Eternal

ne0

ne0

Associate
So many people giving their justification as to not liking the game as "I suck at it therefore the game sucks" lol

Associate
Really enjoying this so far, apart from 2 things. The ammo, there isnt enough. Much prefer Doom 2016 on this part, and the upgrades for the weapons. I really liked how in 2016 Doom you had to perform certain criteria to upgrade the weapons. Other than that its pretty epic. The lore and background story is awesome as well, and the enemies, weapons movement is fantastic.

The engine is bloody brilliant. Oh please can we have Quake 5 with this engine, a nice long SP game like Quake 4. That would be amazing. And a prequel with the night sentinals would be ace.

Associate
Agree with what most are saying on here, the platforming prevents this from being great for me. The problem is you just have no idea where your jumping to most the time, so it's trial and error with just jumping and guessing.

Associate
My save game corrupt on about level 5, looks like I need to redo it again! Regarding ammo, I'm.finding it a pain, but I found the ammo from barrels upgrade useful and then have them respawning.

Soldato
Yep loving this so far, recently completed Doom 2016 in preparation for this, this is just as good if not a tiny bit better

It just feels relentless and rewarding, and the music is just awesome!

Soldato
I was going to wait for this to drop in price, but after reading about the aspects people are split over, I think I'll wait till until it's ten quid or less. Platforming and grovelling around for ammo are not what I want from my Doom. I think this game would probably frustrate the hell out of me :)

Associate
There is plenty of Ammo in this game, as long as you cycle your guns and keep some fodder on hand and treat them as ammo crates.

This is not a mindless game it's challenging by design with appropriate difficulty. There are a lot of mechanics which will become muscle memory given time and at that point it is very satisfying indeed. I do recommend key binding everything. If you are struggling/ getting frustrated absolutely no harm in lowering the difficulty. There is always the infinite ammo cheat as well.

Soldato
Just finished the game, I enjoyed the first two thirds of the game but the last third became tiresome and just frustrating. Glad for it to be over in the end.

Lack of ammo was seriously annoying throughout the game but at the same time it forces you to change up weapons regularly depending on situation.
The engine ran like a dream though, so smooth all the way through even in the most hectic of scenes.

Soldato
Head straight for the Arachnatron, pick up the damage boost on a rock platform on the way, microwave it (plasma mod) and it will die quick due to the damage boost. Then head straight for the Reaper and do the same while the damage boost is still active. Watch out for the big guy, use the air boosts to good effect, slow motion sticky grenade him. Keep moving. You'll get the hang of it. I'm not a very fast player at all and I did it on Nightmare (did die a bunch of times... hadn't been using the air boosts + slow motion to my advantage offensively).

And as Aztec2Step said, just one sticky bomb and glory kill deals with a Cacodemon, if you shoot at the right moment.

Thanks for the tips. Finally progressed last night. Finished that level.

Associate
Starting to get a bit more ****** off with this. Its getting a bit daft. Dying over and over multiple times on each fight. Now on the ice planet, and got this stupid fight in a small room with blood all over the floor. nowhere to move 2 mancubus turn up.

Associate
Starting to get a bit more ****** off with this. Its getting a bit daft. Dying over and over multiple times on each fight. Now on the ice planet, and got this stupid fight in a small room with blood all over the floor. nowhere to move 2 mancubus turn up.

I was tearing my hair out one night on the very same section. I then tried it the next day and the answer was staring me right in the mug; the cueballs RUIN those Mancubi (Mancubuses? Munubusi? Plurals...)

Soldato
Agree with what most are saying on here, the platforming prevents this from being great for me. The problem is you just have no idea where your jumping to most the time, so it's trial and error with just jumping and guessing.

I really don't get how people think this as I don't think it could be more obvious half the time. Just aim for the textured walls or bright yellow monkey bars....

Soldato

If your finding it too hard you can always turn the difficulty down and then back up after you've done the section your struggling with. But if your already on easiest then go play The Sims :p

Soldato
Well I'm about 50% through now and loving the game, not a massive fan of the platforming but its fine and it does break up the anxiety inducing violence that when it gets going is just in your face mental.

Playing on Ultra Violence and getting owned (a lot!!), some sections I'm in double digits on the amount of times I've died but its totally down to me and the fact I suck and need to learn better weapons switching and use....love the game though its a 10/10 for me.

Soldato
I can live with the difficulty and gunplay mechanics (ie forcing wep changes and making use of chainsaw). I'm playing on ultra violence on a game pad.

I can live with the obvious tomb raider inspired platforming.

But it's the dumbing down of the theme that sucks. It's far too cheesy. Art direction on characters and enemies is too cartoony. I want the atmosphere of Doom 3 (or even Doom 2016). I want it to be gruesome and dark. Like something out of Event Horizon. I want it to be serious. It just isnt.

Rocking up to earth in what is basically a "house-ship" and the so called doom slayers teenager inspired bedroom. The cheesy script and cheesy voice acting (I'm looking at you hell priests), the cheesy "news reporting" on the bridge of the house-ship.

I just cant engage with this game past just shooting and killing stuff which is a shame.

Back
Top Bottom