• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 5700 XT Owners Thread.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Hi,

I know this varies from card to card, but have owners experienced much coil whine?

I'd always been lucky until I got my Vega 64, which I may replace with one of these.

Thanks!

I've had coil whine or pretty much all my GPUs from the past few years. My 5700 XT has it, as did the other 2 5700 XT I had (Gigabyte and Sapphire).

All have been run on 750w Platnium rated PSUs.

Associate
The coil whine also includes a GTX 1070, 2060, 2070 Super and 2080 Ti.

Ouch! I really have been lucky!

Everything from my first Trident 1Mb video card up to and including a pair of GTX 970s (and the 1070 in my laptop come to think of it) has been fine for me - I've heard coil whine but only when the cards have been rendering something silly like 1000fps at a black screen - but the Vega was the first time I'd heard it during normal gaming.

Permabanned
The coil whine also includes a GTX 1070, 2060, 2070 Super and 2080 Ti.
The only card to give me consistent whine was the Radeon 4870 Golden Sample which i bought from here way back in 2009 on sale... 512MB variant. The GTX 480 also whines but only at very high FPS; 400+ frames.

Soldato
Received my XFX Thic III RX5700XT last week.

Absolutely perfect, no driver reinstall required from my RX580.

Silent even before optimising the clocks to 2100/1150mV from 2065/1200.

Stupid name though and absolutely massive. Nearly didn’t fit in my case! Once I’d moved the drive cages around it fit, phew!

LiE

LiE

Caporegime

Stupid name though and absolutely massive. Nearly didn’t fit in my case! Once I’d moved the drive cages around it fit, phew!

What are your Junction temps during gaming with that over clock?

Associate
I went with Powercolour Red Dragon 5700 XT which has 2 fans, as I'm currently limited for space in my case until I upgrade to a SFX PSU. I've had this card installed since about 5pm! DDU/uninstall nVidia drivers/install AMD drivers, all ok so far, my Freesync monitor was detected and enabled by default, great. This card has a BIOS switch; OC or silent, I prefer silence, went with that. So far its doesn't look like the zero fan mode is working, but they go to so low that I really can't tell anyway. There is some coil whine, not loud but there, I think I can just about accept it while casual gaming/without headphones and not a problem with headphones. I don't seem to be able to software control the fan speed over BIOS, but that maybe my Argus Monitor fan control software needs more updates. I thought I could hear coil whine just now at idle but it turned out to be my LED light bulb behind me :) It's louder than my 1070 but it would be because it uses more watts. It's fine so far though, pretty good for the money.

Associate
Gaming temps and noise are better than Furmarks :) Fan control is fine, its just zero fan that doesn't work, but not a deal breaker. GPU temp is fine on this card, its vram temps that get warm 88C, but gaming it fine and I've dialled the rpm noise way down to sensible. I just won't ever run Furmark again, problem solved!

Associate
Anyone upgraded from a Vega 56 to this card? Very tempted to get one, as it includes resident evil 3 which I would buy anyway, and selling the Vega should make it a cheapish upgrade...

Wondering how much performance gain I'd actually see.

Associate
I got zero fan working after doing.. something in Radeon Software, it works, until the GPU is asked to do anything, like youtube, the temps creep up until the fan goes on for 60 secs and back off again for a few mins, then repeat, so it was just annoying, I just set the fan curve to always on low/faster for not-gaming/gaming.

I been reading that many 5700 type cards with DDR6 RAM have bad thermal pads or bad contact or both, which sounds like mine does due to poor ram temps. After tweaking rpm down the only high temp on card is ram at 88C.

Associate
Anyone upgraded from a Vega 56 to this card?

Can't give you real tech numbers but I went from Sapphire Vega 56 at 3440x1440 on medium on most games to 3440x1440 Ultra with my Aorus 5700XT and like you sold my Vega 56 which was a nice upgrade.

Associate

id still do DDU if i was you

Soldato
Anyone upgraded from a Vega 56 to this card? Very tempted to get one, as it includes resident evil 3 which I would buy anyway, and selling the Vega should make it a cheapish upgrade...

Resident evil 3 runs very well anyway, all cards should be able to do it. Both my gtx 1080 and 5700xt could easily play max settings 1440p.

The HDR didn't work at all on any of the resident evil games using though 5700xt though.

Looking at the Powercolour 5700XT Red Devil, what sort of performance upgrade is this compared to my evga 1080 Hybrid?

Depends on the game.

Borderlands 3 was massively faster on the 5700xt compared to my gtx 1080 but other games not much different.

Back
Top Bottom