Flat has an internal BT phone extension, can i rewire this for RJ45?

Soldato
So I now have 1gb internet, and WiFi and Powerline just doesn't cut it anymore!

So while sat at my desk thinking of solutions, i had a thought.

In my flat I have FTTH/FTTP BT internet, with my own router (a Asus RT-86U)

This router, and the FTTH entry point is in a cupboard near the entrance of my flat, and my living room is on the opposite side of the corridor which means cabling is difficult given that it requires breaking into two walls.

However, behind my desk is an outlet for a BT Phone, so i'm not talking RJ11 or RJ45 but one of those phone specific connections which as far as i'm aware no other devices use.

The other side of this is in that cupboard and is currently un-connected, I have no interest in having a home phone so had a thought, I'm assuming these internal phone extension cables, use some kind of Cat5 cable?

I'm hoping as my flat is 3 years old, it maybe a decent type of cable as well.
Doe's anyone know if its possible to re-terminate these connections to RJ45?

Soldato
No way of knowing without checking the cable.

It could be Cat5e or similar network cable. It's equally likely to be CW1308 or even untwisted 'alarm' cable.

If it is network cable then it could be reterminated.

Soldato
OP
so basically, take the faceplate off and see how many wires there are i guess? or even check what is written on it?

Associate
I did this in my old flat, the BT phone extension into the bedroom only had two wire pairs but that’s still enough for 100Mb Ethernet (wires 1,2,3 and 6 used) should you terminate RJ45 connectors/plates onto the ends

Back
Top Bottom