scan to home server

dsb

dsb

Associate
So due to working from home, both me and the GF have bought a xerox 3345 printer scanner, i have set it up to scan to SMB, which drops scans in a convenient location but i have to keep updating the ip address as it changes a few times a month i don't have a business line, therefore no static ip.

Is it worth setting up a small home server, if so what do i go for, please bear in mind cost and will be setting up a ftp be the best option?

i have been out of the IT game for years now and setting up the SMB was interesting so dont mind working it out if its not to trying.

i would also like to use the server for photo backup up ect, we both use onedrive for work so thats also an option if i could scan to that location.

Soldato
Where's/what's this convenient location in relation to the scanner?

Having a static IP depends on the ISP rather than whether it's a business or domestic connection. If you need a pseudo-static WAN address could you use a DDNS service?

dsb

dsb

Associate
OP
I'm with sky, we have an account each set up on the printer and the scans go direct to our PC which is ok other than having to change the ip settings every 5-6 days, we both scan a lot, some of it is sensitive personal info and i think if i could scan direct to work one-drive it would be more in line with current GDPR policy's. My laptop is work but hers is not.

Soldato
So you're scanning over your LAN? (Which makes more sense).

Having a static IP on your LAN has nothing to do with your ISP. You can either set on locally on the PC or, if the router allows it, set an IP reservation so the PC is always allocated the same IP address.

dsb

dsb

Associate
OP
So you're scanning over your LAN? (Which makes more sense).

Having a static IP on your LAN has nothing to do with your ISP. You can either set on locally on the PC or, if the router allows it, set an IP reservation so the PC is always allocated the same IP address.

yes scanning over LAN, all wifi.

Do i set the IP reservation on the router? if so this makes life easier. (standard sky router)

Thanks for the help

Soldato
@dsb, if you are scanning to shared folders on your computers and the IP address of the computers keep changing have you tried replacing the IP address with the hostname of the computers? This will save you needing to set static IP on your work laptop, assuming you have Admin privileges to do so, and configuring DHCP settings on your home router.

Back
Top Bottom