Chunk out of Tyre Sidewall Missing, is it safe?

Associate
Not a MOT failure (No cords exposed) I've seen plenty of them, just advise. Will be ok, just watch how you park in future.

Soldato
There is no way I would want to drive on that tyre at high speeds.
The problem is that crack near the middle of the "P" ... you have no idea how deep that is, and a sidewall blowout at speed could ruin your day and that of the car next to you,

Likewise, that divot goes deeper than the rim protector part of the tyre.

Associate
Basically the bottom line is there are no wrong answers here.
Chances are that this tyre will probably still last the test of time but if you don't want to take any chances get it replaced asap, end of! (unless you're skint).
This will end all worries of potential risk.
I'd be more inclined to be worried about how much filler is in the lip of that rim which has been clearly repaired and repainted.
I come across these all the time working in a body shop (30 years).
Hope this helps.

Associate
OP
Basically the bottom line is there are no wrong answers here.
Chances are that this tyre will probably still last the test of time but if you don't want to take any chances get it replaced asap, end of! (unless you're skint).
This will end all worries of potential risk.
I'd be more inclined to be worried about how much filler is in the lip of that rim which has been clearly repaired and repainted.
I come across these all the time working in a body shop (30 years).
Hope this helps.

Hi, thanks for the info. Curious how you can tell the lip has filler in?

Soldato
Thanks all for input, good to know it is safe. I will how ever reach out to my friendly contact at the dealer to see if anything can be done.
Are you willing to risk you're life it's safe because some internet people say so? If that was mine, I'd be replacing the tyre. Life or death, your choice my friend, just like people putting cheap crappy tyres on their cars to save money!

Soldato
Are you willing to risk you're life it's safe because some internet people say so? If that was mine, I'd be replacing the tyre. Life or death, your choice my friend, just like people putting cheap crappy tyres on their cars to save money!

There's a difference between an educated assessment of damage versus blind scaremongering. If you'd replace a tyre for that, that's your lookout, but you'd be wasting money getting rid of a completely serviceable tyre. The OP's photo very much showed damage to the rim protector, likely to be at low speed as the alloy was pretty much completely intact.

Because the OP has likely made his decision on whether or not it should be replaced or not after the initial comments about 10 months ago when he posted this thread.

Back
Top Bottom