Painting Fence Best product to kill Algae?

Associate
Thought it was time to paint the fence as im getting through jobs quite quick whilst im in lockdown :D

Got some Cuprinol Ducksback in Silver Copse as our fence doesnt get any sun in the summer its got a lot of algae on it what product would be best?

I've seen bleach mentioned (not the most wildlife friendly option)

Also been looking at this stuff from screwfix
https://www.screwfix.com/p/swarfega...ount+Code&utm_content=TextLink&utm_term=47868

IMG-20200405-145640.jpg

Soldato
I used watered down bleach and an old paintbrush and painted it onto the fence, then left it a few days. Worked a treat, though I'm not sure it's particularly eco friendly as you say, though I doubt any algae killing chemicals are.

Soldato
The cheapest way is surely to give it a scrub using some elbow grease? Stiff brush and some detergent? Pretty sure that's what I've done in the past.

Someone mentioned a pressure washer when I searched.

Associate
OP
Thought id try the bleach option put it in my pump sprayer and it seems to have done the job,there's still a few patches so going back over today

IMG-20200405-WA0004.jpg

The cheapest way is surely to give it a scrub using some elbow grease? Stiff brush and some detergent? Pretty sure that's what I've done in the past.

Someone mentioned a pressure washer when I searched.

I did try that but thought there must be an easier way lol

Soldato
Looks good!

Despite having a south facing garden, our rear fence on the inside bit is always in a shade, so we have lots of moss/algae growing on it. Will give this a go before painting it.

Soldato
Thought id try the bleach option put it in my pump sprayer and it seems to have done the job,there's still a few patches so going back over today

I did try that but thought there must be an easier way lol

Nice work.

When are you planning to do mine? :p

Permabanned
Sodium hypochlorite (bleach) from a farm supplies place, comes in 25 litre drums, used to be cheap as chips, now like everything has gone up but FAR cheaper than buying little bottles of Domestos. Farmers use it for sanitising dairies.

A big mug full to a normal watering can of water. Apply with a distemper brush, mind your eyes and get it nowhere near fish ponds. It will also bring those paving slabs up like near new put on when damp after rain using a watering can and rose. I do the main path once a year like that to kill algae and moss

Otherwise a steam cleaner although a cold pressure washer of some decent pressure and flow might work. Heat from a proper steam cleaner makes a BIG difference though.

Soldato
Sodium hypochlorite (bleach) from a farm supplies place, comes in 25 litre drums, used to be cheap as chips, now like everything has gone up but FAR cheaper than buying little bottles of Domestos. Farmers use it for sanitising dairies.

A big mug full to a normal watering can of water. Apply with a distemper brush, mind your eyes and get it nowhere near fish ponds. It will also bring those paving slabs up like near new put on when damp after rain using a watering can and rose. I do the main path once a year like that to kill algae and moss

Otherwise a steam cleaner although a cold pressure washer of some decent pressure and flow might work. Heat from a proper steam cleaner makes a BIG difference though.
Does that work on block paving also?

Back
Top Bottom