**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S20 Family Thread ****

Samsung had a sale on over the easter weekend, which has now expired. The only S20-series phone the code worked on was the S20+ in blue, so if you wanted anything else, you didn't miss out.

Failing that, Samsung have a 15% discount on for students or blue light card holders that works on all phones (though trade in values are reduced and you can't go on the upgrade program if using the discount). If you know someone who qualifies, that'll bring the price down. Also 5% cashback through Quidco at the moment, which should stack.

Thanks! I do work in the NHS, so will have a gander :)

Associate
Samsung are getting battered in the online media about the S20 Ultra Exynos version at the moment. Is it actually as bad as they are making out?

If I just took everything at face value I would think that: the phone throttles after 10 mins of heavy use, The camera focus is an absolute mess and the battery is crap.

It can't be that bad surely?

Associate
Samsung are getting battered in the online media about the S20 Ultra Exynos version at the moment. Is it actually as bad as they are making out?

If I just took everything at face value I would think that: the phone throttles after 10 mins of heavy use, The camera focus is an absolute mess and the battery is crap.

I can speak of my experience here but i already have in several posts on here. it depends what you want really not everyone is unhappy not everyone is experiencing those problems. i am not for instance. I am pretty sure if you look at all current high end phones there will be a mix bag of happy people and unhappy people. the trouble is you only normally tend to see negative comments most of the time not so much of the positive comments. If your happy with your phone you have no reason to look up to see if anyone else is feeling the same way as you do. Nut as someone also posted in this thread those types of people who are lets just say least happy. are the types of people what look at you tube relives post on forums like this. the majority of people just do not do this i think.

Soldato

If you don't game on your phone, you won't notice the frame rate drops and the overheating that are present with Exynos, but not with the Snapdragon version. If you don't use your phone too much, you probably won't notice the significantly worse battery life from the Exynos model either.

If you don't game, don't care about battery and you're happy paying the same price for the substandard SoC as people in other regions pay for the Snapdragon version, the S20 is a great buy. Otherwise, think long and hard before purchase and don't pay RRP.

Soldato
If you don't game on your phone, you won't notice the frame rate drops and the overheating that are present with Exynos, but not with the Snapdragon version. If you don't use your phone too much, you probably won't notice the significantly worse battery life from the Exynos model either.

If you don't game, don't care about battery and you're happy paying the same price for the substandard SoC as people in other regions pay for the Snapdragon version, the S20 is a great buy. Otherwise, think long and hard before purchase and don't pay RRP.
You should also be asking yourself, if you don't do any of those cpu intensive tasks, do you need a high end flagship phone at all?

Soldato
You should also be asking yourself, if you don't do any of those cpu intensive tasks, do you need a high end flagship phone at all?

True, but there aren't many budget phones with 120hz screens, nor so many that have cameras as good as those on the Samsung. Many of the budget phones are also Chinese and some people might - in the current circumstances - choose a manufacturer that isn't Chinese and doesn't make their phones in China either. Samsung is one of the few companies that ticks both of those boxes.

Soldato

My view is its blown way out of proportion and funnily enough its mainly people who don't own the phone who are so irate about it.
From what people are saying its like the Exynos isn't the 2nd fastest SOC in a phone.

As far as the gaming and overheating comments i've played games for ages on it and had no problems, the battery is good in my opinion and the only actual issue i've had is that this green tinge happens within some apps very rarely since the last update but i'm sure that will be patched in a week or so.

As far as camera focusing goes i'd say its fixed now, but it was never quite the issue it was made out to be anyway.

Soldato
My view is its blown way out of proportion and funnily enough its mainly people who don't own the phone who are so irate about it.
From what people are saying its like the Exynos isn't the 2nd fastest SOC in a phone.

A13, A12, probably the A11 in some tasks, Snapdragon 865, Snapdragon 855+ in some cases and then comes the Exynos.

There is plenty of evidence showing the described problems, so it's not people getting irate for the hell of it.

Associate

As far as the gaming and overheating comments i've played games for ages on it and had no problems, the battery is good in my opinion and the only actual issue i've had is that this green tinge happens within some apps very rarely since the last update but i'm sure that will be patched in a week or so.

As far as camera focusing goes i'd say its fixed now, but it was never quite the issue it was made out to be anyway.
+1

Associate
A13, A12, probably the A11 in some tasks, Snapdragon 865, Snapdragon 855+ in some cases and then comes the Exynos.

There is plenty of evidence showing the described problems, so it's not people getting irate for the hell of it.
on the other flip side of the coin. you can also in the comments see plenty of people from the uk saying it is nonsense or has not even seen some of the iues lol.

Soldato
on the other flip side of the coin. you can also in the comments see plenty of people from the uk saying it is nonsense or has not even seen some of the iues lol.

It's great that you're happy with your 1200 quid phone, but don't try to deny that the problems exist. The exynos battery life is worse than that on the snapdragon. Maybe some people still don't drain the battery in a day (I'm sure most don't) but that doesn't mean there's no difference. Probably most people play games that are no more taxing than candy crush but that doesn't mean other games don't drop to 15fps on the exynos.

It's an inferior SoC.

Associate
There was a video on YouTube of a guy doing a
battery test of a few phones, s20 ultra, oneplus 8 Pro, iPhone 11 max Pro etc.

Usual type of test, same settings I.e. brightness, 120hz where available, opened the same apps, games etc at the same time and timed it.

The s20 ultra was exynos version and it tanked compared to oneplus 8 snapdragon. It last something like 1hr 30 minutes longer. Considering the s20 ultra is a 5000mah battery compared to 4500 and I think he ran the oneplus at full res and 120hz too.

Thats a big gap and shows how bad the battery is on exynos.

I have to top up my s20+ everyday, similar daily usage to my note 9 and that lasted all day easily with plenty spare.

Soldato
There was a video on YouTube of a guy doing a
battery test of a few phones, s20 ultra, oneplus 8 Pro, iPhone 11 max Pro etc.

Usual type of test, same settings I.e. brightness, 120hz where available, opened the same apps, games etc at the same time and timed it.

The s20 ultra was exynos version and it tanked compared to oneplus 8 snapdragon. It last something like 1hr 30 minutes longer. Considering the s20 ultra is a 5000mah battery compared to 4500 and I think he ran the oneplus at full res and 120hz too.

Thats a big gap and shows how bad the battery is on exynos.

I have to top up my s20+ everyday, similar daily usage to my note 9 and that lasted all day easily with plenty spare.

Yep saw the same Tech chap video. It's not gravy and would put me off the S20 series unless there was a good discount going.

Soldato
wondamobile. Ordered on the Wednesday received it the following Tuesday. Works great in the uk. Samsung pay doesn’t work mind

Anything else that doesn't work or just Samsung pay? I'd have a vanilla s20 if it came with the SD SoC but am wary of importing. The resale will probably be awful as well.

Associate
Anything else that doesn't work or just Samsung pay? I'd have a vanilla s20 if it came with the SD SoC but am wary of importing. The resale will probably be awful as well.
I read (XDA forum) that Samsung has disabled 5G on imported devices - you'll see that those sites will open the box to activate the phone before shipping, this is where I imagine Samsung apply the block.

Back
Top Bottom