• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Associate
Tried some other things just in case. Updated bios (apparently wasn't on the most recent) and forced PCI to gen 3. Played a game for a while with no problem, but then just blackscreened on the desktop again, however this time it actually recovered. Checked the event viewer, and found a couple of 'Error 4101: Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered.'

I have my old i7 rig I could test it in, though testing with that would be a pain because I don't have the stock intel heatsink, just the noctua that I'm using in my new rig. Might have to resort to that though, good thinking.

You're basically having the same issues I've been having with my V64 on and off for months.

Watching Twitch, Youtube etc on one screen while doing something on the main screen, could be gaming, could be browsing web sites or messages in Discord, or nothing at all.
And it'll randomly have an issue, sometimes it's fine for days at a time, some days I can get multiple issues.

Similar to what you've described there are various 'levels' to it but I think they are all the same thing just various levels of how well the drivers and the o/s deal with it.

Black screen followed by recovery, driver crashes/resets. Best case, rarest one.
Blue screen with the TDR (116) issue. Mem dump/Reboots.
Black screen, appears to be locked up but checking the HDD light on the case it is blinking. Leave it and it eventually reboots and TDR issue in the event logs. So basically it is blue screening and writing a dump successfully but no display.
Black screen, rare times it can be grey, green, what ever. Total lock up, no HDD activity, leave for a while no reboot, manually have to trip the power.

V64 under an EKWB modular water cooler.
i7 3770K , 16GB mem.
Win10 Pro , always updated to the latest.
Various AMD drivers.
Screen 1: DP 1440p@144Hz freesync
Screen 2: DP 1080p@120Hz
Screen 3: HDMI 1080p@60Hz to a Yamaha a/v amp using Dolby Atmos, and then hooked through to a Samsung TV 2160p@60Hz for the odd bit of couch gaming.

Not always had these issues and the same set up was basically fine with an old AMD Fury in it.
But at some point either the drivers and/or Windows changed and these issues have come and gone and definitely seem worse on the latest AMD drivers.

TBH I think a lot of the issues are still down to when non-gaming desktop apps use h/w acceleration at the same time and you flip between them, changing their load but also it just not coping well with multi displays at different res/refresh.

Soldato
TBH I think a lot of the issues are still down to when non-gaming desktop apps use h/w acceleration at the same time and you flip between them, changing their load but also it just not coping well with multi displays at different res/refresh.
I currently get an occasional freeze and then recover to desktop whenever I have a browser in the background when gaming. It's fine without one. I think it was a reported or fixed issue on the Navi's a driver or two ago?

Associate
I currently get an occasional freeze and then recover to desktop whenever I have a browser in the background when gaming. It's fine without one. I think it was a reported or fixed issue on the Navi's a driver or two ago?

Yeah, I seem to remember it being in the notes at one point. Iirc for a while it was a known issue with the advice to disable h/w acceleration and that seemed to help for a while but now that seems to make little difference for me.
Issue is odd though as it comes and goes, though there are certain things that can seem to trigger it more often.
There is something fundamentally up with either the drivers or Windows imo, the problem is that things like Firefox get updated all the time, as does Windows, as does the drivers, as do games.
So I can see why this has been such a pita for AMD, or anyone else to get to the bottom off and fix once and for all.

I'm wondering if the Win10 update that's going to bring the new WDDM update is going to force a rewrite of things and possibly help, or just complicate things even more and make it worse?

Associate
I use Sledgehammer to handle what windows updates I want to install! Also i'm still on 2019 drivers with my V56, It's performing great, If it aint broke....

Last edited:
Soldato
You're basically having the same issues I've been having with my V64 on and off for months.

Watching Twitch, Youtube etc on one screen while doing something on the main screen, could be gaming, could be browsing web sites or messages in Discord, or nothing at all.
And it'll randomly have an issue, sometimes it's fine for days at a time, some days I can get multiple issues.

Similar to what you've described there are various 'levels' to it but I think they are all the same thing just various levels of how well the drivers and the o/s deal with it.

Black screen followed by recovery, driver crashes/resets. Best case, rarest one.
Black screen, appears to be locked up but checking the HDD light on the case it is blinking. Leave it and it eventually reboots and TDR issue in the event logs. So basically it is blue screening and writing a dump successfully but no display.
Black screen, rare times it can be grey, green, what ever. Total lock up, no HDD activity, leave for a while no reboot, manually have to trip the power.

i7 3770K , 16GB mem.
Various AMD drivers.
Screen 3: HDMI 1080p@60Hz to a Yamaha a/v amp using Dolby Atmos, and then hooked through to a Samsung TV 2160p@60Hz for the odd bit of couch gaming.

Not always had these issues and the same set up was basically fine with an old AMD Fury in it.
But at some point either the drivers and/or Windows changed and these issues have come and gone and definitely seem worse on the latest AMD drivers.

My browser has h/w accel enabled and so does discord. That said my Windows install is very minimal, its basicly just steam/uplay/battle.net with games, PyCharm and Visual Studio. I don't have any 3rd party programs for peripherals installed or anything else. I have a boring desktop with solid color and nothing fancy or exciting installed to "liven" things up. However I do think there is some part of the AMD driver that just trips over certain combinations of hardware/windows installs/windows update/3rd party hardware accessing tools and I fully understand the frustration this leads to. It should be dealt with and fixed yet I wouldn't want to be the guy on the task for this job. What a nightmare it must be to figure out why this happens, specially when some folks are running all sort of junk on their pcs and windows itself isn't entirely stable itself.

I use Sledgehammer to handle what windows updates I want to install!
Cheers for that. Didn't know about that script.

Associate
I've had a handful of crashes over the past few weeks, running drivers 20.2.2.

None of them have been during gaming, all of them have been with chrome open on my main monitor and discord open on my second monitor.
The crash is basically a brief white screen on both displays followed by a reboot a few seconds later.

My main display is 1440p@144hz freesync connected by DP, and my second monitor is 1080p@60Hz connected by HDMI.

I've tried disabling hardware acceleration in discord and chrome, I've not had a crash in about 4 days but it's still probably too early to tell.

Associate
This/these are the EXACT issues I have been having - I tried everything I could, different drivers, different PCI-E slots, different bios settings/voltages/RAM timings, some BSOD's eluded to network, so I tried different firmware on network adapters, different network drivers. I even spent big on a brand new PSU, as the voltages looked towards the bottom of the acceptable tolerances.... No joy on anything.

So in the end I did a fresh install of Windows 10 1909 and installed AMD drivers 20.2.2.

It has been 2 weeks since, and touch wood, it has been crash free.

I wonder if somehow something software/driver related had gimped my windows installation and display driver uninstaller couldn't clean it up?

i7 3770K , 16GB mem.
Various AMD drivers.

Associate
This/these are the EXACT issues I have been having - I tried everything I could, different drivers, different PCI-E slots, different bios settings/voltages/RAM timings, some BSOD's eluded to network, so I tried different firmware on network adapters, different network drivers. I even spent big on a brand new PSU, as the voltages looked towards the bottom of the acceptable tolerances.... No joy on anything.

So in the end I did a fresh install of Windows 10 1909 and installed AMD drivers 20.2.2.

I wonder if somehow something software/driver related had gimped my windows installation and display driver uninstaller couldn't clean it up?

hmmm, might give a fresh install a go. been a while.
Just a pita and a lot of work if it doesn't fix it.

Soldato

Seems to me this could be the case. Fresh install and even the latest drivers 20.4.1 works like a charm on my windows 1903 install.Yesterday i had 4 twitch streams open trying to get a drop while gaming the new M&B 2 Bannerlord and not a single issue spite pushing the PC to its limits with some 500+vs 500+ battles.

Soldato
Having issues also...

Sapphire Vega 64 running at stock (Asus CH7, 2700X) - only really playing Destiny 2 these days so I can't say this will happen with all games, but I will occasionally get a straight crash to desktop, or a hard lock (screen freezes and I need to press the reset button). It seems to happen more when Firefox is open in the background, but can't say for sure. I don't have many other programs in the background (NOD32, Dropbox, SpiderOak, and Logitech software - that should be it in the system tray!).

Have used DDU and am on the latest 20.4.1. Only other thing I can think of (short of Windows reninstall) is to update my mobo BIOS, as it's still on a version from late 2018 I think!

Not really much helpful in this post, but I suppose it's another data point :)

Su

Last edited:
Associate
Very chuffed with today's efforts. Re-did my GPU waterblock, as my original attempt was prone to overheating. Ragged it with Heaven at maximum everything- which previously gave a Hotspot temp of 107c and caused throttling- and Hotspot topped out at 79! :D :D

I am somewhat happy about this. Also sorted my loop out with a D5 pump to replace the X4 I was using, with roughly double the flow rate. Did the cable management while I was at it. I'll put some pics up as soon as I figure out how- it's been a while...

Soldato
Late to the party, but have just done my first pc upgrade for about 15 years :D

My bro gave me a hand-me-down i5-3570k at 4.3ghz, 16gb 1600 ram, and I’ve managed to get an Asus Strix Vega64 for a bargain price!

can I be belatedly added to the RoH?

4-FA0-EBE5-3-C95-4465-AE08-95-CD1-D6-C990-E.jpg

All running ok so far on Win10 1909 with Adrenalin 20.4.1.

Done some undervolting to 1050 mv, seems to run cooler and ok with Doom Eternal, the 3DMark benchmarks and The Witcher 3. Not tried any overclocking, happy with stock settings.

I need to get a decent monitor now (currently using three old dell 1600x1200 60hz ones from last decade) and probably a new cpu/mobo/ram update in a month or so. PSU and case are new.

Last edited:
Associate

My bro gave me a hand-me-down i5-3570k at 4.3ghz, 16gb 1600 ram, and I’ve managed to get an Asus Strix Vega64 for a bargain price!

Done some undervolting to 1050 mv, seems to run cooler and ok with Doom Eternal, the 3DMark benchmarks and The Witcher 3. Not tried any overclocking, happy with stock settings.

I need to get a decent monitor now (currently using three old dell 1600x1200 60hz ones from last decade) and probably a new cpu/mobo/ram update in a month or so. PSU and case are new.

Nice !

I run a V64 with a 3770k at 4.4 with 16GB ram and a 1440p 144Hz monitor and it does great for me.

And imo leaving the stock clocks and undervolting like you have is probably the best way tbh, you can drop the power usage and temps a lot that way , where as going the other way you get diminishing returns on performance for too much heat and power draw.
Though I would suggest looking at bumping up the mem clock a bit and see if that helps on performance. 1050Mhz should be easily doable as a start.

Either way, enjoy the new set up. :)

Soldato
Yeah, I think 1440p is the way I’m going to go. Max screen size I can get on the desk will be 24”

So trying to choose between:

AOC AG241QX
24” 1440p 144hz TN freesync

and

Acer Nitro VG240YUbmiipx
24” 1440p 75hz IPS freesync

I’m not massively into gaming but I do fancy a nice IPS panel for photo editing, so erring on the side of the Acer. It’s also about £100 cheaper

Soldato

can I be belatedly added to the RoH?

All running ok so far on Win10 1909 with Adrenalin 20.4.1.

Just be aware of the VRMs on that card, asus did a botched job on the cooler job with that model from reading around. Otherwise if everything is fine and dandy, big congrats :) I hope it will serve you well.

Associate
I've got 1725MHz fully stable @ 1200mv - 1150VRAM Memory @ 1100mv on a Sapphire Nitro64 with a +50 Limit. Pulls around 310Watts :D Will try a little under-volting to get the Watts under control.

I think I picked a good card in the Sapphire, I saw a lot of vids and the Strix wouldn't even boost past a the reference card.

Caporegime
Seems like i figured out why my Vega was crashing, when i put on the new VRM pad i accidentally left the plastic on the side contacting the vrm's :o

Taken off now and seems to be running much better, can't believe i done that. :o:o

Back
Top Bottom