PC crash help.

Associate
Not sure where else to post this. I have a custom built pc from overclockers ( a couple years old now ). And its started to get frequent crash's whilst playing higher demanding games. I can sit and play CSGO or League of legends all day without any crash, however recently been messing around on Warzone and GTA V and its almost certain that i will crash. Temps of CPU/GPU and not the issue as ive run programs to check these whilst playing. The crash is a screen freeze with a horrible buzzing like noise ( through the headset, not physically from the tower ) followed shortly after by a restart. Im by far a whizz on computers and dont fancy messing around with anything until i get some more advice. I know for you to help me youll need more information but point me in the right direction to get this and ill post it as soon as i can. Appreciate the help in advance.

Soldato
from memory a freeze with horrible buzzing sound is down to one of two things, firstly i'd look at updating all of your drivers, look at motherboard chipset, sata, lan and audio drivers, next on the list would be gpu drivers. If the above doesn't fix the crashing issues it could be down to a failing psu, head online and download hwmoniter and run, within this program will show what voltages your psu is outputting, if any are more than 10% off then there could be a problem.

for reference atx spec's for normal operation are

12v (11.4v at the lowest and 12.6v max)
5v (4.6v at the lowest and 5.4v max)
3.3v (3v at the lowest and 3.7v max)

ideally your psu should be very close to the 12v, 5v and 3.3v so if your just below or above thats ok (0.3v either way), but before we look at the psu update all your drivers and see if the crashing goes away, if so happy days (no need to look at the psu)

Associate
OP
Intel i7-8700k
Nvidia Geforce 1080 Ti
8x2 T-Force Night hawk ram.

Graphics driver are compeletly up to date.

Could it be a faulty RAM that could cause the crash?

Soldato
My money would be on something GPU related, are they becoming more frequent? (The crashes)

The fact you only get it on more demanding games, could be PSU, but I'd reckon it's possibly a slowly developing fault on the GPU.

Have you run benchmark tests? Also, when do the crashes occur, is it only after some time of playing, or sometimes straight away?

Associate
OP
All drivers up to date. Run the Hwmonitor and everything seems normal within that. Run SuperPosition benchmark, every was okay no crash or anything, GPU went to 77 degrees.

Soldato
ok then we need to look at overclocking then, if drivers and voltages look ok, i'd say its either the cpu or the gpu or both. Have you got any overclock's applied? If so remove all and see if the pc behaves normally, if it does then somethings been set too high (gpu) or not enough voltage has been applied under oc conditions (cpu)

Associate
OP
It come overclocked, and as i said its only recently been happening. Being around 2 years old now could the overclocked just need to be removed or lowered as the components age? Ill remove the overclocks and see how it goes regardless.

Associate
Go into your bios and save your current settings as a profile, reboot back into the bios and then load optimised defaults if there no crashes its you OC and then all you need to do is go into bios load the OC profile you saved at the start and tweak it.

Soldato
it could very well be the case, especially cpu's they almost always start to degrade over long periods of time under oc conditions you may find it will still overclock as before but will require more voltage to hold the clock, gpu's are different as the voltage is software/hardware locked and can only go so far to avoid damage, cpu's aren't and if pushed too far they can and will die

Soldato
it could very well be the case, especially cpu's they almost always start to degrade over long periods of time under oc conditions you may find it will still overclock as before but will require more voltage to hold the clock, gpu's are different as the voltage is software/hardware locked and can only go so far to avoid damage, cpu's aren't and if pushed too far they can and will die

Argh, he didn't say it was overclocked.... But yes, I'd say almost 100% you are correct and this is some CPU degredation.

Soldato
I had a similar issue with a BRIX and it was 100% the RAM. The whole screen would just freeze and if any music was playing that would loop a split second of it making a horrible noise.

I am not sure if the RAM was borked but it was not on the tested memory list for the BRIX, so it might have been a compatibility issue.

Back
Top Bottom