Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
Just as a follow up, I reset the router and went back to normal modem mode, getting a far nicer 510-520mbps on the 350 package.
Something isn’t right there, are you sure you’re paying for 350?

I’m on gigabit through virgin and the last few days my download has been 800Mbps and 25Mbps upload.

Soldato

I’m on gigabit through virgin and the last few days my download has been 800Mbps and 25Mbps upload.
Yea, I was on 350 first year, then downgraded to 200 last year the got a deal for m350 this year.

Soldato
Renegotiated my contract today. I usually wind up playing the cancellation game, waiting for that call from retentions. But I really couldn't be bothered this time. I set my target as the best current "New Customer" price, and I got it. Going from £28.50/month to £27/month for 100Mb broadband. Will likely phone up again when this year's price rise comes in.

The truth is, where I live I'm not in the best bargaining position anyway. BT lines average 15Mbps. Am I really going to switch away? Hell no.

Man of Honour
Renegotiated my contract today. I usually wind up playing the cancellation game, waiting for that call from retentions. But I really couldn't be bothered this time. I set my target as the best current "New Customer" price, and I got it. Going from £28.50/month to £27/month for 100Mb broadband. Will likely phone up again when this year's price rise comes in.

The truth is, where I live I'm not in the best bargaining position anyway. BT lines average 15Mbps. Am I really going to switch away? Hell no.
Similar position to me although I messed up my last one and didn't get the discounts for 12 months only 3-6 months so they've gradually been removing and pricing going up. I think I'm 6 months in and paying £40 or so for 100Mb now, up from £29. I was going to upgrade to 200Mb to just get the price down as for new customers its less than what I'm paying for 100 but no chance of getting through to them atm (online upgrade doesn't give any options due to the existing discounts). I hope the price increases come soon so I can renegotiate but think its when my contracts up.

Soldato

Peaked at 710mbs there after setting up my new Unify AP LR for upstairs wifi. I wonder are they testing capabilities for gigabit rollouts over here in NI.

Soldato
Had virgin since November and whilst I knew the hub 3 was crap beforehand, I'd hoped they would fix their issues with setting restrictions on which devices can use the internet at certain times. I set this up and it worked well when I was with plusnet using their own router, but the hub 3 just forgets to do it after 1 day.

So, I need a new router to work alongside the hub 3 in modem mode and looking for recommendations from anyone that has bought one for this reason, how they found it etc. Reliability is more important than price.

Soldato
Ive only used fast so far.
I'm not sure fast.com are the most reliable, what about with speedtest.net?

This is what i get through speedtest.net:

9270938306.png

And this through fast.com:

JRwo17C.jpg

Soldato
I'm not sure fast.com are the most reliable, what about with speedtest.net?

This is what i get through speedtest.net:

9270938306.png

And this through fast.com:

JRwo17C.jpg
Dont get me wrong, theres now way they are unintentionally supplying well above and fast.com does seem very high. Ookla seems more grounded but up and down from 350 to 500.

Soldato
I’ve been struggling to get through to Virgin for days to cancel my broadband. They’ve said I need to give 30 days notice but after trying them daily for the last week, I just can’t get through

Any other options, as I’m now within 30 days, so likely to have to pay for another month :/

Associate
I've currently got a fault with my service as power levels have dropped below spec causing a stupid number of post RS errors and poor performance/repeated SH3 disconnections (sadly no attenuators fitted that can be removed).

Phoned up twice and cannot get past a new standard script where all faults are apparently "congestion due to covid-19" !

Posted on the VM forum after that but there appear to be many issues not getting dealt with.

Soldato
I use a TP-link which I've had for a while with the hub 1. It seems to work well.

The Virgin hubs are a load of crap, it's a shame we can't use our own routers on cable :(

Soldato
Of everything I've looked at thus far and without spending silly money TP-link seems a decent choice. Then it's trying to narrow it down to to one, but at the moment I think I'm going to go for the Archer AX50 as it has WiFi 6 so at least I'm buying current gen?

Back
Top Bottom