Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Associate
Yes if we think what the rules are intended for (social distancing) there is no reason at all why you cant go for a run from your house provided you are unlikely to run into large groups that you cannot avoid.

I've cut back mileage by about 1/3 to a 1/2 since London postponed. All relaxing off road stuff for me at the moment and it feels wonderful :)

Soldato
Any tips for self-analysing gait?

With shops currently closed getting a professional assessment / advice and buying decent shoes is weeks if not months away.

Ex-gym rat turned cyclists turned runner. Well, dabbling a bit in the latter. Recently moved from the treadmill after lifting to running outside, like most I expect.

My CV base/carry over from cycling is very good, ran a predominantly flat 5 miles on a local path in just under 40 minutes but I can already tell that my £40 Adidas Cloudfoam which are really fashion trainers at best, aren't ideal and mild shin splints/pumps during the run and significant calf DOMS the next day will only get worse with time.

Granted some of this stems from a lack of conditioning and adjusting to running outdoors, as these issues were absent on the treadmill but I know that shelling out on good shoes is a no brainer.

From memory and analysing my shoes I believe I tend to Supinate, so in the interim and until I can get properly assessed is looking for shoes to support this running style & gait advisable?

Soldato
Talk of the town is then they might be stopping the exercise

I really hope not running is my only exercise im not a fan of home workouts and the rest.

I have to say social distancing is rather hard at times on my run I sometimes run down narrow paths or paths where there no way I can get out the way. Also their bumpy grass but you can easy slip on that I have nearly done it many times trying to dodge walkers over the last week my ankle slipped out.

I think us runners kind of like bugger it and just run past each other now haha I will when their walkers etc cross the road and move to another pavement if I can.

Associate
Talk of the town is then they might be stopping the exercise

I really hope not running is my only exercise im not a fan of home workouts and the rest.

I have to say social distancing is rather hard at times on my run I sometimes run down narrow paths or paths where there no way I can get out the way. Also their bumpy grass but you can easy slip on that I have nearly done it many times trying to dodge walkers over the last week my ankle slipped out.

I think us runners kind of like bugger it and just run past each other now haha I will when their walkers etc cross the road and move to another pavement if I can.

Unless they do a proper lockdown I'll just have to run to work and back everyday ... 14 miles a day is doable at my current fitness level

Associate
My work is just downstairs... That is also doable at my fitness level ;)

Having said that, Why can i do 10k outside in around 1:06 - 1:10 when doing an easy(ish) run, but on the treadmill, I cannot maintain an easy pace sufficient to make similar time. 1Hr last night was around 7.3km.

My current thinking is that the treadmill doesn't give me any downhill at all and so there are no easier parts where a little recovery is possible. Other alternative is that it is just way out on distance, but the footpod/watch are within 250 meters of the treadmill distance, so that might not be the case.

Associate
I think thats the thing. Massive boredom, not helped by the fact that it is a basic one with no incline adjustment on it other than the 0% / 5% you can do by adjusting a foot at the back.

Also, the period dramas on the TV are only 1 hr long :) If they were 2 hrs, then I would be happy to stay on the thing to avoid the TV :D

Soldato
Actually started running on a regular basis since January, still nowhere near most people here as I'm on a heavy side and long neglected my CV system.

As still do a lot of stop and start running while I improve, is it worth investing in those little fitness bands with a heart rate function so I can monitor my progress that way? Pacing can still be a problem so figured it might help keep me on track better or it's all just a gimmick?

Soldato
Heavy side is fine. Whilst i've lost weight and seen improvements i'm still around 97kg (down from 110kg). Just have to take it easy to not overload joints etc by doing too much.

Do you use any apps to track pace/distance etc? Presumably you've seen some improvements. If it was me i'd probably try and reduce the pace to see if i could do more running and less walking. How often do you run a week and what kind of distances/duration are you doing?

My wife has the Fitbit Inspire HR, was around £70 and gets similar HR results to both my old Apple Watch and my current Garmin. It's not as accurate as a HR strap but it's a decent guide. You can also then use it to track runs and get other metrics (cadence, pace, distance etc)

Soldato
Heavy side is fine. Whilst i've lost weight and seen improvements i'm still around 97kg (down from 110kg). Just have to take it easy to not overload joints etc by doing too much.

Do you use any apps to track pace/distance etc? Presumably you've seen some improvements. If it was me i'd probably try and reduce the pace to see if i could do more running and less walking. How often do you run a week and what kind of distances/duration are you doing?

My wife has the Fitbit Inspire HR, was around £70 and gets similar HR results to both my old Apple Watch and my current Garmin. It's not as accurate as a HR strap but it's a decent guide. You can also then use it to track runs and get other metrics (cadence, pace, distance etc)

I'm even heavier than that ;)

At the moment use MapMyRun and yeah, certainly seen improvements since starting in January. Run every other day and depending on which trail I select at my local woods, it's between 2.5 and 3 miles.

When I run the pace seems to be between 9m and 9:30s, so average with stopping (to walk) over last 2 weeks looks to be around 10:55s.

I don't seem to be that good at controlling my pace as can get a little eager sometimes which is where I'm thinking one of those HR monitors may come in handy, as I can train in a particular HR zone? Then again maybe I just want another gadget so should just stick with plain old discipline :D

Associate
I've found there isn't a lot of knowledge about for heavier runners. Stuff like which shoes to wear etc.

I was given a really bad recommendation for shoes a couple of months ago when they looked at my stride etc in ASICS. I bought the Kayanos as they said they would give me the most stability but they were just so firm to run in they destroyed my legs.

I've tried loads of shoes but currently, run in Ultraboost 19s for longer runs and Nike Reacts for 5k's.

I really want to try the new infinity Reacts which are supposed to prevent injury but I'm struggling with throwing another £140 at shoes.

The only thing I do like about being a heavier runner is I always seem to be number 1 in segments in my weight class on Strava 95kgs - 104kgs :D

Back
Top Bottom