Starter for Ten

Associate
Hello everyone...

Hoping I can get some of your recommendations, guidance and experience on a few matters over the coming weeks.
I will be looking at moving from a console game platform to pc based ( I have already read a good few threads on this which will be getting more involved in soon)
However, first things first....Internet connectivity, bandwidth and control...

The problem I have is that I live with bandwidth hungry teenagers and I don't have the option to limit bandwidth on each device or to disconnect individual devices when I want to. Limiting would be the better option as my headache would just increase if I disconnected them completely.

I am on BT smart hub and although I have opened various ports for games and have a wired connection, I am finding that the latency/ping are horrendous when the kids are on, which is pretty much all the time.

So I am looking at getting a new router with software that allows me to limit bandwidth on each device. I have read that QoS is not that good and can make no difference. Also would like it to be vpn friendly.
I have read various articles/reviews on numerous routers but want actual info from guys who have dealt with this.
Ive got £2200 to throw at a complete pc/internet set up... The more I save on a router or alternative option the more I have for pc... ( I have only specified a router as that is all I really know about , however I have heard of magical things such as pfsense)

I have got no problems flashing firmware, or opening stuff up.. The PC I built in 2004 is still going very strong so I don't mind delving into settings or hardware.( This in no way means I know what I am doing :) )

Any advice greatly appreciated

Soldato
One approach that I use is to add Ubiquiti access points (can use with your existing router) and create 2 SSIDs on them. Have one of them given limited bandwidth and tell your kids that SSID. You then use wired or the unlimited bandwidth SSID. You achieve what you want and probably get better WiFi coverage as a bonus if you put the access point somewhere central.

Associate
OP
Thanks for reply... Ive just looked into that and it seems a viable option. However if i am building a gaming pc , would i need to replace the router i have anyway and be as well spending on a router that does it all for me.. ?

Soldato
Other than bandwidth limiting not being an option, does your router cause you any other problems? If not you don't need to replace it. Most people's problems with routers tend to be with Wifi, something a well placed access point can fix. Other than that most routers can route just fine. Unless you want advanced firewall features, network wide VPN, a VPN server on the router or more granular rules about device control then there's no need to replace it in most situations.

Soldato
I picked up a cheap dir 880l about 60 quid
Flashed dd~wrt on it and set up a guest network for the kids
And told them like it or lump it until you pay for the Internet :D
Yeah a bit dictatorial I know but unless you have massive bandwidth they're going to slow you down
I also set couple hours a day they couldn't access it so they could actually interact with the real world for a bit lol
They didn't whinge for long they know when I say no it really means no lol

Soldato
The problem I have is that I live with bandwidth hungry teenagers and I don't have the option to limit bandwidth on each device or to disconnect individual devices when I want to. Limiting would be the better option as my headache would just increase if I disconnected them completely.

Get a router that supports VLANs and multiple wireless networks and QoS. Set up four wireless networks - one for you, one for the kids, one for guests, and one for IoT devices. Then set up four wired VLANs - one for you, one for the kids, one for guests, and one for IoT devices. Link each wireless network to the appropriate VLAN. Restrict bandwidths accordingly.

And make sure you password protect the router!

Soldato
I've obviously missed something where using all the bandwidth makes the ping/latency high on a connection. That's not normal in my experience. How are you determining ping/latency and is there a difference between the outgoing and incoming ping timings (my understanding is that outgoing ping time + incoming ping time = latency time).

Are you testing from a client on a wired or wireless connection?

Associate
OP
Hi, I only put ping/latency as a this or this depending how people want to talk about it, but yes latency being the round trip so to speak..
I should have said that my gaming lags like crazy. Pretty much my kids use FaceTime ( all the time ) even whilst streaming a film with xbox on in the background ( If they were my own kids, I could sort it out easier...lol) They are only on the 2.4 wifi and I am the only one hard wired.
Also noticed that my dl and ul fluctuate between 56/7 to 26/3 ( ps4 test ) I have also tried a few different DNS but nothing really improves it.

I could just wait up until 1am and play then, but my other half would soon stop cooking my dinner , washing my clothes and cleaning the house..( And I can't have that )

Not that this will be any way a true indication but playing maw I am used to getting 20-30ms ping and the gaming is all good, but lately and more noticeably I am lucky to get below 52ms and I've noticed that where as before it would search for games under 45ms.... it now looks for games under 200ms. Finding that the game jumps between movements rather than smooth flowing play.

Soldato
If you’re prepared for the steep learning curve I can heartily recommend Mikrotik’s routers. I particularly like the hAP AC and the rather charmingly titled RB4011iGS+5HacQ2HnD-IN which is an awful lot of router for the money. They have really good QoS controls (down to individual device level) but they’re plagued by ‘Latvian Logic’ where they give you every option under the sun and then don’t label them up properly.

I’ve done ALL the Mikrotik training courses (About 25 days of training) and even then you only look at the headline options.

Soldato
Are you sure your kids aren't torrenting or using some sort of P2P streaming? That'll saturate your upload and a saturated upload is a sure fire way to send your latency through the roof.

Associate
OP
I dont know what the hell the kids are doing, new apps seem to appear all the time with varying protocols, and trying to get access to their stuff is a krypton factor challenge in itself...as i said...if they were my own....

As much as i would like the challenge of Latvian ingenuity, i would rather something a lot less mind blowing and frustrating especially as i dont want to do courses just to stop kids messing up my kd ratio..lol

Soldato
Edgemax Router user here, the smart queues work great on it. I can have something downloading full speed and not effecting pings. Wasnt dear either, about £60 from memory.

Associate
OP
A quick question... all these gaming routers that you see ranging from £100 to £500 from Netgear, TP, Asus and others....What are the actual benefits of those?... only asking as no one has actually mentioned any of them at all.... Is it all marketing Hype for the unsuspecting naive non overclocker??

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Just a word of advice. I was asked by the BIL to do similar to their router one day for the two kids to limit their use (no internet after certain time on school nights etc). I caught up with him a week later and he said the boys just factory reset - lol. I did tell him to move it into the loft out of the way but people dont listen..

Associate
OP
Funnily enough I have already opened up and removed the option for factory reset on the smart hub as you can do it through the software... old guitar picks are awesome..lol

Soldato
A quick question... all these gaming routers that you see ranging from £100 to £500 from Netgear, TP, Asus and others....What are the actual benefits of those?... only asking as no one has actually mentioned any of them at all.... Is it all marketing Hype for the unsuspecting naive non overclocker??

Effectively, yes.

Back
Top Bottom