Home brewing kits ....

Soldato
Cheers,
Instructions just say to add sugar or a co2 ball.
Previous kits have included sugar at this stage. Truthfully, this kit was too simple for my liking.

Think it's worthwhile to buy a Muslim cloth for straining? I always end up with some sediment in the bottle even with the double bin method.

Soldato
Cheers,
Instructions just say to add sugar or a co2 ball.
Previous kits have included sugar at this stage. Truthfully, this kit was too simple for my liking.

Think it's worthwhile to buy a Muslim cloth for straining? I always end up with some sediment in the bottle even with the double bin method.

I tend to add a simple syrup (dissolve the correct amount of sugar for the whole batch in a little water, wait to cool then add to the whole before bottling) as I find it's more even than measuring for each bottle and cheaper than the sweet things you put in.

Associate
Are you wanting to brew from syrup style kits, or were you wanting to brew all grain? Asuming kits as this is the kits thread, a basic plastic fermenting bin and bubbler air-lock is a good starting point, and will probably set you back around about £10-15ish. Were you wanting to bottle your beers, or were you wanting to put it in a keg to serve? A basic pressure barrel and tap is probably around £25ish, and is a great easy starting point. Bottling can make it much easier to put a couple of botles in the fridge as and when wanted, but can be a little bit more fiddley. You will probably want some sort of tubing to syphon the beer from your fermenting bin into bottles or a keg. A paddle to airate the wort to help the yeast get to a good start is probably a good idea too.
Sanitiser. Lots and lots of sanitiser. We used VWP and StarSan, but I think StarSan is currently harder to get in Europe (if Cornwall hasn't gone independant yet), but other similar things seem to be sold in the usual suppliers too. If you're doing lots of kits, a second (supermarket value) kettle might come in handy, as plenty of hot or boiled water is usually pretty handy to have around.
Other sundry bits of gear would be things like a small tub of petroleum jelly for sealing screw threads and o-rings. A hydrometer for checking fermentation has finished. If you are putting your beer in a pressure barrel, some allow you to increase the pressure in the barrel using a CO2 charger, like a soda-stream.
A bottle of supermarket thin bleach (diluted with hot water) can help to clean all kit for it's next use. Campden tablets to remove chlorine and chlorine related chemicales from tap water might not hurt too.

On the other hand if you are wanting to go all grain, then get yourself down to St Austell for their tour and let them know you're an all grain home brewer. Take a couple of new clean thermos flasks and they will usually be happy to fill them with their own yeast for you.
We did that on holliday, brough the yeast home and made a lovely smoked tea and orange pale ale using it (inspired/blatently stolen the idea from Theakstons "Rivers Answer", that they don't even seem to say ever existed any longer).

But mainly just have fun.

This thread used to be much more lively, but I still think people will be very happy to answer any questions you have.

Soldato
Well it's bottled and now conditioning. I followed Wilko's IPA instructions so expecting nothing too exciting from the flavour.

Town is closed though VeNT

Soldato
Home brew sites have gone mental, my normal one has stopped orders but I managed to pick up a kit on Amazon to run after the current 7 day one. I really like the 7 day wine kits, they knock out a decent bottle of wine although it really takes 10-14 days. Back to a normal one after this, should have time to brew it before the 30 bottles run out :D

Soldato
Just had a bottle lid pop off two days after bottling. Now moved to a cool dark place. I did drink the one which popped open... Tastes....ok. I know it's too early to gain much info though.

Edit: definite hint of sulphur - hoping that goes away during conditioning...

Last edited:
Associate
Just had a bottle lid pop off two days after bottling. Now moved to a cool dark place. I did drink the one which popped open... Tastes....ok. I know it's too early to gain much info though.

Edit: definite hint of sulphur - hoping that goes away during conditioning...

Maybe bottled too early - best way to be sure is to check you've got to the final gravity using a hydrometer, otherwise the brew will keep fermenting in the bottle and pop the lids.

Soldato
I'm already planning my next batch. Thinking of another Wilko £12 job and adding vanilla essence perhaps. When would be a good time to add subtle extras such as this?

Associate
Has anybody got any suggestions on how to control temperature without a fermentation fridge?

Obtain large plastic box (think those big storage boxes) & fish tank heater. Place fermentation vessel inside box. Fill box with water. Place fish tank heater in water. Set temperature. Not sure how accurate this is but its the best solution I've been able to come up with for relatively little outlay.

Soldato
HELP!!

Did my first homebrew yesterday (Amber Ale) and I think it's going wrong already. It is in my kitchen which is about 18c in the dark and I think maybe that's too hot.
My airlock is going mental with the amount of co2 being produced.
https://streamable.com/ycb4yx
It's been going nuts all day. I'm wondering if I out it out in the shed to slow it down a bit, but I'm worried that outside getting down to 6c is too low.

What do I do?

Edit..... I have been assured by some people on reddit that this is fairly normal.

Last edited:
Soldato
HELP!!

Did my first homebrew yesterday (Amber Ale) and I think it's going wrong already. It is in my kitchen which is about 18c in the dark and I think maybe that's too hot.
My airlock is going mental with the amount of co2 being produced.
https://streamable.com/ycb4yx
It's been going nuts all day. I'm wondering if I out it out in the shed to slow it down a bit, but I'm worried that outside getting down to 6c is too low.

What do I do?

Edit..... I have been assured by some people on reddit that this is fairly normal.

:p Rapid bubbling is a good thing, it should calm down in a few days. If the krausen gets too high and you have a bit of tubing then make a blow off tube. 18-20c is perfect if you can hold it there.

Back
Top Bottom