need advice for £3000 rig

Associate
Hi

New here looking for advice from someone regarding a new build

I'll be used for battlefield type gaming/streaming/audio production

my budget is £3000 for everything would like it to be somewhat future proof

i was looking at a i9900 & 2080ti using a acer x34p size monitor? is this overkill?

i have no idea about overclocking/bios etc

pre built with warranty would be awesome

Regards

Last edited:
Soldato
Streaming, audio, (more) "futureproof"... Ryzen 3900X 12-core better.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £2,189.56 (includes shipping: £14.70)

Build fee about £100 - inquire in Customer Service Pre-Sales forum for a quote. When OcUK builds a system for you, it comes with three year warranty.

And then I see the Acer X34P in stock for £700 elsewhere. OcUK also lists it at £700 (out of stock) if you want to ask when it's available again. Usually for fast-paced fps games people use either 2560x1440 (semi-competitive, more real estate + visual enjoyment) or 1920x1080 (very competitive). But there's nothing stopping you from Ultrawide 3440x1440 if you prefer. Just could save £300 there and get a 2560x1440 165Hz screen.

CPU cooler is extremely quiet.

2080 Super more value for money than 2080Ti, is a good choice for 3440x1440 120Hz, especially with new Nvidia cards this year (latest estimate September). The Zotacs have the best warranties - 5 years if you register. You could also go with a 2070 Super for now, £200 cheaper.

The prices for 1TB and 2TB NVMEs are ridiculous just now, so specced a 500GB NVME + 2TB SATA SSD combo. Windows and programs on NVME, games and files etc on SATA SSD. Since you do audio work, if you can avoid noisy mechanical disks all the better. But you can always add some later on if need be.

You don't need an X570 motherboard for futureproofing other than for PCIe 4.0 (which will be old news in a couple years anyway with PCIe 5.0 or 6.0). You could always get a B450 Pro Carbon for £80 less. You could also get a cheaper 8-core Ryzen 3700X which would probably be fine for all your needs, and if you ever needed something more beefy then slap in a Ryzen 4000 series 12-core when they come out later this year. However, if you don't like tinkering in your case, then best to just get the 3900X now.

You don't need to spend £130 on a case either, it's just a good case and made up the rest of the budget. Most of the front panel is detachable for airflow, or can remain on for more silence.

Is there any other stuff you need included in the 3K budget, like keyboard+mouse, headset? Wifi needed?

Cheaper spec to compare:

Total: £1,717.44 (includes shipping: £12.60)

+ Build fee - about £100
+ Pixio PX7P 27" 2560x1440 165HZ IPS monitor - £400

Last edited:
Soldato
If not wanting to change CPU (or whole platform in case of Cash Cow Race Intel) 12 core/24 thread 3900X is only future proof one.
Next-gen games will be made for 8 core/16 thread CPUs, because that's what next-gen consoles will have.
With 12 cores games will have all cores they want without interference from background stuff.

In graphics cards there's again no real future proofing with Nvidia charging lots of empty air compared to performance.
Next Xbox will come with 2080 Super level GPU.
So all expensive cards are certain to look fast bad for their prices.

2560x1440 is the best for good framerates in games without cutting down settings much.
LG 27GL850 would be one of the best for gaming with image quality of IPS and very fast response times, if you have normally lighted room.
For darkened room VA panels beat IPS with their superior contrast/black.

And forget G-Sync, unless you like the idea of paying Nvidia to lock ball and chain into your ankle, so that you get to pay NVidia's overprices also in future.
Also Intel is joining discrete graphics card game and if they really want they have the bank account size to become major player inside few years.

Unless you have there proper surround sound home theater set also that should be upgrade to proper level with such overall budget.
Though it really doesn't cost much.
Good headphones and sound card cost only like £250 and unlike super expensive graphics card, will hold their value for many many years.

Associate
OP
Streaming, audio, (more) "futureproof"... Ryzen 3900X 12-core better.

Total: £2,189.56 (includes shipping: £14.70)

Build fee about £100 - inquire in Customer Service Pre-Sales forum for a quote. When OcUK builds a system for you, it comes with three year warranty.

And then I see the Acer X34P in stock for £700 elsewhere. OcUK also lists it at £700 (out of stock) if you want to ask when it's available again. Usually for fast-paced fps games people use either 2560x1440 (semi-competitive, more real estate + visual enjoyment) or 1920x1080 (very competitive). But there's nothing stopping you from Ultrawide 3440x1440 if you prefer. Just could save £300 there and get a 2560x1440 165Hz screen.

CPU cooler is extremely quiet.

2080 Super more value for money than 2080Ti, is a good choice for 3440x1440 120Hz, especially with new Nvidia cards this year (latest estimate September). The Zotacs have the best warranties - 5 years if you register. You could also go with a 2070 Super for now, £200 cheaper.

The prices for 1TB and 2TB NVMEs are ridiculous just now, so specced a 500GB NVME + 2TB SATA SSD combo. Windows and programs on NVME, games and files etc on SATA SSD. Since you do audio work, if you can avoid noisy mechanical disks all the better. But you can always add some later on if need be.

You don't need an X570 motherboard for futureproofing other than for PCIe 4.0 (which will be old news in a couple years anyway with PCIe 5.0 or 6.0). You could always get a B450 Pro Carbon for £80 less. You could also get a cheaper 8-core Ryzen 3700X which would probably be fine for all your needs, and if you ever needed something more beefy then slap in a Ryzen 4000 series 12-core when they come out later this year. However, if you don't like tinkering in your case, then best to just get the 3900X now.

You don't need to spend £130 on a case either, it's just a good case and made up the rest of the budget. Most of the front panel is detachable for airflow, or can remain on for more silence.

Is there any other stuff you need included in the 3K budget, like keyboard+mouse, headset? Wifi needed?

Cheaper spec to compare:

Total: £1,717.44 (includes shipping: £12.60)

+ Build fee - about £100
+ Pixio PX7P 27" 2560x1440 165HZ IPS monitor - £400

Thanks for the help, Which white case would you recommend?

yes i'll need everything, currently only have mobile data from my phone, guessing it'll need a wired connection for faster speeds.

would i be able to upgrade this system in the future e.g graphics card / ram etc?

also is system able to game & stream / green screen etc at the same time with ease?

Kind Regards

land

Associate
OP
If not wanting to change CPU (or whole platform in case of Cash Cow Race Intel) 12 core/24 thread 3900X is only future proof one.
Next-gen games will be made for 8 core/16 thread CPUs, because that's what next-gen consoles will have.
With 12 cores games will have all cores they want without interference from background stuff.

In graphics cards there's again no real future proofing with Nvidia charging lots of empty air compared to performance.
Next Xbox will come with 2080 Super level GPU.
So all expensive cards are certain to look fast bad for their prices.

2560x1440 is the best for good framerates in games without cutting down settings much.
LG 27GL850 would be one of the best for gaming with image quality of IPS and very fast response times, if you have normally lighted room.
For darkened room VA panels beat IPS with their superior contrast/black.

And forget G-Sync, unless you like the idea of paying Nvidia to lock ball and chain into your ankle, so that you get to pay NVidia's overprices also in future.
Also Intel is joining discrete graphics card game and if they really want they have the bank account size to become major player inside few years.

Unless you have there proper surround sound home theater set also that should be upgrade to proper level with such overall budget.
Though it really doesn't cost much.
Good headphones and sound card cost only like £250 and unlike super expensive graphics card, will hold their value for many many years.

Just looking for the easiest path as i'm useless at anything more than switching the laptop on at the minute lol

regarding the monitor i'd prefer a 34" if its going to cause problems then smaller screen would suffice

thanks again

Last edited:
Soldato
Are you able to build your own ? It isn't as difficult as you might think and you still get warranty on the individual parts. If you go pre-built then you might have a longer wait as a lot of stuff is out of stock. The MSI B450 boards for example show none in stock for the entire range. A lot of X570 are also out of stock, same goes for a lot of pc cases.

Maybe watch a few build videos on Youtube just to give you an idea. You have the usual channels like Bitwit, Jayz2cents, Pauls Hardware etc or just search for pc build guides.

If you still don't fancy it after that then the builds posted by Danny are both good. You can also stick a 3900X in the MSI B450 board if you want the extra cpu cores. There is still Ryzen 4000 to come hopefully later this year. I doubt you will need more than a 12 core anytime soon though. As for gpu upgrades a new one will just slot right in.

With an Nvidia gpu you can use Nvenc to encode. That takes the load off the cpu and onto the gpu, so you could go with a 3700X if you wanted to save a bit of cash. You would be fine gaming/streaming with the 8 core.

Associate
OP
Are you able to build your own ? It isn't as difficult as you might think and you still get warranty on the individual parts. If you go pre-built then you might have a longer wait as a lot of stuff is out of stock. The MSI B450 boards for example show none in stock for the entire range. A lot of X570 are also out of stock, same goes for a lot of pc cases.

Maybe watch a few build videos on Youtube just to give you an idea. You have the usual channels like Bitwit, Jayz2cents, Pauls Hardware etc or just search for pc build guides.

If you still don't fancy it after that then the builds posted by Danny are both good. You can also stick a 3900X in the MSI B450 board if you want the extra cpu cores. There is still Ryzen 4000 to come hopefully later this year. I doubt you will need more than a 12 core anytime soon though. As for gpu upgrades a new one will just slot right in.

With an Nvidia gpu you can use Nvenc to encode. That takes the load off the cpu and onto the gpu, so you could go with a 3700X if you wanted to save a bit of cash. You would be fine gaming/streaming with the 8 core.

No i'd prefer pre-built, everything ive read has made me decide the i9900ks & evga 2080ti its the rest of the components i'm unsure of

the ryzen do look good on paper but the software driving them gives me the creeps lol

If ive got to put the budget up another £1000 to £4000 then that's ok

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom