Laptop for around £400

Associate
Hi all,

My nephew is looking for a laptop for around £400, will be used for school work but with a preference towards gaming if that is possible at that price point, I have had a look around but couldn't find something that suits his wishes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Soldato
Hi :)

£400 dont buy you a lot when it comes to laptops TBH :( and even more so one that can game.
What games does he play?.

The only thing I can suggest is second hand as you wont get a new one for £400 that will be capable of gaming :(.

I think the cheapest gaming laptop currently is about £899 or around that area but even then thats not modern games on very high ETC ETC.

Associate
Picking up a laptop with a Ryzen 3500u shouldn't be too difficult for around £400. It has Vega 8 graphics which isn't the BEST for gaming but it is definitely competent.

Soldato
Bad time to buy, unfortunately.

I bought a Ryzen 3 3200U laptop for xmas for £298, from a competitor, and at the time the same model with a Ryzen 5 3500U was available for about £50 more. Either of those, particularly the Ryzen 5, would get you into some gaming. Here's that Ryzen 5 demoing some games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI0VqLtoXEI

But, with working from home pushing laptop sales, prices are through the roof. Those same two laptops are now £500 and £540.

Soldato
OP

Just popping back in after a few other comments to say sorry.
From what others have said it seems you can get a laptop capable of some gaming (better than I actually thought looking at the video posted from Cheesyboy).
I am infact thinking of looking for a laptop for some gaming and TBH was looking at the £800 range but TBH I would be happy with the performance of these £400 ones being shown.

Thanks I to have got some helpful info from this thread :)

Back
Top Bottom