Chicken Shish Kebab Marinade.

Soldato
OP
I used to live in Reading until fairly recently... if I still did I would have happily dropped off the uncooked chicken and flatbreads to you... Ah well kebab for breakfast tomorrow!

Soldato
OP
Looks pretty good. I know the flabour you're looking for. I normally just use a bit of curry powder and salt, oil and stick it on the griddle :)

Give this a go as well; it's seriously good:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18266815

I tried it, and it was nice, but my problem with any indian food is that I can't make it anywhere as near as well as my mum does, and her Chicken Tikka is awesome.

Man of Honour
Not chicken but

Lamb
Coriander seed
Cumin seed
Smoke paprika
Paprika
Garlic
Lemon juice
Olive oil

Served with onion, pepper, coleslaw, chilli sauce and mint sauce
1320771709930.jpg

1320771790654.jpg

Soldato
Here is one I use and is very close to the take aways

Lemon Juice 1/4 cup
Few cloves of garlic or a tps of powder/paste
1/4 tsp Cayenne
1tsp Paprika
1tsp Cumin
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
Pinch of salt/pepper and oregano.
Bumping this thread.

Me and the GF googled "chicken shish kebab marinade" on the weekend and this thread came up. Thanks @robnut this marinade worked a treat.

We live in a flat, with a balcony and we're not allowed a BBQ, so we fried it at really high temperature and it still came out fantastic. In wraps with salad + sauces. Anyone else want to share some other kebab marinades?

Associate
Bumping this thread.

Me and the GF googled "chicken shish kebab marinade" on the weekend and this thread came up. Thanks @robnut this marinade worked a treat.

We live in a flat, with a balcony and we're not allowed a BBQ, so we fried it at really high temperature and it still came out fantastic. In wraps with salad + sauces. Anyone else want to share some other kebab marinades?

No problem! Still use it few times a month to this day. :)

Soldato
This is my go-to marinade for shish chicken, should do 500g ish (4-5 kebabs):

150-200g Greek yogurt (full fat if available)
1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
1/2 Tsp Salt
1/2 Tsp Pepper
1/2 Tsp Turmeric (for colour)
1/4 Tsp Fenugreek
1/2 Tsp Corriander
1/2 Tsp Cumin (whole seeds)
1/4 Tsp Chilli flakes or paprika
2 Tbsp Olive oil
and 3-4 cloves of Garlic, minced

It's the closest I've managed to get to the local kebab place.

Associate
9 Year old recipe thats still going, impressive. Does it work just as well with lamb or the recipes different? Have the luxury of being able to BBQ where I'm staying currently which isn't usual, so kebabs are sounding like a great idea

Soldato
Bumping this thread.

Another annual bump for this thread! I found it the same way - it was one of the top google results :cry:

Is this recipe similar to the chicken you'd get in a "chicken kebab" at a takeaway?

Anyone got any other suggestions, otherwise, I'll be giivng this one a go - it looks nice and simple too with common ingredients :)

Soldato
Don't add yoghurt for Turkish style chicken.....

Oil, lemon juice and powdered spices.

I normally make it up each time, paprika, garlic powder, cayenne, cumin, tumeric, salt and pepper, msg.

Or a more Indian style, garlic powder, ground coriander, cumin, garam masala, tumeric, cayenne, salt pepper, msg, again lemon juice and oil.

The proportions of each vary depending.

When you do the salad lightly coat that in oil and vinegar like cider vinegar or white wine vinegar.

Soldato
I use Turkish Sumac for a few dishes and can highly recommend it.

z1tjegc.jpg

Soldato
i always look for the chilli sauce marinade the turkish do for kebabs. trying to find a good recipe.
Is it the chilli sauce as a side you are looking for?
If so do a search for Turkish ezme sauce and add more chillies to your taste.
Its not exactly the same as kebab shop chilli sauce bit it's pretty close

Caporegime
Is it the chilli sauce as a side you are looking for?
If so do a search for Turkish ezme sauce and add more chillies to your taste.
Its not exactly the same as kebab shop chilli sauce bit it's pretty close
cheers seen tesco actually do it in a jar lol. dunno if good but people rate it. my local turkish kebab place is amazing but the prices they take the pee in the last year. gone from 7.50 for a lamb shish to 14.00. there chilli sauce is amazing you could literally poor on any veg even if not a veg fan and devour it. so kinda looking for something similar as doesnt seem complicated just finding what is actually called.

Soldato
I use Turkish Sumac for a few dishes and can highly recommend it.

z1tjegc.jpg

This is radically different to the other recipes, which have things like paprika and cinnammon.

Soldato
This is radically different to the other recipes, which have things like paprika and cinnammon.

Dare to be different :)

I bought mine originally as I was asked to make Acili Ezme that the family had enjoyed at a local Turkish and as there was plenty left over I've found other uses for it.

pOwYsx7.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom