Selling on GumTree

Associate
Hi,

I have put some items up for sale on Gumtree and have sold some, however I have had a few strange potential buyers e mailing me about my camera lenses I have for sale..

I am not sure if there is a scam going on or not !

One potential buyer wanted to 4 of my lens items at once and wanted me to send them a PayPal link, and was very instant I send a link and she will only pay via PayPal. She also stated she wanted the lens posted to a friend in the USA.

. However when asked for name and mobile number the e mails stopped !

The same has happened again with another buyer wanting to buy a camera lens me at asking price and very generous P&P value. What was strange as the buyer want me to send it to their nephew in Lagos, Nigeria.

When I mentioned that I wanted to send it to a UK address and asked for said address and mobile number the e mails stopped !

Is there a hack for getting the money back or is there some loop hole about sending goods out side the UK and PayPal. Would the buyer say they have not received the goods and claim a refund, what is the scam here ! ?

Many thanks

T

Soldato
& be very careful at that too. if someone turns up with 5-6 people what you gonna do? (has happened, not to me but saw on the news..)
Yeah I always make sure I have a good few people in the house. I usually use Facebook as you can usually get a decent gauge of someone by their profile. Look dodgy? Sorry it's already sold :D

Associate
Winds me up selling on Gumtree!

You put a price and someone will ask straight away, 'what's your lowest price?'....

Best one is, if you send it i'll pay once I've received the goods...

Cash on collection only, or p*** off!

Soldato
Winds me up selling on Gumtree!

You put a price and someone will ask straight away, 'what's your lowest price?'....

Best one is, if you send it i'll pay once I've received the goods...

Cash on collection only, or p*** off!
I've had people offer me an extra £250 to deliver a fish tank an hour away. When i asked for the money upfront they wouldn't pay it.

Cash on collection only, but there are scammers everywhere even Ebay.

Caporegime
& be very careful at that too. if someone turns up with 5-6 people what you gonna do? (has happened, not to me but saw on the news..)

sell them the goods for the agreed price. if they try anything funny i have 5 cctv cameras including a doorbell camera, a baseball bat and a black belt in 10 different martial arts.

i've never had to have people with me and i've done literally hundreds of sales on gumtree and thousands on ebay

Associate
OP
I have sold on Gumtree before and mostly it have been COD, only once was it bank transfer.

These last two buyers who want me to send the lenses aboard one to Nigeria and the other to USA. That straight away sets of alarm bells to me as these items should be cheaper there any way, especially the US !

What is the PayPal scam though, I mean if get payment then send the goods will the buyer just say they have not recieved the goods and ask a refund from PayPal ! ?
Or is it like mentioned above the buyers are using hacked paypal a/c's ! ?

Soldato
Emily Jones the scammer up to his old tricks. He haunts Gumtree. The old courier scam also.

If you go through with this you will be scammed. Simple.

Back
Top Bottom