Screen goes black for a few seconds

Associate
Hey all experiencing a weird one. My screen goes black for a second or two sometimes (Ive noticed it happens mainly when playing games) - Is this HDMI cable related do you think? Graphics card dodgy?

Associate
Hey all experiencing a weird one. My screen goes black for a second or two sometimes (Ive noticed it happens mainly when playing games) - Is this HDMI cable related do you think? Graphics card dodgy?

I had a similar thing and it was a dodgy cable. Worth giving it a wiggle and seeing if that causes issues on the screen.

Associate
Yeah could well be, Im just using the one my monitor came with but its not old or anything. Probably 4-5 months old.

Not sure whether they would pack the best cables in there but if it's an HDMI 2.0 spec cable and you're running high refresh rates at 4k, you might be pushing the cable to its bandwidth limits. Investing in a displayport 1.4 spec cable might be a sensible way to spend £20.

How are you finding the monitor by the way? I keep toying with getting a 32" UHD screen and the hinge thing on the Samsung looks interesting. Still not sure whether to hold out for something with a higher refresh rate, although I'm not sure I can see one of them coming out for a while!

Associate
OP
Not sure whether they would pack the best cables in there but if it's an HDMI 2.0 spec cable and you're running high refresh rates at 4k, you might be pushing the cable to its bandwidth limits. Investing in a displayport 1.4 spec cable might be a sensible way to spend £20.

How are you finding the monitor by the way? I keep toying with getting a 32" UHD screen and the hinge thing on the Samsung looks interesting. Still not sure whether to hold out for something with a higher refresh rate, although I'm not sure I can see one of them coming out for a while!

I'll be honest, its great playing in 4K but I'd have opted for the 144hz 27" QHD given the option again. If you don't have a steady table on hard ground also it wobbles a bit (I have mine on carpet). It is a great panel though, colour repro is great and I use it every day for graphic design work. I wouldn't worry too much about the stand as you can get 3rd party clamp stands so I'd pick the panel you want and adjust the stand config to suit. Hope that helps

Associate
OP
Everyone gives this answer but it's not the answer I want to hear!! I do a bit of photo editing which is why I keep thinking a 4k panel would be better.

If gaming isn't your main focus (or you have some juice to run games at 4K) then its a great monitor and will suit your needs well. My 2080 Super plays everything I've thrown at it at 60fps absolute minimum, anything over 60fps to me is just wasted resolution ;)

Associate
If gaming isn't your main focus (or you have some juice to run games at 4K) then its a great monitor and will suit your needs well. My 2080 Super plays everything I've thrown at it at 60fps absolute minimum, anything over 60fps to me is just wasted resolution ;)

I guess what I actually want is a 32" 4K/60Hz monitor that will also do 1440p/144Hz, but hey.

Back
Top Bottom