AV amp on way out, recommend new please

Soldato
My trusty Denon 1909 seems to be on the way out. I've had it around 13 years but now frequently goes into protection mode.

Not been in the game so not sure what to look out for. Any recommendations for a new amp that is future proof that won't break the bank, supports bi-amping front speakers and 5.1 that I can look into please?

Soldato
It's pointless as using the same power supply for all four channels.

Now if you have two separate , two channel power amplifier, or four monoblocs that's another matter.

Plus avrs sound crap, so any benefit of bi amping is lost from the crappy amp.

I'm vertically biamping my hifi system. Using a two channel amp for left, and another two channel amp for right.

Last edited:
Soldato
I went for the Sony STR-1080, similar price brand new and got no issues with mine a year on, working solid and sounds great. But doubt you can go wrong with either

Man of Honour
Currently looking at the Denon AVR-X2600H and will see where it takes me
Current Denons have a reputation for running very hot. That's not so good for reliability. Not that good with music, either.

The Yamahas are better with music. The Sony is a solid performer. Those would be my shortlist contenders.

Soldato
Av isn't about future proof, standards change. My old good but av pre is out of date, it still works but it doesn't have any eq, nor does it have HDMI, audio playback, web control, Bluetooth, networking, internet radio, or any HD audio from Blu-ray.

If you want future proof, buy a regular hifi stereo system. My stereo pre power is as relevant today as it was 15 years ago. And you can insert it into a modern av system.

Associate
Unless the 2600 has dropped down to 299 new, avoid.

Buy a used one from a previous generation. They're basically all the same anyway, bar some minor updates to warrant a new model every year (minus HEOS).

Associate
Current Denons have a reputation for running very hot. That's not so good for reliability. Not that good with music, either.

The Yamahas are better with music. The Sony is a solid performer. Those would be my shortlist contenders.

My 2400H used to run hot. I rigged a 120mm PC fan into the USB port and cool air flows across the top of the amp. This isn't an elegant solution but works for me (AVR is in a cupboard) but it keeps the amp cool.

I had 2 Yamaha AVR's previously - can't fault them and only replaced the later one due to 4K and Atmos and the one before that for HDMI. I'm not running major speakers so my investment is small compared to some (Mission MX3 fronts, Mission MXC2 centre, JBL Control1 surrounds, Monitor Audio Atmos in ceiling, BK P12-300SB with B8 OLED, ATV, XB 1 X).

Soldato
My Sony 1050 had hdmi board failure, luckily I got richer sounds supercare, nearly didn't as got the 1050 EOL for only £300.

Anyway got that money back and went to RS to audition in a completely different league of AVR.

Denon top of the line Vs Yamaha.

Denon to me had brittle treble with poor timbre in an Everest test scene. That's just my ears plenty of people happy with Denon. It arguably has better EQ too. The Yamaha is in a totally different league build wise to the Denon.

It is massive, heavy and does not cook your toast like a Denon does. Though it gets warm of course!

Soldato
My Sony 1050 had hdmi board failure, luckily I got richer sounds supercare, nearly didn't as got the 1050 EOL for only £300.

Anyway got that money back and went to RS to audition in a completely different league of AVR.

Denon top of the line Vs Yamaha.

Denon to me had brittle treble with poor timbre in an Everest test scene. That's just my ears plenty of people happy with Denon. It arguably has better EQ too. The Yamaha is in a totally different league build wise to the Denon.

It is massive, heavy and does not cook your toast like a Denon does. Though it gets warm of course!

How come didn't go pre power rather than flagship avr?

Soldato
No room for such a setup tbh. As it is i've done well for a UK lounge, floostander based 7.2.4 system with 113'' screen

something to think about in another house/time though

Soldato
The Yamaha av Amos have lousy power I was considering one, but the £2500 flagship model gave out 45w all channels driven. What a load of crap!

So bought ATI power amps instead 200w7.

Back
Top Bottom