• Series S

Votes: 104 11.7%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
Don't remember them being slated for that at all :confused: The Xbox had a higher clocked CPU AFAIK. They were slated for the inclusion of kinect and that stupid DRM announcement.

The forum has a search function, so it's not hard to check (although the 25 page limit makes it harder than it should be).

It's fairly easy to find posts bemoaning the specs of the Xbox One (though often in the context of "It's more expensive and less powerful because of this crappy Kinect thing that I don't want"). The real world difference doesn't appear to have become apparent until Ubisoft announced that Watch Dogs would only be 720p on Xbox One (vs 1080p on PS4) in January 2014.

However, I'd be curious whether @Macro can actually find examples of individual hypocrisy? Otherwise this is all pretty meaningless. Not everyone is bothered about the differences in the specs.

Last edited:
Soldato
Going back to the series X specs, would there be any chance the ethernet could be 10 gigabit? Also with the USB being revision 3.2 does this allow nvme SSD being used in the appropriate USB enclosure to achieve similar 2-4GB/Sec speeds as the internal.

1 TB doesn't really cut it these days.

Soldato
The forum has a search function, so it's not hard to check (although the 25 page limit makes it harder than it should be).

It's fairly easy to find posts bemoaning the specs of the Xbox One (though often in the context of "It's more expensive and less powerful because of this crappy Kinect thing that I don't want"). The real world difference doesn't appear to have become apparent until Ubisoft announced that Watch Dogs would only be 720p on Xbox One (vs 1080p on PS4) in January 2014.

However, I'd be curious whether @Macro can actually find examples of individual hypocrisy? Otherwise this is all pretty meaningless. Not everyone is bothered about the differences in the specs.
I'm not accusing anyone personally of hypocrisy. I don't believe it would be in the spirit of the forum to go looking for peoples posts on a personal level and start a pointless who said what argument. It remains just an observation.

Soldato
I'm not accusing anyone personally of hypocrisy. I don't believe it would be in the spirit of the forum to go looking for peoples posts on a personal level and start a pointless who said what argument. It remains just an observation.

But if it's collective then it's largely meaningless. Maybe the same people who aren't bothered by the spec difference between the PS5 and the XSX are the same ones who weren't bothered by the spec difference between the PS4 and Xbox One, or the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X?

Man of Honour
I’ll opt for whichever is the most painless to use. Both could take a leaf out of Nintendo’s / Apple’s book on that.
I hope not! My work iPhone is horrible as all apps have to stay on the home screens, and the switch desperately needs folders.

The Xbox interface is great if you tweak it to your preferences, if you leave it standard it’s a mess.

Man of Honour
I hope not! My work iPhone is horrible as all apps have to stay on the home screen, and the switch desperately needs folders.

The Xbox interface is great if you tweak it to your preferences, if you leave it standard it’s a mess.
On my iPhone I have my frequently used apps on the unlock screen and then a second page of apps / folders and flick between the two. Have you tried moving the unwanted apps to a second home page? Click on the apps until you can shuffle them around and if you hover to the right of the screen they should move over.... unless you have very rigid work system in place that prevents them from being moved.

Man of Honour
Going back to the series X specs, would there be any chance the ethernet could be 10 gigabit? Also with the USB being revision 3.2 does this allow nvme SSD being used in the appropriate USB enclosure to achieve similar 2-4GB/Sec speeds as the internal.

1 TB doesn't really cut it these days.
The latency of USB 3.2 is too high to achieve the same performance as the internal drive.

Man of Honour
On my iPhone I have my frequently used apps on the unlock screen and then a second page of apps / folders and flick between the two. Have you tried moving the unwanted apps to a second home page? Click on the apps until you can shuffle them around and if you hover to the right of the screen they should move over.... unless you have very rigid work system in place that prevents them from being moved.
Android lets you not have them on any home screens, which is a far better solution than hiding them on a second page.

Man of Honour
Android lets you not have them on any home screens, which is a far better solution than hiding them on a second page.
You could group them into a single folder/app space? Think it’s just what your used to. I struggle with my MacBook because I just don’t like the way things are arranged compared with windows... drives me potty!

Soldato
As an avid fan of Vr I have no choice I have to go ps5. I find it incredibly disappointing that ms is ignoring Vr.

That's what disappoints me most with the Xbox Series X is the lack of new features announced so far. I mean, it's great that they've gone all out with the design, cooling and it all looks very impressive having created the most powerful console in terms of teraflops. I also like what they're offering with Netflix-style Game Pass subscriptions.

However, where are all the exciting new features? No VR announcements or any kind of Hololens tie in as of yet? The controller is also virtually identical to the previous one. I'd hoped to see some carry over from the Xbox Elite controller into this generation but nope.

I'm hoping Microsoft have held back on some special sauce announcements they'll put out there when Sony start unveiling more details about the PS5.

Associate
That's what disappoints me most with the Xbox Series X is the lack of new features announced so far. I mean, it's great that they've gone all out with the design, cooling and it all looks very impressive having created the most powerful console in terms of teraflops. I also like what they're offering with Netflix-style Game Pass subscriptions.

However, where are all the exciting new features? No VR announcements or any kind of Hololens tie in as of yet? The controller is also virtually identical to the previous one. I'd hoped to see some carry over from the Xbox Elite controller into this generation but nope.

I'm hoping Microsoft have held back on some special sauce announcements they'll put out there when Sony start unveiling more details about the PS5.

they tried that with Kinect and got destroyed for it.. sounds like they are playing safe next gen, and maybe introducing VR at a later stage at a guess. VR is still very up in the air at the moment as its still immature... VR on consoles is going to be a huge factor if VR is going to be a success or not

Soldato
they tried that with Kinect and got destroyed for it.. sounds like they are playing safe next gen

True but I think they may be playing it too safe. I mean compare the "next generation" xbox controller to the current PS4 dual shock. The PS4 one has a touchpad, VR/Move tracking support, gyroscope support and headphone/mic support. Even now before Sony have announced anything Microsoft's new controller looks utterly uninspired and lacking in features compared to what Sony offered seven years ago!

I really think they need to offer more than simply saying "we have the most powerful console" to tempt people away from the Playstation. That might be VR/Hololens support, keyboard/mouse/PC peripheral support, eGPU capability so the xbox can be used with a laptop over Thunderbolt, etc.

To me the new Xbox seems utterly bereft of any innovation/uniqueness to make people want to upgrade and/or give them a reason to choose it over a PS5?

Associate
True but I think they may be playing it too safe. I mean compare the "next generation" xbox controller to the current PS4 dual shock. The PS4 one has a touchpad, VR/Move tracking support, gyroscope support and headphone/mic support. Even now before Sony have announced anything Microsoft's new controller looks utterly uninspired and lacking in features compared to what Sony offered seven years ago!

I really think they need to offer more than simply saying "we have the most powerful console" to tempt people away from the Playstation. That might be VR/Hololens support, keyboard/mouse/PC peripheral support, eGPU capability so the xbox can be used with a laptop over Thunderbolt, etc.

To me the new Xbox seems utterly bereft of any innovation/uniqueness to make people want to upgrade and/or give them a reason to choose it over a PS5?

Microsoft's marketing of the Series X certainly has me currently getting one over the PS5 as it stands. People like a bit of transparency. And they've done everything that they've needed to in the lead up to release very well indeed.

I expect GamePass is a compelling reason to get the Series X as well.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hey, it's just my opinion of how things look based on what I've seen so far. I'm sure others will see it differently!

As with the current generation there looks to be very little difference between the systems again so I can see why folk might opt for either :cool:

Associate
Microsoft's marketing of the Series X certainly has me currently getting one over the PS5 as it stands. People like a bit of transparency. And they've done everything that they've needed to in the lead up to release very well indeed.

I expect GamePass is a compelling reason to get the Series X as well.
Likewise - I'm loving the idea that I can buy a new release game on the Xbox One X and when I get around to upgrading to Series X it'll be the Series X version at no additional cost (i.e. purchase one game across multiple platforms).
I love the PS joypad for fighting and sport games, but the touchpad is pointless and little more than a giant button........I also have a preference for shooters and driving games, and the Xbox pad is king in that area.

I suspect I'll buy both again, PS5 for Sony games, and the Xbox for everything else.

Soldato
I suspect I'll buy both again, PS5 for Sony games, and the Xbox for everything else.

That's basically what I did but the opposite. Xbox for Halo/Forza and PS4 for everything else :D

Though in hindsight if I'd known how little I'd use my XboxOne and that Forza would also end up being available on PC then I doubt I would have bought an XB1 at launch along with my PS4. Hence why I'm feeling reluctant to do the same again for the XSX

Last edited:
Associate
That's basically what I did but the opposite. Xbox for Halo/Forza and PS4 for everything else :D

Though in hindsight if I'd known how little I'd use my XboxOne and that Forza would also end up being available on PC then I doubt I would have bought an XB1 at launch along with my PS4. Hence why I'm feeling reluctant to do the same again for the XSX
I did similar when the PS4 & XBone came out, then swapped halfway through to the XB OneX for my main console and PS4pro for the exclusives........and then end up playing nothing but World of Tanks! :D

I'm also a fan of Kinect though - it's really useful when the wife is on the TV first and I need to log in to stream to my PC (can just wave at it and it logs me in)

Soldato
they tried that with Kinect and got destroyed for it.. sounds like they are playing safe next gen, and maybe introducing VR at a later stage at a guess. VR is still very up in the air at the moment as its still immature... VR on consoles is going to be a huge factor if VR is going to be a success or not

I really hope VR takes off on PS5 and XSX, PSVR has given me some of the best moments of this generation largely because it is such a different experience and as an old codger of 38 with 30 years of gaming behind me I long for more than even shinier graphics (even if they are lovely to look at).

Associate
I really hope VR takes off on PS5 and XSX, PSVR has given me some of the best moments of this generation largely because it is such a different experience and as an old codger of 38 with 30 years of gaming behind me I long for more than even shinier graphics (even if they are lovely to look at).
Can't disagree with that - every game nowadays seems to be PUBG with nobs on!:D

Soldato

+1

Back
Top Bottom