WOL (Wake-on-LAN) Help please?

Soldato
I want WOL so I can wake the gaming box downstairs to stream a Steam game to TV upstairs but I am at wits end trying to get it to work

Decent router (TP Link Archer C9 with April's DD-WRT on it)
DD-WRT WOL guide followed

Nothing when I try to wake from my mobile using the DD-WRT internal WOL tool (so not going outside network).

They say a picture paints a thousand words...

Here's all the settings I have changed :) Ideas??

Soldato
OP
It might be a driver issue for your Realtek NIC. Are there any newer/older version of the driver you can try?

Millions of versions (its just about the most common Network interface in the world). Are you actually aware of any driver issues?

Try this to make sure the WOL packets are arriving where you want them to

https://www.depicus.com/wake-on-lan/wake-on-lan-monitor

Will do. Worth a shot!

First things first is definitely to check the WOL packets are arriving at the gaming box - your router or firewall on the PC might be blocking?

My router is the one SENDING the WOL packets (see the original picture - router has built in WOL client). I find it hard to believe it would be blocking itself!?!? :D

Soldato
OP
BINGO.. we have a fix...

Use the original 2016 drivers Windows10 first installs (and prevent it updating to new ones which didnt work).

I also disabled the Green/Efficient/PowerSaving ethernet options (many people suggest that fixed for them) but haven't yet tested on/off for those.

EDIT: Only options needed are the 3 in the tab on Power Management (tick all 3) and the two in Advanced tab with Wake in title (no need to change the WOL & Shutdown Link speed one)

For BIOS, on my Mobo, go to Advanced, APM Config and:

ErP ready - Disabled
Power On by PCI-E - Enabled (of course it was)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom