Why can't I tax a car online?

Soldato
Hi all,

Got an odd one. My wife has never been able to tax her car online. It's not anything out of the ordinary - just a 2014 Peugeot 2008 HDi.

When we try to tax it online, we get the message.

Unable to use service

'Unfortunately, because of the tax class of the vehicle or recent changes to the vehicle record, you are currently unable to apply for vehicle tax or make SORN using this service.'

We've owned the car since 2017, no changes to the registered keeper. It's MOT'd (January) and insured.

I've taxed both my cars online without issue.

Soldato
I had an issue taxing my current car inline, as the previous owner was disabled (seriously, I think they didn't have to pay tax) and the online system would let me pay (which is stupid as I had to borrow another car to get to the post office, although it sorted itself out when I first taxed it).

Soldato
Could be a server down at their end. I'd guess the message is because there is no link between the site and their database, so it can't find the car details. But just a guess :D

Soldato
I had an issue taxing my current car inline, as the previous owner was disabled (seriously, I think they didn't have to pay tax) and the online system would let me pay (which is stupid as I had to borrow another car to get to the post office, although it sorted itself out when I first taxed it).

This happened to me also, couldn't do it online, had to visit a post office.

Soldato
I had a similar thing years ago - the previous owner was disabled and the supplying dealer needed to go to a local DVLA office to get the tax class changed before he could tax it in the normal way and sell it to me (I'm not disabled). This was way back in 2008.

Soldato
It worked yesterday for me when i taxed mine.

Try using the reference number on your logbook rather than your reminder letter, see if that makes any difference?

Man of Honour
Gonna make the assumption that previously it was taxed differently (exemption like disabled as mentioned above) to the class of the vehicle and it can't just be changed over.

Soldato
I had a similar thing years ago - the previous owner was disabled and the supplying dealer needed to go to a local DVLA office to get the tax class changed before he could tax it in the normal way and sell it to me (I'm not disabled). This was way back in 2008.
My issue was the dealer drove it too my house then took the courtesy car I'd borrowed back. I'd of been stuck as the post office is about 3 miles away and I had 2 young kids at the time.

Man of Honour
Back
Top Bottom