GamersNexus Arctic Freezer II 280 review

Associate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPaSEGe6ML0

Wanted to make a new thread as it's good to a see a non asetek and an inexpensive cooler that takes the crown. At the price this comes in at, it's virtually a no brainer unless RGB is key priority for you. Looking forward to seeing their teardown next.

I've mentioned my fondness of the 360mm version here a few times. I also made a comparison to another powerful AIO here: https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments/dti3jg/alphacool_lt_360mm_vs_arctic_freezer_ii_360mm/

Overall, I have and continue to highly recommend this to anyone with a high end chip and is looking to push it. As noted by GN, it's *VERY* quiet also when delivering close it's max performance so you don't have to turn it into a jet engine to get performance out of it.

@MartinPrince tagging you since you were interested.

One thing not mentioned by GN that is very important to me. The unit simply works off your CPU/AIO header on the mobo. It does not need any bloatware to make it work.

Soldato
I've exchanged CAM for liquidctl from github. Its a standalone .exe that only needs to be placed in the system path and setup once a reboot as opposed to a service or taskbar application. I only have 4 mobo headers so it suits me that my X72 only uses 1.

I was just at this article on a bunch of AIOs tested against each other: https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3296-nzxt-kraken-x72-review-and-benchmark

Soldato
This AIO is incredible, I saw the video today too. It cools the motherboard VRMs well, that little fan is not a gimmick and the AIO is very quiet even at 100% fan speed (quieter than a Noctua NH-D15), this is an area that these liquid coolers can struggle with so I was very impressed. It's also incredible value for money, close to a high end air cooler in price and much cheaper than equivalent AIOs. The only thing that concerns me is the 2 year warranty, any idea why it's so short?

Man of Honour
I see, so it's nothing to do with it being less reliable than for instance a Corsair unit with a 5 year warranty?
i didn't say that :p i said it's one way to keep prices low
freezer 2 has only been released for less than a year...we don't really know its reliability

Soldato
This is correct. Once the teardown happens, I'd expect GN to provide their guidance on the qualify of the products used, mainly the pump and hoses.
I'm looking forward to that as well. I'm thinking of changing my Swiftech AIO but I do like the fact that I can now easily change the fluid which avoids the permeation of CLC's.

I would like them to also test the 360 version to see how it compares. From their previous tests on the Kraken X62/X72
the X62 came out top on a few metrics so it would be good to see if that follows suit here with the 280 doing better than the 360.

Associate
OP
I'm looking forward to that as well. I'm thinking of changing my Swiftech AIO but I do like the fact that I can now easily change the fluid which avoids the permeation of CLC's.

I would like them to also test the 360 version to see how it compares. From their previous tests on the Kraken X62/X72
the X62 came out top on a few metrics so it would be good to see if that follows suit here with the 280 doing better than the 360.

I have a 360 because my case (haf x) doesn't support anything else. It'd be a good test to see though. Also would like to see a test where these coolers are pushed to their point of failure to see what the maximum load they can handle is. Don't know why that's never included.

Soldato
I have a 360 because my case (haf x) doesn't support anything else. It'd be a good test to see though. Also would like to see a test where these coolers are pushed to their point of failure to see what the maximum load they can handle is. Don't know why that's never included.
the 10900k will be a good test of this.

Soldato
I'm using a Cosmos II but have previously drilled holes to accommodate a 280mm (I've also got two HAF-X's in my household ;)). I could go with either the 280 or 360 but just want the quietest per cooling performance, which is why I like GN's noise normalised tests.

It would be good to see them test a 250w+ CPU to see how well they cool, though I suppose the 200W 3950X test is still better than most.

Back
Top Bottom