Football and the Coronavirus

Caporegime
And the latest Independent report on how the PL are planning to finish the league:

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...ixtures-dates-suspension-latest-a9432961.html

Teams will be quarantined in hotels based in the midlands and london with games played at neutral venues in these regions, possibly including matches played on training pitches. TV crews and officials will also have to be quarantined. Government are said to be supportive of the idea however the plan relies on testing to be readily available and it not taking up too much medical resources, with the possibility of the League having it's own private hospital to deal with injuries etc.

If we're playing 19 games instead of 38 then how would it be the same amount of games over the season? :confused:
Top league plays 19 games each, so does the second league. Between the two leagues, there’s still a full season game wise, but in a compacted timeframe.

forget that, my maths has gone to **** :D

Don
Top league plays 19 games each, so does the second league. Between the two leagues, there’s still a full season, but in a compacted timeframe.
No rob, that's not a full season :D All you've done is create two leagues with a total of half the number of games.

And teams wouldn't play 19 games either. If these Leagues were 10 teams each and you played everybody twice then you'd only play 18 games.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Really good to see premier league clubs claiming the governments help to pay the wages of their support staff so they can keep paying their players ridiculous wages in times like these. God I hate so much about this country sometimes. All the scumbags in large companies will use the government scheme to protect their own salaries and let the government take up the slack. People should ******* riot when these huge corporations post their profits and bonuses they will inevitably pay as usual next year. Utter scum.

Soldato
Really good to see premier league clubs claiming the governments help to pay the wages of their support staff so they can keep paying their players ridiculous wages in times like these. God I hate so much about this country sometimes. All the scumbags in large companies will use the government scheme to protect their own salaries and let the government take up the slack. People should ******* riot when these huge corporations post their profits and bonuses they will inevitably pay as usual next year. Utter scum.

Some club's are cutting players wages, think Juventus have done this?, it does seem unfair that all the background workers of a club take a wage cut yet players earning **** loads are still on full wage.

Soldato
Something that would interest me to know - clubs are receiving flack for furloughing staff but maintaining player wages at the moment - how much of a % of their player monthly wage bill would a club typically have to cut in order to self fund paying their non-playing staff their full wage bill without any government support? I'm guessing the figures are out there somewhere.

My gut feeling says it wouldn't actually be very much but then you see Spurs have cut the salary of (and in some cases furloughed) something like 550 staff and then I think actually, even assuming an average wage of £25,000pa, you'd still need to find over £1m in a month to cover that - that's probably a fair chunk of their monthly player wage bill?

Either way, it's not a good look to be giving your regular joe staff 20% cuts whilst your players are taking 100%.

Don
It's especially not a good look when the man that took the decision has just paid himself a £3m bonus for delivering a hugely delayed and over budget stadium, on top of his already League high salary.

As for how big a cut in playing staff's wage would be needed to pay non playing staff's wage in full, it's impossible to calculate that exactly as clubs don't split playing and non playing staff's wages in their accounts. You can do some approximate calculations though. Sporting Intelligence does a global sports salary report every year and iinm Spurs average basic salary for a first team player is approx £76k per week. If you base that on 25 players/senior staff then that's a fraction over £8.2m per month. I think your average £25k pa salary for non playing staff is generous. Of those 550 staff a large amount will be part time stewards/match day staff working an average of as little as 5 hours per week. But even if you base it on £25k then the total is £1.146m. Less than a 14% cut in first team players salaries would pay that without government support.

Caporegime
It's disappointing but it's the players who are seen as valuable. It shouldn't be on individuals to do it but I can't see why more aren't following others in offering up a chunk of their salary, a 20k cut per week for those on 100k+ is nothing for a couple of months and that alone would cover a years salary for several lower level staff members.

It's particularly disappointing for those clubs that are seen as "family clubs" who've so far done zilch.

Soldato
Utter scum.

PL attitude summed up in two words. THS average player wage £70k per week, pay them the same maximum as you can get on furlough of £2500, taking just 10 played over 4 weeks would give them £2.8m to give to non playing staff, which is enough to employ nearly 560 staff on the maximum £2.5k per month for 2 full months!

Or you know the general public can just pay it through their taxes after we get out of this mess, utter scum is being nice.

EDIT: I hope that clubs like THS end up going bust, disappearing, what a bunch of utter tossers.

Don
It's disappointing but it's the players who are seen as valuable....
I suspect the biggest issue for PL clubs is the potential for players to terminate their contracts if they're not paid in full. You'd hope and expect that the vast majority of players wouldn't take advantage of this situation however it's possible. Hypothetically Spurs could take the decision to cut player salaries by 15% to cover non playing staffs salaries in full and then Harry Kane, a £100m+ asset, could attempt to terminate his contract and leave for nothing.

It should be said that a number of clubs have already committed to paying staff in full and it's currently only Newcastle and Spurs that aren't. We're just waiting for West Ham to join them.

fez

fez

Caporegime
The government should have the power to levy an emergency tax in situations like this. The countries economy is getting utterly ruined and the only people who will make money from this are the wealthy and those in industries like banking.

Don
If you're suggesting that football clubs will make money out of this then you're wrong. Football clubs will lose a lot of money, the issue here is that they're cutting the salaries of those that are most in need and paying their wealthiest staff in full.

Caporegime
If you're suggesting that football clubs will make money out of this then you're wrong. Football clubs will lose a lot of money, the issue here is that they're cutting the salaries of those that are most in need and paying their wealthiest staff in full.
This is the problem that is happening. The players, in an ideal world, would salary sacrifice to help the staff. This has happened at some clubs, but not all. Some players are agreeing it themselves and not all at a club. The agreement must come from the players, because, as you stated above, if it's enforced it can become a legal battle to keep players who have had their contract altered without agreement. And there are some mercenaries who would take advantage of that.

Man of Honour
OP
Will the players have 'act of god' related clauses in their contracts? It may be a legal thing and the clubs have to pay them.

The players should be agreeable to a reduction in pay really, I think we can all agree they are paid OTT wages, but that's not how it really works.

fez

fez

Caporegime

I'm not suggesting they will make money at times like these but when any corporation is taking handouts from the government, they shouldn't be paying executives and the high-ups ridiculous money at the same time. Would you be happy seeing Barclays paying their staff through the governments 80% scheme and then paying their top bosses £20m bonuses and giving their traders big bonuses. Some clubs will struggle hugely during this period but the big clubs in the league should be insisting that their players/managers and executives cover for the average staff member.

This pandemic is really showing just how scummy most business owners are.

Back
Top Bottom