Just gave blood again, do you?

Commissario
I haven't given blood before, but always thought that I should and the current crisis got me thinking about it more. So signed up last week - There are NO appointments to give blood at any local centre near me within the next four months. You can't even register to say "call me in case you get a no show" or something like that.
When I gave for the first time, I just turned up and asked if I could start. They said that they were fully booked but that they'd try and fit me in, which they managed to do. I think they always try and fit new donors in even without an appointment as if they turn them away, they may never come back.

Soldato
I'm booked in to donate on the 20/04/20 earliest appointment I can get currently. If you're in Scotland you can go to https://www.scotblood.co.uk/ to find more information including current stock levels.

Lots of people think they need not donate as they have a really common blood type (like myself O+), but being a common type also means it's also needed a great deal too. Get along if you are able. If you're still working at the moment (again like me), they often have appointments available outside of office hours so still worth looking in to.

Thanks to everyone who is going along to donate :)

Soldato
When I gave for the first time, I just turned up and asked if I could start. They said that they were fully booked but that they'd try and fit me in, which they managed to do. I think they always try and fit new donors in even without an appointment as if they turn them away, they may never come back.
Thanks - I will do the same. Never know, they might have no-shows.

Soldato
Gave about 3 weeks ago. My 18th donation but first in a long time.

Love the way they tell you what's happened to your donation now.

O- so already had lots of thank yous from them. Already booked the next appointment.

Man of Honour
The issue seems to be that they have had to radically reduce the number of beds to keep the distancing rules. My clinic seemed to have a bit less than half the usual number.

Soldato
On the Scottish Blood Transfusion Service Facebook page I've just seen them cancel their 4th session across Scotland iin the last 3 days.

Thanks to the overwhelming recent generosity of blood donors in Scotland,our blood stocks are currently exceptionally healthy,and we no longer need to hold a blood donation session

Some good news in these testing times. May not need to go on the 20th after all!

Man of Honour
Well that's unusual. But as I said, with far fewer vehicles (and thus crashes) and few less drinking (and thus fighting) and far less elective surgery then I guess the demand is down. But are you not still on platelets? Are they cancelled as well?

Associate
Managed to donate some of the red stuff today. First time in years and first time since returning to Scotland. It's a separate entity to NHSBT down south so I had to reregister online to get the ball rolling.

If they'll have me, I hope to go on to donate platelets too.

Soldato
Sadly I take too many meds for old people that they don't like my mixture. I do really appreciate those that can and do as I had a major operation some years ago now that used a lot of donated blood. Please keep up the good work.

Soldato
I enquired about it, but as I take an anticoagulant for a blood disorder, unfortunately I'm not able to give blood.

Does anyone know if donating plasma is different?

Man of Honour
Another thread necro, so I can show this off:

p2_blood750mail.jpg

I'm supposed to be getting an actual certificate at some point - that's just from the email. Now 5 years of whole blood plus 25 years of platelets.

Associate
Congrats :)

I'm on 10 now, though I'd of been probably more if I learnt what I did on my last donation "attempt". It was an attempt cause I registered 117 on iron and the min cap is 135 so was refused donation and banned for a year :(

I got talking about feeling guilty not donating so often being o neg, and this donation was to also include a test for platelet, but was told the nearest one was an hour away and could end up waiting up to two hours and they expect you to donate a lot more once you start - so I decided to avoid. I talked about being O neg and not donating enough so enquired about taking double the amount as I read America do it and it's called a power red. Unfortunately the NHS do not so that's why I thought about platelets.

The nurse then went on to tell me my bloods extra special because I've never had a virus called CMV and so I'm classed as neo rr, meaning my blood is used specifically for new borns and baby's who have no immune system. I feel quite proud of that even though it's fluke, my blood is used to help some of the most fragile beings who can only have my type of blood. There's no chance I'll stay CMV and around 80% of people usually have it by 34 (I'm 33 now) so time is running out for me to benefit that specific group.

I'm ot a tin hat person but I've considered what this may meanwith regards to covid, vaccines and if this will cause some risk to newborns and babies with low immune systems having the blood with the vaccine, like it does with CMV if you've ever had it; though that is contracting the virus and not a vaccine. I might be overthinking but I'm waiting on a call back from the blood team to discuss my query as I don't want to jeapodise my blood being so useful

Back
Top Bottom